What's the lesson of the Chiefs superbowl victory?

ragingraider

I'm curious to know what everyone took from the Chief's victory.

For me, it reiterated that great QB's are necessary 90% of the time to win the big game. You need a QB who is at least clutch and efficient. Montana, Brady, Bradshaw, Young, Favre, Aikman, Unitas, Starr, Starbauch, Namath, etc. Their are a few outliers, but mediocre QB's are not the norm. Defense is important. I would say an above average defense and a top five QB is the formula. 

I don't think Carr is ever going to be a top QB, and in a division that Mahomes is going to be in for the next 10 years we are going nowhere unless we roll the dice on a new QB soon. We may end up with a bum, but Carr's mediocrity isn't going to get it done, so it shouldn't stop us from taking our shot.

• Like 2

I was just about to post this actually in a different thread. 

Lesson is, the NFL is different now. The #2 defense in the NFL behind Buffalo just got smoked by the Chiefs for 31 points. 

No matter how good of a defense we build, our QB and HC need to be able to keep up with Mahomes and Reid for the next 10 years. I semi-trust Gruden, I don’t have ANY faith in Carr to ever keep up with Mahomes/Reid. The Chiefs are literally the worst possible matchup for Carr in every Rick and Morty Alternate Universe with his conservative style. He’s 0-9 against the Chiefs on Sundays with Reid having a week to prepare and that will turn into 0-20 if we let it. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1. Shanahan has a monkey on his back now.

2. Defense officially helps you win championships but also need a little help.

3. We will be #2 in the division until we find a DC that can figure out Reid and/or we have a great all  around team.

4. It hurts to say it but Mahomes is an amazing QB.

Lesson is prretty much the same as every Superbowl. The team with the better QB wins. Shanahan didn't trust Jimmy G in that game and it showed. Where as Reid knew they could win as long as Mahomes played his game.

Further... The Gruden reboot has a Mahomes problem. They are the class of the NFL. Dude is 24 and the best QB in the game. The Raiders need a defense that can stop him and a QB that can compete against him. 

Reiterated what I already knew about the Raiders. They are not winning anything with Carr at QB. You have to chase greatness at QB to stand a chance now in the AFC West.

• Like 4

The only thing people should take from this game is that Defense wins Super Bowl‘s.

When Patrick Mahomes was playing terrible the defense kept them in a game , they caused turnovers, harassed Jimmy G,  they gave  Patrick the ball in good field position time and time again.

I'm not miserable about this but man do I hate the chiefs! Ugly colors, stupid turtlenecks their players wear under their jerseys, chiefs kingdom is the lamest team nickname, the fact that their fans stole a team chant from two other teams, not to mention the fact that their qb is just so hard to beat and our team struggled to beat them before he ended up there. Hopefully this is their last one. Unfortunately I think Chris Jones hitting free agency is a pipedream but he probably will get or want close to Donald money. Between him and Mahomes, they will probably make around 60 mil a year. Two dominant players, but it will be hard to build around that 

• Like 1

^^I don't think Jones is a Chief next year. They signed Hill and Clark to big contracts and they have to sign Mahomes. Can't take on another huge contract on top of that. Jones trade value should be at his highest this offseason so i think they use him to add draft picks to surround what they have with cheaper talent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

^^I don't think Jones is a Chief next year. They signed Hill and Clark to big contracts and they have to sign Mahomes. Can't take on another huge contract on top of that. Jones trade value should be at his highest this offseason so i think they use him to add draft picks to surround what they have with cheaper talent.

Yeah I dont see how they keep jones. He has to be the highest defender paid this offseason. 

The lesson to me is to keep your foot on the gas and not settle for fgs. When you have the ball you gotta keep getting positive yards. In that penultimate drive for the Niners they gained zero yards in 4 downs. The play calling was odd and when they went deep Jimmy G over threw Sanders for a go ahead TD. The defense did its job but the Niners needed to score more. The Chiefs shut down Kittle. To me it shows the value of of having several different great targets. The Niners WRs are average at best. This really reinforced the idea that the Raiders need a #1 elite WR. 

My main takeaways

1. Andy Reid is one of the best in the business. So happy he got himself a ring. Maybe he will retire after next year now that he got his ring.

2. Bellemy will be a HC next year. IDK how much he plays into the offense game planning and scheming. But his play calling is really good. 

3. Mahomes isn't that great. Andy gave Mahomes mismatches ALL GAME LONG and Patty missed them for 3 Q's. That game should have been 51-14.

4. The Niners defense was exposed the second half of the season. I am sorry but I can scheme an offense to beat a defense that rushes 4 and drops 7 into 3 deep coverage. They will come back to earth and go 8-8 unless they get a huge influx of TALENT. They are the 2016 Raiders with a defense instead of the offense. 

5. Defense is over rated. Offense wins championships.