Jimmy G is a bum and over rated

Vladimir L

58 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, you're choosing to judge him on a single play? Or a single game?

That's a really poor way to look at it, IMO.

He missed Kittle multiple times in the 4th quarter. It was really bad. Like costing your team the Super Bowl bad. 

he didn’t exactly impress in the postseason either. In fact Shanny moved away from Jimmy whenever he made mistakes throughout the postseason 

couldn’t hide behind the run in the SB though.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Alex Smith was the same tier quarterback as Jimmy G in my opinion, so I don't really think that the second sentence is a dig if it was meant to be. 

And I don't understand how a bad quarter of football somehow encapsulates the entire body of his playing career as though he doesn't hit Kittle a ton on those routes. He had a bad quarter. It happens. 

If there’s one thing Alex could Do it was hit an open guy within 10 yards. Something we’re both well aware of. Maybe that option isn’t open if it’s Smith. But he’s Admiral Checkdown in his prime.

and he’s an idiot if he’d rather hit a covered option then a wide open one. You could see Kittle just getting more and more frustrated too.

These things do happen and it what gets you called a bum. no shame just accept it and play better next time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He missed Kittle multiple times in the 4th quarter. It was really bad. Like costing your team the Super Bowl bad. 

So your standard is a single quarter, not even a single game.

Ok... you do you.

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

he didn’t exactly impress in the postseason either. In fact Shanny moved away from Jimmy whenever he made mistakes throughout the postseason 

He didn't have to do much in the GB game, or in the Minnesota game. He didn't do enough to warrent a good or bad performance either way. 

So, I'm still not sure how you're making this judgement. Is he in the 25-32 range? That's all I need to know from you.

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

If there’s one thing Alex could Do it was hit an open guy within 10 yards. Something we’re both well aware of. Maybe that option isn’t open if it’s Smith. But he’s Admiral Checkdown in his prime.

He was fourth in completion percentage this year at 69%. I don't think hitting open guys is really a problem unless you're seriously basing his entire aptitude as a quarterback on the fourth quarter of this game. 

7 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

and he’s an idiot if he’d rather hit a covered option then a wide open one. You could see Kittle just getting more and more frustrated too.

He does have his less than intelligent moments. A lot of mid tier quarterbacks do. Matt Stafford threw 27 ints one game against the Jets (this may be hyperbole). 

It's not like he was actively avoiding him. He definitely missed him wide open on one throw. But the pass Jones batted down was targeted at kittle.

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

These things do happen and it what gets you called a bum. no shame just accept it and play better next time.

I suppose this depends on what you're meaning. Nobody should argue that he played like a bum in the fourth quarter. That is not debatable. But that doesn't mean you're a bum in general. 

So I guess that would be my question. Are you saying he was a bum in the game, or saying he's a bum in general and deserves to be labeled as such in totality? He needed to play better in that final quarter, and some credit needs to go to KC defense for manning up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hukos said:

If you pause this frame you'll see in the 1984 Super Bowl that Dan Marino missed this wide open WR, therefore he's trash. My grandpa could totally make that read and throw. The fact that he never got back to the Super Bowl ever again proves my point that he's a gutless choker and garbage.

Something tells me that Jimmy G will never have the career or the accolades to make up for it like Marino did. 

idk tho I’ve been wrong before

So I get how NET is some mysterious word that you could never Google but I will explain:

• Take the points Manning's offenses have scored in Super Bowls.
  • Now take the points that Manning's offenses have allowed the defenses to score and subtract them from the above total
  • Now divide that new number by 4 Super Bowls.
  • You get 12 net points and its pathetic refried hot garbage in the middle of a clown show.

Watch the game highlights from a bunch of Jimmy G games on YouTube and count the + throws.

There are a lot of them. Shanahan calls him the human JUGGS machine for his quick and fast release.

His 75.9 playoff passer rating is better than Lamar at 68.3 and is on par with River's playoff passer rating in his 20s.

You don't give up on any of those guys for poor play in a very limited playoff sample size.

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Something tells me that Jimmy G will never have the career or the accolades to make up for it like Marino did. 

idk tho I’ve been wrong before

Marino had a pretty interesting career.

He was insane his first 4 years and he was just a pretty good QB the rest of his career.

• 142 to 67 TDs (2.11 to 1) vs 278 to 185 (1.50 to 1)
  • 95.2 rating to 83.5 
  • 60.9% completions to 58.9%
  • 7.9 ypa to 7.2 ypa
  • 41-16 (.719) record to 106-77 (.579)

It wasn't really an accident that he never got back to the Super Bowl.

• BTW: Marino did play in 2 more AFCCGs and his passer ratings were 54.9 and  56.5 (worse than Jimmy G's or even his own Super Bowl)
    • His completion percentage in those 2 games was 45.2%

It also probably helped that the Dolphins team that drafted him late in round 1 was in the Super Bowl the year before. (loaded with talent)

• They were 7-2 in the strike season of '82 , won 3 playoff games by 14+ and were 11-4-1 the year before that losing the epic 41-38 playoff game to San Diego.

He's still a no-brainer first ballot HoF QB, but he was not a GoAT level QB for his entire career.

Edited by SkippyX

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

So your standard is a single quarter, not even a single game.

Ok... you do you.

He didn't have to do much in the GB game, or in the Minnesota game. He didn't do enough to warrent a good or bad performance either way. 

So, I'm still not sure how you're making this judgement. Is he in the 25-32 range? That's all I need to know from you.

In the biggest moment of your life. This isn’t the 4th quarter against the 2019 Redskins or something.

I will say he played well in the beginning, especially when play action opened things up, but when they needed legit pass plays. He fell way short, can’t miss designed routes to your biggest playmaker. Felt like minishan got a lot of heat for Garoppolo miscues honestly.

He threw it like 16 times total before the SB, seems to be a lack of trust there. Usually you trust your QB to throw the ball more than Tim Tebow.

I’d say he’s in that Alex Smith tier. Not great but not exactly bad either. Better arm strength, More of a gunslinger so more turnovers as a result. Middling like 16thish.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I’d say he’s in that Alex Smith tier. Not great but not exactly bad either. Better arm strength, More of a gunslinger so more turnovers as a result. Middling like 16thish.

I don't think anyone is trying to sell it anywhere beyond that mid range guy. That's not a bum. 

That's all @Forge and I are saying.

• Like 2

• Jared Goff was just plain awful in the Super Bowl
  • Cam Newton was a bad player and a coward.
  • Lamar Jackson is a joke in the playoffs
  • Matt Ryan did not score a point in his last 4 Super Bowl possessions. (including losing a fumble)

I am OK with saying Jimmy deserves a salary and a rating somewhere around those guys.

• Like 1

Alex Smith led the league in passer rating 1 year and was a pair of Kyle Williams muffs from facing Brady in the Super Bowl in SF.

Here are his numbers from Age 27 onward:

• Regular Season Record:  75-35-1
  • Playoff Record: 2-5
    • Kyle Williams x2
    • Insane Luck comeback with lots of Chiefs injuries
    • Mariota self pass, Kelce concussion,  and blatant game fixing by a ref forced to resign afterwords (both forward progress calls on Mariota fumbles)
      • This is the only NFL game I have ever watched that actually felt like it was being thrown by the refs
    • A meh game in Foxboro most noted for a pair of SB winning coaches screwing up the 7 minute drive at the end (Reid and Pederson)
    • Pittsburgh kicked his butt
  • Passer rating: 94.0
  • TD/INT: 2.96 to 1
  • Playoff passer rating: 97.4
  • Playoff TD/INT: 7 to 1

If Jimmy G can give them Alex Smith production without his bad playoff Luck (pun intended) then SF fans should all be thrilled.

People who insult Alex Smith or point to him as mediocre are really really bad at football analysis.

• Heck, he was even 6-4 on a DC team that finished 7-9
    • 2 games over .500 at 9-7 is the best Cousins could ever do in DC.

If Carson Wentz can give me Alex Smith numbers on good teams and people still consider him mediocre, I will be fine.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

On 2/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, ET80 said:

I don't think anyone is trying to sell it anywhere beyond that mid range guy. That's not a bum. 

That's all @Forge and I are saying.

Yep. They're just labeling him one of the most clutch QBs last season, and a calling him the reason the 49ers were in the Super Bowl. I'm here to detract those statements.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:31 PM, Chiefer said:

He threw it like 16 times total before the SB, seems to be a lack of trust there. Usually you trust your QB to throw the ball more than Tim Tebow.

The 49ers averaged over 200 rushing yards on the ground in the two games prior to the SB - in games where the defense held the opposing offense to 10 and 20 points respectively. Enough to make it a 3 possession game in each affair.

So you’re saying in light of that, if Kyle Shanahan trusted Jimmy, he should’ve just had Jimmy airing it out instead? How in the world does that make sense? 

Yeah, it proves the 49ers were a run-first team, but that wasn’t exactly a secret at any point this season. There didn’t seem to be a mistrust when Garoppolo was airing it out in the second half of the SB.