Jimmy G is a bum and over rated

Vladimir L

Wasn’t Mahomes himself largely throwing checkdowns and/or incomplete passes/interceptions until that 3rd and 15 to Hill?

I suppose you could make the argument that that only proves Clark’s point since the Chiefs were losing when he was doing that though.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

Jimmy G just missed out on the 4,000 yard + 30 TD club this year, but yep, terrible QB....totally...

Man, I just wish Jimmy knew how to be a competent QB....

Yes, he missed some throws in Super Bowl, especially the overthrown deep pass to Sanders late in the 4th. But to stand on your soapbox and proclaim Jimmy G is not a good QB is a lazy assessment. Will he be Patrick Mahomes? No, he won't. But he's a very good QB on a Super Bowl contending team. 

On 2/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, N4L said:

He's a viking fan, and they got smacked down by the niners with Garoppolo not doing much after the first drive of the game. Probably not the only reason, but I'm sure that there are a lot of Vikings fans who don't like the Niners right now 

I'm a Vikings fan and I have no problem whatsoever with the Niners.  If you beat us in the playoffs (and you don't cheat in order to do it), then more power to you.  I have been saying for quite a while now that the Niners were the class of the NFC this year.

• Like 1

I think you can blame a significant portion of the loss on Jimmy G, but that doesn't make him a trash QB now and forever. Guys fail sometimes. It happens. John Elway was straight up garbage in all of his Super Bowl losses (you can blame those losses on the other teams being better but John was not good in any of them). He still ended up being a really good QB. We have no idea what the future holds for Jimmy G.

If he's great in 2020, he likely gets an extension. If he regresses and is trash in 2020, then the 49ers will likely look to move on.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I think you can blame a significant portion of the loss on Jimmy G, but that doesn't make him a trash QB now and forever. Guys fail sometimes. It happens. John Elway was straight up garbage in all of his Super Bowl losses (you can blame those losses on the other teams being better but John was not good in any of them). He still ended up being a really good QB. We have no idea what the future holds for Jimmy G.

If he's great in 2020, he likely gets an extension. If he regresses and is trash in 2020, then the 49ers will likely look to move on.

Why would we extend him so early

Looking at stats without considering the qb friendliness of Shannahan's scheme/the amount of YAC in that offense is just disengenuous. Not to mention he was top 10 in dropped interceptions on a team that had the lowest depth of target in the league.

He's not terrible, but I can think of several quarterbacks who are better vertical passers and could get a lot more out of their offense.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2020 at 1:16 PM, Kirill said:

Can we give the Chiefs defense some credit? No? Okay.

Chris Jones was the Super Bowl MVP. If it wasn't for him my Niners would likely have won. With Williams a close second in the MVP ballot IMO. Those two players contributions will sadly be lost as history unfolds and the NFL concentrates on reminding everyone that Mahomes did it all on his own. Congrats on your win by the way (said through severely gritted teeth). 

I mean, he's been overrated by a lot of people for a while now, and the contract was obviously a desperation play in that...they had to pay the guy.  That was always an expected part of the acquisition price in trading for him.  Having to pay him big, before he'd proven anything.  But he's still at least an okay NFL starting QB...and he's with a team and a coach who can get the most out of a serviceable QB.  The other edge of that sword, is that i'm not sure someone like Shanny Jr would honestly be able to fully take advantage of a truly unique QB like Mahomes anyway.

Just has always felt to me like that "system" is a sort of "high floor" but "low ceiling" proposition overall.  It's great, and it can absolutely win championships...but it's really built to lean on a team as a unit, rather than put it all on a QBs shoulders for the most part.  It's really the sort of system where a guy like JimmyG can thrive...and symbiotically...he's the sort of QB who that system can thrive with.  It's just probably not going to be a deal where the QB is going to be the absolute star of the show.  And in all of that...they were still awfully darn close to a SuperBowl.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 3

Jimmy is not a terrible quarterback. His deep shots seem sloppy sometimes but he does what he's told and it's won them games.

16 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

Chris Jones was the Super Bowl MVP. If it wasn't for him my Niners would likely have won. With Williams a close second in the MVP ballot IMO. Those two players contributions will sadly be lost as history unfolds and the NFL concentrates on reminding everyone that Mahomes did it all on his own. Congrats on your win by the way (said through severely gritted teeth). 

Some people in this thread are literally blaming the loss on Jimmy G, it's the exact same thing but backwards.

"Mahomes won them the game alone", and "Jimmy G lost the niners the game alone" narratives and very little talked about in between.

9_9

• Like 2

There's a parallel universe somewhere where Kansas City's left tackle misses his block and Mahomes takes a sack on that 3rd and 15 play. KC punt and the next time Mahomes gets the ball is with 3 minutes left and his team trailing 27-10. KC lose and Mahomes is seen as choking in the biggest game of his career.

Such are the fine lines that sport is played on...

• Like 1