General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

Alright fellas, tough loss today for sure. I thought fate was on our side when we had a 10 point lead and the ball, but we weren't able to put them away. Yes, we choked on both sides of the ball, but we have a good team and a great group of guys and have a real opportunity to build a long term winner here. 

Here are our pending free agents:

Armstead

Ward

Sanders 

Garland 

Ronald Blair 

Matt breida (rfa)

Demontre Moore 

I think we all want to lock up armstead long term. I think we will be able to make a deal with him. He's from Sacramento and I think he will want to stay. 

Ward was phenomenal this year but might get more money from someone else. Tarvarious Moore gained valuable experience this year and should continue to improve, but I think it might make sense to tag him (hopefully y2 or forge can provide s tag numbers) 

Breida should get tendered with a 2nd/3rd round tender for 3ish million. He had a rough second half of the year, but he is a good #2/#3 back. Would be fine with trading him for a 5th or so if we add another runner (see below) 

Blair should get a reasonable 2 year deal from us off the ACL injury. He's a good rotational price. I think Moore will also be back in this role too.

Getting dj Jones back will help but it would make sense to add another nose to develop. Sheldon day should not see as many snaps as he did today given the other talent on the DL 

I want a legit bellcow running back. Coleman was cool but we can save 5m by cutting him and we can use that money for armstead/kittle/Buckner extensions. think we need to draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd. Obviously we don't have a 2nd 3rd 4th rounders. We will need to trade down once or twice and if we do that, we should be able to find a true 3 down back. Right now Jeff Wilson Jr is the best receiving back we have, that needs to change. If we can find a legit inside/outside runner who can catch passes, I think it would add another layer into what we can do. I like the running back from Alabama but I'm not sure if he is coming out. I think mostert is a great change of pace back to pair with a top flight talent at the position. The timing for our window would align with having a top flight runner on a rookie deal for 4 seasons. We can't take someone in the first though, will need to trade down to make that happen 

McKinnon will get cut and I am fine to bring him back on a one year vet min deal to compete in camp, but again, I want a legit running back for this team and I'm not sure he will make the roster 

I also want to get stronger on the interior OL. Person needs to be replaced and if Garland leaves we will need a backup C

Sanders seems like a great fit to stay long term. He didn't put up big stats but was a team player and seemed to buy in here. I think he will want to stay and won't be super expensive. Getting Hurd back will give us diversity at the position with regards to size and catch radius. Trent Taylor should be money for us in the slot 

We will undoubtedly restructure Garoppolo to move money around. It's a no brainier. He is here for the next few years at a reasonable number and has room to improve. I do think he will take steps forward next year. He needs to work on his movement within the pocket, among other things 

What are moves you guys would like to see to make a strong post season push next year? 

Edited by N4L

Fix the IOL, Revamp the WR group and draft another CB to replace Sherman. Sign Kittle and Armstead and pray to GOD we get another chance that we get back into Super Bowl very soon💔  I wanted it so ******* bad lol. Honestly our Offensive talent is just Kittle and Samuel we have players that fit the system but none that standout in the talent department. 

Edited by Dub_City30
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

wanted it so ******* bad l

We all did. The future is not guaranteed but I am confident we will be in the playoff mix for the foreseeable future. We aren't going to be the #1 seed every year, but if you can make the playoffs youve got a punchers chance and that's all you can ask for 

Important off-season for us. We are a complete team who needs to supplement talent for immediate winning, with our eyes on the future 

How can we get Joe Burreaux? :)

Seriously, I'm guessing Ward is gone. Maybe they go safety with their first pick, or give Moore a chance. So maybe corner. Sherman is getting older. Reminds, I want to see what the 49ers have in Tim Harris. Staley I think retires. So more offensive line help with a first round pick would be nice. Brunskill could be the future there though.

Armstead I think bounces for a big pay day. Sucks, but he's earned it. 

Hurd and Trent Taylor will be around to compete. I think the chances are they are JAGs, but we'll see.

Edited by PapaShogun

15 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Armstead I think bounces for a big pay day. Sucks, but he's earned it. 

He will get tagged at a minimum. If he's not on the roster it's because we tagged then traded him or our FO completely dropped the ball 

No reason to just let him walk. We need to run this thing back for at least one more season. Armstead is essentially irreplaceable. I mean, Solomon Thomas would essentially try to fill his role. 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

He will get tagged at a minimum. If he's not on the roster it's because we tagged then traded him or our FO completely dropped the ball 

No reason to just let him walk. We need to run this thing back for at least one more season. Armstead is essentially irreplaceable. I mean, Solomon Thomas would essentially try to fill his role. 

True. They could tag him. Better than tagging Ward.

49 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Hurd and Trent Taylor will be around to compete. I think the chances are they are JAGs, but we'll see.

I think they are fine in their roles. Taylor in the slot is good. He's got great wiggle and is good over the middle which is where Jimmy is at his best. Solid #4 rotational wr. 

Hurd definitely has upside and hopefully he will be able to develop into a good rz threat at a minimum. His size should be good blocking on the outside as well on running plays. He looked like an NFL wr in the one game he played lol 

25 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

BTW, this team needs more speed at WR. Our only true speedster Goodwin looks like a lost cause at this point. I know Shanahan's offense doesn't go as vertical as a lot of other offensive systems, but it would be nice to have a guy that could take the top off.

Good point. I know j has said this before too. 

Goodwin is gonna retire imo. What a bum. Did you see him complain about not being brought to Miami by the team until Thursday? Lol dude wanted a free trip to go party and we knew he'd be a distraction so we left him at home. Hilarious

Thinking about it more, Sanders probably won't come back unfortunately. We don't have the best wrs, but deebo Hurd Bourne Pettis Taylor James should be good enough in our system. I know a lot of people want tee Higgins or Odell etc etc and I just don't think we have the resources given our draft capital. We've spent so many resources on WRs already. Wes welker needs to develop the young guys we already have. 

Do we look to replace Richie James? He wasn't great but was good. We could do worse there but also could do better 

10 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think they are fine in their roles. Taylor in the slot is good. He's got great wiggle and is good over the middle which is where Jimmy is at his best. Solid #4 rotational wr. 

Hurd definitely has upside and hopefully he will be able to develop into a good rz threat at a minimum. His size should be good blocking on the outside as well on running plays. He looked like an NFL wr in the one game he played lol 

Good point. I know j has said this before too. 

Goodwin is gonna retire imo. What a bum. Did you see him complain about not being brought to Miami by the team until Thursday? Lol dude wanted a free trip to go party and we knew he'd be a distraction so we left him at home. Hilarious

Thinking about it more, Sanders probably won't come back unfortunately. We don't have the best wrs, but deebo Hurd Bourne Pettis Taylor James should be good enough in our system. I know a lot of people want tee Higgins or Odell etc etc and I just don't think we have the resources given our draft capital. We've spent so many resources on WRs already. Wes welker needs to develop the young guys we already have. 

Do we look to replace Richie James? He wasn't great but was good. We could do worse there but also could do better 

Weird that McKinnon got to fly with the team when he hadn't played a snap in two years lol.

I'd want Sanders back. Deebo isn't good enough to be the guy yet, and a guy like Jimmy needs all the help he can get. He'll be 33, but seems fine.

Edited by PapaShogun

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Weird that McKinnon got to fly with the team when he hadn't played a snap in two years lol.

I'd want Sanders back. Deebo isn't good enough to be the guy yet, and a guy like Jimmy needs all the help he can get. He'll be 33, but seems fine.

McKinnon wasn't gonna treat this like a vacation to Miami. Goodwin has both feet out of the door already. He is more worried about the Olympics than the NFL. 

I want Sanders back as well. The trade was rich for a rental. I know the picks are a sunk cost but if we can get Sanders for a reasonable number it makes the trade make a lot more sense. I'd rather pay armstead and ward though, might not have money for all of that plus kittle and Buckner. Need to lock down buck this year. I think selling armstead on the idea he gets to stay with Buckner long term will help him agree to a "reasonable" deal 

Isn't Mohammed Sanu a free agent? Wouldn't be a bad option to be honest. I'd bet his market is soft considering he didn't do much in ne 

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

McKinnon wasn't gonna treat this like a vacation to Miami. Goodwin has both feet out of the door already. He is more worried about the Olympics than the NFL. 

I want Sanders back as well. The trade was rich for a rental. I know the picks are a sunk cost but if we can get Sanders for a reasonable number it makes the trade make a lot more sense. I'd rather pay armstead and ward though, might not have money for all of that plus kittle and Buckner. Need to lock down buck this year. I think selling armstead on the idea he gets to stay with Buckner long term will help him agree to a "reasonable" deal 

Isn't Mohammed Sanu a free agent? Wouldn't be a bad option to be honest. I'd bet his market is soft considering he didn't do much in ne 

Sanu is so damn slow. No thanks. 

And maybe McKinnon did have his mind elsewhere, and the staff noticed that. I remember him being a little salty about going on IR earlier I think. At least he got to party for the weekend in Miami. I'd be doing the same if I knew I was done.

Edited by PapaShogun

What's the point when you don't have a QB or head coach that can get you a trophy! I'd rather finish dead last next year and draft Trevor Lawrence in 2021. Also how bad does not drafting Mahomes in 2017 look now lol!

Let's face it we are never winning a SB unless we find a QB like Joe or Steve was to them.

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm starting to seriously doubt we make a huge effort to retain Brieda. I think Brieda gets a 2nd round tender and if someone signs an offer sheet, I wouldn't be surprised to collect the 2nd round pick and walk away.

I doubt anyone would sign a offer sheet for brieda at a 2nd round tender. 

• Like 2