General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I never realized we had one of the least wealthiest ownerships in the NFL. Obviously doesn't matter, just caught me off guard and surprised me when I learned that today

Link to the list? I'm seeing them in the 10-11 range, but not in the top 3. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/nfl-team-owners-from-richer-to-richest/30/

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

On Instagram, the checkdown is simulating the season on madden. 21 days, 21 weeks. Currently the 49ers are 8-6 in their sim and a wildcard. They release 1 full simulated game from the schedule each day on YouTube, and afaik, the niners have had 3 of those. Since its May and i'm desperate for football, i may have watched these in their entirety lol. They're also being posted by the NFL's youtube page. For anyone interested...

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Link to the list? I'm seeing them in the 10-11 range, but not in the top 3. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/nfl-team-owners-from-richer-to-richest/30/

https://www.radio.com/sports/nfl/gallery/the-richest-nfl-owners-ranked-by-net-worth#welcome-to-the-club--mr--tepper-ck9t5lr32002dpvp7vvd387hq

Yahoo Finance had them at #20, which is more or less where I thought that they would be. I'm wondering if one is include team valuation in the model and the other isn't. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

https://www.radio.com/sports/nfl/gallery/the-richest-nfl-owners-ranked-by-net-worth#welcome-to-the-club--mr--tepper-ck9t5lr32002dpvp7vvd387hq

Yahoo Finance had them at #20, which is more or less where I thought that they would be. I'm wondering if one is include team valuation in the model and the other isn't. 

I'm not surprised really... It seems like we never have representation on the powerful committees. Or at least I never hear us mentioned when say the rules committee is being talked about. 

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. The top of the TE market is seriously like 10.5 million from Hooper this year on a multi year deal. Resetting that market to something like 12 - 13 and you could still easily make the case that Kittle is grossly underpaid for all that he does. I have said it before - you can give him like the OBJ contract and he'd 100% be worth it, so you really are entering a weird sort of situation where you could blow out the tight end market and still have the guy not being appropriately compensated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. The top of the TE market is seriously like 10.5 million from Hooper this year on a multi year deal. Resetting that market to something like 12 - 13 and you could still easily make the case that Kittle is grossly underpaid for all that he does. I have said it before - you can give him like the OBJ contract and he'd 100% be worth it, so you really are entering a weird sort of situation where you could blow out the tight end market and still have the guy not being appropriately compensated. 

This is really going to be interesting because I believe talks probably start at 15 per if we're being truthful...

• Like 1

I love kittle and obviously hope for his sake he gets paid, but I really don't have an issue with us letting him play out this year, then tagging him two years in a row. Getting paid the average of the top 5 TEs is an absolute steal for the franchise.

He is 100% worth 15+ million but that doesn't mean he will get paid as such. 

I don't know how anyone on the football side could say not to kittle... but paarag? I could see him being made to be the bad guy because when you really think about it, George doesn't have a lot of leverage. 

He is also our most marketable player. He should be able to make up the difference in endorsements (although I will say advertising money is down significantly since covid, we will see how that shakes out)

Lets just all prepare ourselves for this. Kittle isn't getting paid this year. Its just not happening. We really don't have any reason to pay him now other than we want to reward him for all of the hard work he has done. 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I love kittle and obviously hope for his sake he gets paid, but I really don't have an issue with us letting him play out this year, then tagging him two years in a row. Getting paid the average of the top 5 TEs is an absolute steal for the franchise.

He is 100% worth 15+ million but that doesn't mean he will get paid as such. 

I don't know how anyone on the football side could say not to kittle... but paarag? I could see him being made to be the bad guy because when you really think about it, George doesn't have a lot of leverage. 

He is also our most marketable player. He should be able to make up the difference in endorsements (although I will say advertising money is down significantly since covid, we will see how that shakes out)

Lets just all prepare ourselves for this. Kittle isn't getting paid this year. Its just not happening. We really don't have any reason to pay him now other than we want to reward him for all of the hard work he has done. 

So, perhaps frustrating your best player by keeping him four years criminally underpaid as originally a 5th round rookie and then two years as still vastly underpaid on the Franchise tag might not be the best way of retaining that player beyond those six years. And as for the bolded, this is not true at all. We've already entered a territory where everyone knows the tight end market is not dictating what he will be paid, and so they're trying to figure out his value. Say he goes out this year and puts up another 1,000 yard season but suddenly becomes a red zone threat and chips in 12 touchdowns. Do you want to pay him #1 WR money?

George Kittle has already proven to be the best all-around TE in the league, and might arguably be the best blocking tight end and the best receiving tight end simultaneously. He's produced back-to-back monster seasons. He's not getting cheaper. Which means there are a lot of reasons to pay him now, because the only other option is much much more expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gridirongorilla said:

How can they afford to pay Kittle right now with the cap situation? 

Most of it would be put into 2021 and beyond where there will be plenty of space. But there's likely a push to have something up front as well which might just require a little cap maneuvering. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gridirongorilla said:

How can they afford to pay Kittle right now with the cap situation? 

Not a problem. I could give a more thorough break down on it, but I'm on my phone. But it's not an issue

• Like 1