General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, will be hard to have an amazing draft in 2020 with so limited draft picks and just not many open spots. At that point you are just hoping to draft one real contributor and hopefully develop another draft pick or two that can contribute in the future.

We had a lot of holes and open spots that allowed rookies from this class to take advantage and get early playing time. Bosa/Samuel/Greenlow/Wishnowsky started or got major playing time from day one. Won't happen next year.

So Deebo and Bourne are pushing hard to re-sign Sanders. The WR core really has a great vibe and they are super close to each other. Wouldn't mind bringing him back and then seeing if Pettis/Taylor/Hurd can contribute next year. Still should be a very solid receiving core and enough for this offense to be top 5 again. 

I support tagging + trading Armstead for a 2nd rounder or so, as well as trading down from our late 1st round pick to a high-mid 2nd rounder. 

And for whatever reason, Lynch is money with 5th round picks. Kittle, Greenlaw have been big hits so far. D.J. Reed could be a solid contributor down the line too. Taylor was, before his injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-free-agency-predicting-landing-spots-pff-top-50-free-agent

They have us resigning Ward and Armstead but losing Sanders.

2 years 8M for Ward? Sign me up ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I support tagging + trading Armstead for a 2nd rounder or so, as well as trading down from our late 1st round pick to a high-mid 2nd rounder. 

And for whatever reason, Lynch is money with 5th round picks. Kittle, Greenlaw have been big hits so far. D.J. Reed could be a solid contributor down the line too. Taylor was, before his injuries. 

I'm not opposed to tagging and trading Armstead for a 2nd. But I would do that only if we were getting a game changer in free agency. If not, would prefer to bring him back on long-term deal or just on a tag. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2 years 8M for Ward? Sign me up ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not opposed to tagging and trading Armstead for a 2nd. But I would do that only if we were getting a game changer in free agency. If not, would prefer to bring him back on long-term deal or just on a tag. 

I would fall off the couch on the Ward deal

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Someone close to him should really try and persuade him not to. 7 concussions and the last one kept him off the field the entire season. I really think his playing career is over, or at least it should be. I get the allure but adding a guy who can never stay healthy doesn't really do for me. Even as a 2nd TE, I wouldn't bite.

He definitely needs to retire. I'm actually shocked he wants to continue. 

That being said, the guy who probably gets outed if we sign someone like Reed is probably Toilolo. I'm not going to be afraid that if we sign Reed we can't find a street free agent with the competence of Toilolo to replace him if he gets hurt. 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I had the same thought. The cap rising coincides perfectly with the timing of our window. It's beautiful. 

Big question is if the cap is going to have a dramatic jump how are these contracts are going to look. Armstead/Buckner might be looking in 20s a year.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What exactly is the new CBA going to do to the cap space? And the 17 game season won't start until 2021, correct?

Shouldn't do anything this year. The Revenue used to determine the cap in 2020 should be that which has already been received. Eventually, it will help increase the cap, but shouldn't factor in 2020. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shouldn't do anything this year. The Revenue used to determine the cap in 2020 should be that which has already been received. Eventually, it will help increase the cap, but shouldn't factor in 2020. 

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Would be a dramatic rise in 2021. If approved teams will take account and probably be more aggressive and push money down the line. 

Thanks, in that case you will see a lot of one year deals then. Increases our chances of retaining Ward. Sanders likely still wants a multi-year deal with his age and Armstead is already fine playing with the tag. Maybe because his agent knew this was coming and knew he would get even more money in 2021 if for some reason he couldn't sign a long-term deal with SF? 

• Like 1