General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

One thing about all our losses at the end where the defense wasn't able to make big late game stops happened not coincidentally when we lost all our DL depth. When Jones/Blair/Moore/etc went down. It is very important to build better DL depth even if we are able to bring Armstead back. That is a MUST.

I agree that Ward likely will be gone. Moore though I have a lot of confidence in. Not nearly as good of a tackler as Ward, but he has the potential to be a ball hawking safety. 

LB core is set for a while and no worries there.

Can use another corner and hope Spoon gets back to form before he lost his confidence. But at this point you can't trust him, just have to let him earn his spot.

Offensively, our bookends are really good and our swing tackle in Brunskill is awesome, but need to make upgrades to the interior. I'm sorry, but any good interior DL really wrecked us late in the season. 

WR wise, try to bring back Sanders. Then Hurd will be there and Taylor possibly will be healthy finally. If Sanders leaves, try to sign a solid FA WR or take one in the draft.

RBs are fine but can take a chance at a late rounder.

Overall though, this team is stacked. Don't need to make too many changes/upgrades. Just have to hope for health and growth from Jimmy G. We will be right back in the hunt next season. Enjoy this stretch!

Always a good idea to replenish the trenches. Wouldn't mind some OL/DL depth, maybe a starter at RG. 

Could go for a S and CB as well.

If we re-sign Sanders, then i'd be happy with a WR corps of Sanders/Samuel/Bourne/Hurd/Taylor/James. Maybe mix in a rookie there too. I'm assuming Hurd would kind of be a flex player, we could put him in as a TE as well right?

I'm assuming we'll get another RB at some point, a plug and play player. 

I'd like to tag and trade Armstead for a high pick, ala Ford/Clark last year. Release Goodwin, McKinnon, Coleman, Pettis. Extend Kittle + Buckner. Re-sign Sanders + Blair + Breida + Moore. Let Ward walk.

Ideally in FA, Draft, UDFA, i'd go RG, DE, DT, S, CB, RB,.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Always a good idea to replenish the trenches. Wouldn't mind some OL/DL depth, maybe a starter at RG. 

Could go for a S and CB as well.

If we re-sign Sanders, then i'd be happy with a WR corps of Sanders/Samuel/Bourne/Hurd/Taylor/James. Maybe mix in a rookie there too. I'm assuming Hurd would kind of be a flex player, we could put him in as a TE as well right?

I'm assuming we'll get another RB at some point, a plug and play player. 

I'd like to tag and trade Armstead for a high pick, ala Ford/Clark last year. Release Goodwin, McKinnon, Coleman, Pettis. Extend Kittle + Buckner. Re-sign Sanders + Blair + Breida + Moore. Let Ward walk.

Ideally in FA, Draft, UDFA, i'd go RG, DE, DT, S, CB, RB,.

There is no need to release Pettis. For what? 

I wouldn't mind releasing Coleman and clearing some cap but am fine if he returns as well. Either way, definitely not worried about the RB situation.

57 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:
2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm starting to seriously doubt we make a huge effort to retain Brieda. I think Brieda gets a 2nd round tender and if someone signs an offer sheet, I wouldn't be surprised to collect the 2nd round pick and walk away.

I doubt anyone would sign a offer sheet for brieda at a 2nd round tender. 

Agreed. If we tender him at a second round comp, that's pretty much over. Nobody is giving up a second rounder for him, and we won't have to worry about giving him a long term deal. You can pay him 3+ million for one year and then decide what to do with him the following season if you want. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

Im probably the only one in here but I hate or WR group. Taylor is always hurt, Bourne is decent, Pettis sucks, Goodwin is done, E Sanders is old and Hurd having knee and back problems is a concern for me. I also would love to add some deep threats. 

I do agree with you on being concerned about Taylor. This guy has now missed all or most of 2 whole seasons. He cannot be relied on at all, which is really disappointing considering how his career started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dub_City30 said:

Im probably the only one in here but I hate or WR group. Taylor is always hurt, Bourne is decent, Pettis sucks, Goodwin is done, E Sanders is old and Hurd having knee and back problems is a concern for me. I also would love to add some deep threats. 

Yeah it does suck. We need weapons. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

He will get tagged at a minimum. If he's not on the roster it's because we tagged then traded him or our FO completely dropped the ball 

No reason to just let him walk. We need to run this thing back for at least one more season. Armstead is essentially irreplaceable. I mean, Solomon Thomas would essentially try to fill his role. 

Disagree he's irreplaceable. Bosa is irreplaceable. Warner is irreplaceable. Losing Armstead would sting but we could still have a very good front w/o him.

I would have no problems if they let him walk. NOT saying that's what they should do but alot of money has to be allocated to other places in the near future. Franchise tag seems likely. They're not going give him away for free. 

I just feel ppl are putting too much stock into ONE good year with both Armstead and Ward. Yes they played their ***** off this year. But I wouldn't pay market value for either.

Even if he stays, its highly unlikely he replicates his production from this year. If forced to, I would take my chances with guys like Taylor, Thomas and Givens next to DeFo and find a vet DT who's maybe chasing a ring and would cost a fraction of the price. Guys like Brockers, Suh or Clayborn would fit that bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dub_City30 said:

I've repeated this seems like every year since Shanny's arrival but one area fans should never worry about is WR. He will coax production out of that unit regardless. Doesn't have to be a slew of household names and faces. Last position on the roster I'm worried about it personally...

Edited by 757-NINER

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If forced to, I would take my chances with guys like Taylor, Thomas and Givens next to DeFo and find a vet DT who's maybe chasing a ring and would cost a fraction of the price. Guys like Brockers, Suh or Clayborn would fit that bill.

This is how good teams get bad in a hurry. i don't mind replacing him with a buy low guy that has a good ceiling in free agency, but you can't let him walk and then plan on replacing him with Taylor / Thomas and Givens. That's just a really bad notion. Right now, you're hoping that any of those guys can even live up to the bottom range of AA's play. I agree with you that there is a sweet spot here that is tricky. Like, I think that there is a  good chance that this was AA's career year from a pass rushing perspective, but he's an extremely high quality, all around player, even if you assume that his baseline moving forward is 6-8 sacks (think Trey Flowers with NE). 

• Like 1

My initial thoughts on pending FA's:

Re-sign:

• Sanders
  • Armstead
  • Garland
  • Moore
  • Blair
  • Juice (picking up club option)

Tender:

• Moseley ERFA
  • Mullens ERFA