General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Kyle's face says it all. "When you win an award not named the Lombardi."

Exactly what i was thinking looking at this photo. Its a great achievement, but the Lomarbdi trophy is the one they all want...being so close, you can tell thats all they want next year. 

Luckily, winning these kind of awards tend to lead to more opportunities for a Lombardi...so lets win the 2020-2021 SB AND best 2020 draft!!

Edited by 49ersfan

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Although the rumor was our own scouts ripped/questioned Kyle and John draft decisions?

Kyle said that all of those stories, as well as the fake rumors that he and lynch were not getting along were due to a single former employee that was unhappy. He said he knew exactly who it was and that he had too much integrity to save a guy's name publicly. 

So, it was fabricated hogwash

• Like 2

18 hours ago, P_locniners said:

The more I think about it, it would benefit us greatly (maybe even more than keeping him) to tag and trade Armstead. If we could trade him for a 2nd or 3rd+some later round pick AND trade back from our pick 31, we could completely flip our draft around.

At this point, Armstead is a luxury.....i friggin great luxury, but still a luxury. With players like D.J.Jones, Solly, Blair, J. Taylor, Street and possibly re-sign S. Day, I would be more happy just getting the extra draft capitol and saving money.

With those picks we could add WR depth, CB/Safety depth, and go find talented rookie EDGE all in the first 3 rounds. 

I think this would put us in a better position for the future in terms of adding young/talented players and cap space

I like this, but like @oldman9er said, would AA really net us that much? He's only had one dynamite year of production. He's teased other years, but couldn't stay healthy.

If we did trade AA, I would want Bradlee Anae from Utah with one of those picks. He's more of a 2nd rounder, I think (though I could be wrong!).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I like this, but like @oldman9er said, would AA really net us that much? He's only had one dynamite year of production. He's teased other years, but couldn't stay healthy.

If we did trade AA, I would want Bradlee Anae from Utah with one of those picks. He's more of a 2nd rounder, I think (though I could be wrong!).

Yes, I think so. Teams are so hungry for quality pass rushers that they will overpay. This happens every single year. It really helps his case being one of the main contributors all season long that helped to take his team to the Super Bowl. 

If we were going to trade AA, this is the time to do it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I go back n forth when I think about it.

Since we are (we are!) so close to another SB, I lean towards keeping him for another year. I just don't feel we would get pick compensation that can aid us as much as AA can in winning the next SB. Guess it just depends on the riches offered. 

Yep, completely understand this view. I think we saw peak AA and he is a dynamic piece to this defense, but when it comes to what it will take to keep him and the sacrifices that will have to be made at other positions, I think moving him now is the best move. I do believe we could get a 2nd round pick for him, at worst a 3rd,and those additional picks would completely change our draft strategy. 

I know Armstead played well last season and is most likely to continue that this season. BUT, if we lose E. Sanders and Ward, I would take losing Armstead and gaining draft capitol to sure up these positions, not to mention depth at OG.

I guess I just trust the depth we have behind Armstead enough to let him go and draft some high-end (cost-effective) draft picks to fill the void at other positions, it sets us up for the future a bit better IMO

1 minute ago, dan77733 said:

I hope the team keeps Armstead and Sanders. Armstead has done better than Thomas so if I was to let a DL go, it would be Thomas over Armstead.

True, but at this point we wouldnt get much for Thomas, and that sucks for being an early 1st round pick, also think we would get stuck with a cap hit if we let Thomas go at this point. I would rather see what he can do and send him packing at the end of next season if it doesnt work out.

Dont get me wrong, I really like Armstead, but the cost to keep him handicaps us everywhere else, we should strike while the iron is hot and trade him while there is peak value.

10 hours ago, P_locniners said:

True, but at this point we wouldnt get much for Thomas, and that sucks for being an early 1st round pick, also think we would get stuck with a cap hit if we let Thomas go at this point. I would rather see what he can do and send him packing at the end of next season if it doesnt work out.

Dont get me wrong, I really like Armstead, but the cost to keep him handicaps us everywhere else, we should strike while the iron is hot and trade him while there is peak value.

I wouldn't let either go but if was forced to pick one, it would be Thomas simply because he hasn't been as productive as Armstead but at the same time, I don't want to see either go. According to overthecap, 49ers have $13.1m in cap room. Releasing WR Goodwin and RB Coleman would free up $7.2m in cap room putting us over $20m. Re-signing Sanders for at least 2 years shouldn't be difficult while re-signing Armstead to a long term deal shouldn't be that difficult either.

I would let Ward leave because he has missed a lot of games and if others here are comfortable with Moore replacing him, I would have no issue with that especially if it means keeping Armstead and Sanders.

1 hour ago, dan77733 said:

I wouldn't let either go but if was forced to pick one, it would be Thomas simply because he hasn't been as productive as Armstead but at the same time, I don't want to see either go. According to overthecap, 49ers have $13.1m in cap room. Releasing WR Goodwin and RB Coleman would free up $7.2m in cap room putting us over $20m. Re-signing Sanders for at least 2 years shouldn't be difficult while re-signing Armstead to a long term deal shouldn't be that difficult either.

I would let Ward leave because he has missed a lot of games and if others here are comfortable with Moore replacing him, I would have no issue with that especially if it means keeping Armstead and Sanders.

Armstead isn't getting a long term deal here. He's gone or he plays this season then is gone.

25 minutes ago, John232 said:

I am still so sad. 

Hope everyone is doing well. 

I feel exactly the same still sad taking me longer to get over it than lose to Ravens. I think having that lead and not holding it is the reason. 

It will get better when win 2021 SB 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Armstead isn't getting a long term deal here. He's gone or he plays this season then is gone.

I'm not so sure about that. A LTD would be cheaper this year than the tag would be and the salary cap is set to go up significantly. Could easily guarantee some big payments in a few years 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dan77733 said:

Fair enough, i just dont see a long term agreement coming for Armstead given how our cap situation is with the extensions of Buckner and Kittle being worked and players like Tartt that are going to be up for new contracts starting next year.

I think that we will only end up keeping 1 of the 3 out of Armstead, Ward and Sanders, this is why I would want to add some draft capitol with an Armstead trade.

Also, I am starting to think more and more that Breida may be the odd man out. Coleman will be on the books for around 4 million next season and I believe the cost for Breida would be around 3 million per year, if we can renegotiate with McKinnon (which i think will def happen), I would rather have a Mostert, McKinnon, Coleman RB stable than a Mostert, McKinnon, Breida RB stable

We will see, would love them all back on the team, but there is a cap and we dont have much room at the moment.