Sign in to follow this  
N4L

General off-season discussion/plan thread

14 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

There really shouldn't be a debate about keeping Thomas over Armstead: One is under contract, the other isn't. One would leave dead money on the books, the other would not. That being said, I would rather keep Armstead but if we could get decent picks for him....I'm all for tagging and trading. 

As another poster stated, Armstead is a luxury at this point. I could see a scenario where he stays but I just think we have too many guys due for big contracts, who have produced over a number of seasons to justify extending him off of one season of value. Personally, I'd rather tag and trade him than extending him. I probably think higher of our younger back-ups than most so I'd take the picks and roll with guys like Taylor, Givens and Street. 

49ers will have around $45m in cap room for 2021and that would be before releasing for example LT Joe Staley who at 37 will cost over $10m in 2021 is just too much money. He played well but as he gets older, it's not like he's going to get better. I would always go younger over older and in regards to the DL, I would keep Armstead, Buckner and Thomas. If anything, in 2021 off-season I would trade Dee Ford. 30 years old. Not worth $16m a year at that point. Also after 2020, I wouldn't re-sign Sherman. Team will have plenty of cap room, be able to keep the players they should keep while still staying young and adding more young talent and depth through the draft. Also, if im trading Armstead, it requires a first round draft pick. I wouldn't just give him away.

Edited by dan77733

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

As another poster stated, Armstead is a luxury at this point. I could see a scenario where he stays but I just think we have too many guys due for big contracts, who have produced over a number of seasons to justify extending him off of one season of value. Personally, I'd rather tag and trade him than extending him. I probably think higher of our younger back-ups than most so I'd take the picks and roll with guys like Taylor, Givens and Street. 

The problem is that those back ups have shown nothing. Street in particular simply hasn't been good. Like, at all. Even in preseason. Givens was a PS guy for most of the year. Taylor I do like though. 

It's a big, big jump to think that we can just remove Armstead from the equation and the team would be equally as strong and those guys could just slide right in or that we wouldn't suffer.

That being said, we could get that even if we kept Armstead given that this is the first year he had ever done it. He's a risk. It's a risk to move away from him, a risk to lock him up long term. We are also going to lose Dee Ford soon. There's no way he sees more than a year or two more, and I'd lean toward the former. That's a lot of bleeding off the defensive line in two years. 

32 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

49ers will have around $45m in cap room for 2021and that would be before releasing for example LT Joe Staley who at 37 will cost over $10m in 2021 is just too much money. He played well but as he gets older, it's not like he's going to get better. I would always go younger over older and in regards to the DL, I would keep Armstead, Buckner and Thomas. If anything, in 2021 off-season I would trade Dee Ford. 30 years old. Not worth $16m a year at that point. Also after 2020, I wouldn't re-sign Sherman. Team will have plenty of cap room, be able to keep the players they should keep while still staying young and adding more young talent and depth through the draft. Also, if im trading Armstead, it requires a first round draft pick. I wouldn't just give him away.

It's really impossible to know what we will have in 2021 at this point because we have too many big money deals to give out and don't know how they will be structured. Kittle and Buck will probably have huge hits, I'm just not sure how they will be structured. If Armstead is re-signed, he will have a sizable hit. 

36 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

I dont think any team is giving up a 1st rounder for Armstead at this point, I would fully expect a 2nd rounder and at worst an early 3rd