General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

OT, but i'm 90% sure i'm visiting SF in the fall, and will go to a game. I've been to SF twice to visit family, and even drove by the stadium. But i've never been to a game. I'm determined to come for a 3rd time, and besides see my family, go to a game. 

Once the schedule comes out i'll coordinate my ticket/flight details, but i was eyeing the packers/seahawks/rams as games to go to. 

I live in Toronto; closest NFL stadium to me is Buffalo. The 49ers visited the Bills in Oct 2016. I wanted to go to that game but i ended up being out of town for a family event. Where was that event? In San Francisco...

Edited by 49ersfan

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

1. DE

2. FS

3. OG/OC

4. Speed WR

5. TE #2

Those are my off-season priorities, in order. Hopefully Shanny is already trying to get Richard to come replace Woods. 

I'd place Fs at #4, bump everything else up but Speed WR. I think our lines are most important, perhaps the OL the absolute most. It caved too much in the SB and Jimmy flinched as a result. Did not see the whole field very well. Missed wide open Kittle several times.:(

• Like 1

I'd guess we let Ward test free agency. I want to say we would re-sign Sanders but tbh it depends on the $. Armstead should be franchised no matter what. Even if we don't plan on keeping him they need to sign and trade him then. Jimmy G contract needs to be restructured to make more room. I'd like for us to look into improving our depth at Dline and oline. Not sure if there's any chance to upgrade from person's but Brunskil should have the opportunity to compete for his job. I don't trust our depth at WR guys like Pettis and Taylor I don't trust. I still think we should look into AJ Green on a short one year deal. I don't expect anyone to offer him a long term deal why not us finnally get a player on a cheap one year deal. 

Rough SB loss, but i think we are definitely built for the future. We may not have a lot of cap space this off-season, but I see cutting Goodwin and McKinnon saving a bit of money (Correct me if im wrong) and possibly re-working some contracts.

I dont see Staley retiring, he has 1 or 2more years left in him and I think he sees how close they got and that they can get back, unlike last time we went to the SB.

To do list:

Extend: Buckner and Kittle

Trade: Armstead (tag and trade - we wont be able to afford him, may as well get something back), Pettis (I know it's early, but for all the skill he has, he seems to lack that 'dog' mentality and work ethic)

Re-sign: E. Sanders, Blair, Bourne, Breida, Ward (if possible), S. Day

Draft: OG, Safety, CB, OT, WR, RB - in that order unless Ward leaves, then I would put Safety as priority

Notes:

-Our interior O-line didnt play well and got owned in that SB loss, they were a glaring weakness and it is time to upgrade.

- If we sign back Sanders and Bourne, I think our WR group is solid (if healthy)and this draft is stacked if we trade out of the 1st round and get some mid-round picks - Sanders, Samuel, Taylor, Hurd, Bourne, rookie

- I like what we have at LB and TE currently on roster, if we can upgrade that would be fine, butI would be comfortable heading into the season with what we have.

- Definitely wouldn't mind looking to add a mid-tier pass-rusher and OG in FA....possibly see whats out there for DT if Armstead leaves

- I wasnt that disappointed in Garappolo outside of the first INT and the over throw of Sanders at the end. He wasnt comfortable and that had a lot to do with our Interior O-line struggling and the Chiefs secondary actually playing well.

- Very surprised at the rise and fall of Breida, to not get one touch in the SB is saying a lot considering what he did throughout the season until his fumbles.

Just some thoughts

Brieda is in the same boat as Pettis. Shanny loves you until he can't trust you...then you're a liability. I expect him to be tendered and ultimately brought back but he will have to fight for a roster spot going forward. 

Edited by 757-NINER

7 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Is it possible to trade Solomon Thomas without eating much dead cap, assuming Armstead stays?

saves about 4 million in a trade. Still, I don't know that it's worth it. depends on how much the rest of the defensive front turns over. I'm not keen on replacing 4 guys on the defensive line, even if they are mostly depth pieces. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

saves about 4 million in a trade. Still, I don't know that it's worth it. depends on how much the rest of the defensive front turns over. I'm not keen on replacing 4 guys on the defensive line, even if they are mostly depth pieces. 

I actually thought he played pretty well in the SB?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Now I would like to see if this is when the defense is just rushing four or in general. I would absolutely love to upgrade from Person. But I think they other 4 guys are capable starters. Richburg's availability is much like Ford's so I would like us to maybe draft a heir apparent and bring back Garland if he's up for it.

I know the narrative is that we give up a ton of interior pressure but I feel like from me watching games, alot of that is because teams blitz us heavy. They want to disrupt the timing in the run game with run blitzes and they feel like putting heat on Jimmy is the best way to rattle him, so they bring pressue up the middle on passing downs. I don't think us giving up interior pressure is as bad as its made out to be. I think the line holds up well when teams rush just four. Its when they send a extra guy....or two that we seem to not hold up. Might be scheme issue or it may just be a communication issue. I would like to know more detail regarding that interior O-Line win-rate stat. 

18 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Now I would like to see if this is when the defense is just rushing four or in general. I would absolutely love to upgrade from Person. But I think they other 4 guys are capable starters. Richburg's availability is much like Ford's so I would like us to maybe draft a heir apparent and bring back Garland if he's up for it.

I know the narrative is that we give up a ton of interior pressure but I feel like from me watching games, alot of that is because teams blitz us heavy. They want to disrupt the timing in the run game with run blitzes and they feel like putting heat on Jimmy is the best way to rattle him, so they bring pressue up the middle on passing downs. I don't think us giving up interior pressure is as bad as its made out to be. I think the line holds up well when teams rush just four. Its when they send a extra guy....or two that we seem to not hold up. Might be scheme issue or it may just be a communication issue. I would like to know more detail regarding that interior O-Line win-rate stat. 

Disagree, the interior was bad. Jones was killing them and getting constant push. Person is passable but not strong enough to hold his own against these strong IDL. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I actually thought he played pretty well in the SB?

Didn't really notice him. Bottom line is that he's really just an overpaid depth piece at this point. People cling to the one play he'll make every 3 weeks or something, typically against bad offensive lines, as though it's a sign he's going to break out but then he just disappears. 

That being said, we aren't going to pick up his option, but I see no reason to move him for peanuts for saving 4 million. I'd rather just keep him since he knows the system, keeps continuity, etc and at least there's a chance that something pops (especially in a contract year). Maybe he goes AA on us next season

• Like 2