General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've already stated before that I don't think Richie James is back. He's a meh returner and the team simply won't use him as a receiver. The fact that we went with basically 3 receivers down the stretch rather than give him honest looks at the position tells me what I need to know there. 

Pettis could absolutely be kicked out if he struggles. This is when the bills moved on from Zay Jones, who was largely considered a bust from almost the start and still had a better start to his career I Think. Given that Pettis could return actual value with regards to a trade (5th round pick or change of scenery player return), I could definitely see that happen. 

You're also still forgetting Goodwin, who is somehow still on the roster LOL. 

Taylor could also be gone if you consider the work that Bourne did last year on third down. Bourne is a better red zone threat, has more diversity in the receiving game.

I purposely left Goodwin off, he wont be here.

I dont necessarily agree on the Taylor assessment, but unfortunately I am basing my opinion on a very small sample size. I think, in terms of a 3rd down WR, Taylor is superior to Bourne. I think he creates space better than Bourne and has more 'wiggle' than Bourne. Dont get me wrong, I like what Bourne did last season, but im hoping Taylor returns to form and is a 3rd down monster.

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

I purposely left Goodwin off, he wont be here.

I dont necessarily agree on the Taylor assessment, but unfortunately I am basing my opinion on a very small sample size. I think, in terms of a 3rd down WR, Taylor is superior to Bourne. I think he creates space better than Bourne and has more 'wiggle' than Bourne. Dont get me wrong, I like what Bourne did last season, but im hoping Taylor returns to form and is a 3rd down monster.

I'm not sure what assessment you disagree with. If the team is comfortable with Bourne as a third down receiver, which is the strength of Taylors game as advocated by it seems like everyone on this board, he's more diverse in other aspects and could easily pick Taylor off the roster, particularly given Taylor's injury history. Taylor's a limited niche receiver. Bourne isn't awesome or anything, but he certainly brings a bigger range of options to the table. 

The thing that people talk about with Taylor is the third down monster thing...except, we don't really need him to do that. We were 5th in the NFL without him. We have plenty of options through game planning and play calls that allow us to utilize that portion of the field that he operates in. The best thing that Taylor offers in my opinion is the fact that he can return punts, particularly if you're bouncing James off the roster. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure what assessment you disagree with. If the team is comfortable with Bourne as a third down receiver, which is the strength of Taylors game as advocated by it seems like everyone on this board, he's more diverse in other aspects and could easily pick Taylor off the roster, particularly given Taylor's injury history. Taylor's a limited niche receiver. Bourne isn't awesome or anything, but he certainly brings a bigger range of options to the table. 

The thing that people talk about with Taylor is the third down monster thing...except, we don't really need him to do that. We were 5th in the NFL without him. We have plenty of options through game planning and play calls that allow us to utilize that portion of the field that he operates in. The best thing that Taylor offers in my opinion is the fact that he can return punts, particularly if you're bouncing James off the roster. 

I can agree with that, I just think we have such a limited sample of what we have seen from Taylor that we dont know what we have outside of the 'he's a 3rd down chain mover'. I'm just basing his importance of of his initial chemistry with Gorappolo and also the fact that he was said to have been having the best camp out of all the WR's last off-season. I personally think he can do more than just move the chains on 3rd down, he just has to show it.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

its not just that taylor is good on third downs, its that hes deadly in the slot and over the middle, which is where garoppolo is at his best. slot option routes over the middle are killer on play action, which is a huge part of our offense. Edleman for example would be killer here, and would mesh very well with garoppolo as well because of the quick release and accuracy to that part of the field

Bourne is solid, he can play multiple positions (to be fair, he has been known to run the wrong routes though) including the slot and both x/z. Taylor is just a slot guy only, and we really dont have anyone else with his skillset on the roster. 

I agree that taylor should probably return punts. I would like to see mostert return kicks assuming we can add another RB to carry the load, and assuming he continues to show his fumbling issues are a thing of the past.  

Lets not forget that the active rosters increased significantly and the rosters themselves have increased to 56. We realistically could keep 8 WRs if we want considering hurd taylors injury history.

The more I think about it though, I dont know if signing sanders makes sense. I do keep seeing Odell rumors though, which I would be all for. Pick #31, next years second for a third this year and Odell. Do it. Would basically mean we traded buck, moved up 18 spots, flipped a second next year for a third this year, and got OBJ. I would say that would be some really solid maneuvering 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N4L said:

its not just that taylor is good on third downs, its that hes deadly in the slot and over the middle, which is where garoppolo is at his best. slot option routes over the middle are killer on play action, which is a huge part of our offense. Edleman for example would be killer here, and would mesh very well with garoppolo as well because of the quick release and accuracy to that part of the field

Bourne is solid, he can play multiple positions (to be fair, he has been known to run the wrong routes though) including the slot and both x/z. Taylor is just a slot guy only, and we really dont have anyone else with his skillset on the roster. 

I agree that taylor should probably return punts. I would like to see mostert return kicks assuming we can add another RB to carry the load, and assuming he continues to show his fumbling issues are a thing of the past.  

Lets not forget that the active rosters increased significantly and the rosters themselves have increased to 56. We realistically could keep 8 WRs if we want considering hurd taylors injury history.

The more I think about it though, I dont know if signing sanders makes sense. I do keep seeing Odell rumors though, which I would be all for. Pick #31, next years second for a third this year and Odell. Do it. Would basically mean we traded buck, moved up 18 spots, flipped a second next year for a third this year, and got OBJ. I would say that would be some really solid maneuvering 

The reason, for me, that it makes sense is the impact Sanders had on our young WR group. I think when he got here we saw some guys take a jump (Deebo/ Bourne), we dont have that currently. We have a VERY young WR core and I think it would be great to have a veteran they can learn from, even better, a veteran that is still very good.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

The reason, for me, that it makes sense is the impact Sanders had on our young WR group. I think when he got here we saw some guys take a jump (Deebo/ Bourne), we dont have that currently. We have a VERY young WR core and I think it would be great to have a veteran they can learn from, even better, a veteran that is still very good.

to add to this, sanders tore his Achilles on 12/5/2018. Its not unreasonable to expect that he is better next year than he was last year. Look at sherm. Year 1 he was ok but limited a little bit. Year 2 he was himself 100% 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Did it?! serious question. Maybe I forgot; is this brand new? :/ 

Yes. New cba.

I believe the roster went from 53 to 56 and gameday went from 46-48

I'm sure forge will tell me that I'm wrong though 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yes. New cba.

I believe the roster went from 53 to 56 and gameday went from 46-48

I'm sure forge will tell me that I'm wrong though 

Only went up to 55. Game day roster went to 48, given that one of the extra two active players is an 8th OL. If not, then only 47 can be active.