General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

20 minutes ago, sherm said:

I know we haven't seen him play(reg season gms) but we actually have a talented young wr coming back. Yeah I'm talking about Hurd. Dude has all the physical traits to be a productive wr for us. This isn't a late rd flyer we hope can be good for us. They spent an early 3rd rd pick(67) on him. To put that in perspective we traded this yrs 2nd rd pick(63) for Dee Ford and this yrs 3rd rd(95) on Sanders. If I said we could get either of those picks back everyone on this board would do it. 

He's going to be part of our wr core going forward. My guess would be a big part of our wr plans as we try to figure out the depth at the position.

I don't think people are forgetting about Hurd, but there's a lot of uncertainty with his back injury. He missed the entire season and some players never recover from back injuries. So it is a wait and see approach with Hurd. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

But see, reasons actually matter. 

I ask myself three questions:

1) will adding OBJ make us stronger SB contenders? easy answer is YES

2) will our offense function well as is if an injury occurs to GK or Deebo? easy answer is Definitely NOT

and lesser extent:

3) how much trust should I really put in an unproven WR, even if a top one. answer is not so much trust

And what if OBJ comes in and we start off 1-2 and not getting the number of targets he's used to. Does he act an *** as usual? easy answer is Yes!

5 hours ago, sherm said:

And what if OBJ comes in and we start off 1-2 and not getting the number of targets he's used to. Does he act an *** as usual? easy answer is Yes!

Your snide tone aside  { :P }, your question is a fair one. In short, it comes down to genuine and thorough dialogue with team and player.

This is why you have that internal discussion with him to determine and be forthright about what he could be walking into. Any effort into these considerations, and yes, this gets hashed out for all. 

OBJ averaged 8 targets per game last season. One could presume the targets he receives in SF would be comparable.. one can make a fair case for a little less.. but 2 thoughts on this:

1) OBJ's happiness hinges much more on team success vs personal glory stats

(after all, he already has the notoriety and future money yrs in place.. now he just wants to win and be in a better environment)

2) his targets would likely be of more substance and impact with Jimmy G vs Baker.. which can make up for target amounts. KNowing you have a guy like KIttle and Samuel can put less coverage on he alone. Yum Yum. Who wants to live in Ohio anyway FFS?

edit: and the most obvious part... his contract wouldn't be guaranteed after the trade.. so if he does act up? we show him the door. Make no mistake though, he's no Antonio Brown. He just wants a team with their bleep together that can win strong... and we will. 

Edited by oldman9er

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If anyone needs their football fix, they are airing the Niners/Saints shootout on NFL Network right now. Lawd was our defense horrendous this game, especially to start the game. 

Damn you, Marcell Harris! XO

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Forget Coleman, talk to me about Wirfs. You as excited about him as I am? 

Oh yes, but I don't think he will be available at 13. He grew up right outside of Iowa City and I saw him play FB and wrestle in HS a few times. He was a grown arse man at age 15. He always preferred FB, but Iowa's wrestling coaches wanted him as well. They thought he could be a national champion wrestler. And he hang cleans around 500 lbs and runs like a 4.85 or whatever. Such athleticism, power, and explosion are so rare for an OL. Most importantly, he is just a damn good football player too. He did have an OWI while at Iowa, but that is pretty common here. Cops are always on the lookout for it and they don't cut athletes any slack.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Oh yes, but I don't think he will be available at 13. He grew up right outside of Iowa City and I saw him play FB and wrestle in HS a few times. He was a grown arse man at age 15. He always preferred FB, but Iowa's wrestling coaches wanted him as well. They thought he could be a national champion wrestler. And he hang cleans around 500 lbs and runs like a 4.85 or whatever. Such athleticism, power, and explosion are so rare for an OL. Most importantly, he is just a damn good football player too. He did have an OWI while at Iowa, but that is pretty common here. Cops are always on the lookout for it and they don't cut athletes any slack.

I'm so sold on him. Young guy who is getting better and better with a lot of potential. Very possible to see four tackles gone before our pick. NYG/CAR/JAX/CLE/NYJ/AZ all are candidates to go tackle with their first picks. 

I don't think Bosa got a official sack in this game, but my goodness is he disruptive. I still think Armstead was our best defender but Bosa is a different kind of game changer. Game is going to slow down even more next season for him and he's going to take his game to another level. He's already very skilled but still bites too much on the PA. Just have to hope he stays healthy like he did this season. 

On 3/21/2020 at 8:07 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think people are forgetting about Hurd, but there's a lot of uncertainty with his back injury. He missed the entire season and some players never recover from back injuries. So it is a wait and see approach with Hurd. 

Team needs to expect nothing from Hurd and Taylor. If they come back and play then it's a plus. We need to go into the draft  and rest of FA knowing we have 1 starter in Deebo, 1 ok WR/Redzone threat in Bourne, 1 boom/bust in Pettis, and KR/PR in Richie James. Basically we have a huge need at WR.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Team needs to expect nothing from Hurd and Taylor. If they come back and play then it's a plus. We need to go into the draft  and rest of FA knowing we have 1 starter in Deebo, 1 ok WR/Redzone threat in Bourne, 1 boom/bust in Pettis, and KR/PR in Richie James. Basically we have a huge need at WR.

If Hurd comes back and is the player we hope he can be, and we will have added another wr, then we could even put deebo in the backfield more often. Anytime deebo got the ball handed to him it was a big play. 

I want a running back, but adding a WR that allows deebo to get more carries would work 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

If Hurd comes back and is the player we hope he can be, and we will have added another wr, then we could even put deebo in the backfield more often. Anytime deebo got the ball handed to him it was a big play. 

I want a running back, but adding a WR that allows deebo to get more carries would work 

Or how about giving carries to Hurd? Shanny can get creative there. He can become a nice weapon for us, especially in the RZ. Hopefully he gets healthy this offseason and is ready to roll for training camp....If there is one. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Or how about giving carries to Hurd? Shanny can get creative there. He can become a nice weapon for us, especially in the RZ. Hopefully he gets healthy this offseason and is ready to roll for training camp....If there is one. 

I thought about it, but that's asking a lot in year one. It's a complex offense. We saw deebo struggle early on and he was super pro ready and has played WR for a few years. Hurd has played WR for one season. Let's keep him at WR in year 1 

Plus the guy has a bad back. Probably part of the reason he switched to WR. No need to have him potentially get hit by defensive lineman