General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

I actually love this because we have to deal with potential deals for Buck and Kittle this off season and it can turn into a mess in a hurry. With AA, if we want to bring him back, we use the tag and get to an extension if we can, but knowing he has no issues with it and we aren't going to cause drama by using it makes me feel good. 

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Cutting McKinnon, Coleman, Goodwin, and Nzeocha would net us $14.6 mil in space. Restructuring Jimmy G's contract would add an additional $15+ mil in space, which would push our total cap space to $47 mil. 

I'd be surprised if we cut Coleman an isn't Nzeocha a core special teams player? but yeah Mckinnon and Goodwin are pretty much gone. 

Also we should free up some more space by resigning Buckner and Kittle?

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It would be super weird decision to me.  His option is like almost 16 million for a team that doesn't have a ton of cap room moving forward, particularly in the early year extension of guys like Kittle, Buck, possibly AA and others. 

Can't possibly be that high...16 million?? I know he went #2 overall but I thought the rookie wage scale prevented those kind of numbers.

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Can't possibly be that high...16 million?? I know he went #2 overall but I thought the rookie wage scale prevented those kind of numbers.

5th year option for picks that high I believe is commiserate with the top 5 players at the position. It's like 15.3 million. 

3. Solomon Thomas, DE, San Francisco 49ers

Projected cost: $15.3 million

YES | NO | MAYBE

San Francisco was looking for a star and came away with a rotational player when selecting Thomas third overall in 2017. Thomas has six sacks and no forced fumbles in three seasons. He has become a backup this season on a line with unrivaled quality depth.

Just now, Forge said:

5th year option for picks that high I believe is commiserate with the top 5 players at the position. It's like 15.3 million. 

Oh well no way do I see that happening then. Potential aside, his play simply hasn't justified that price tag. AA's option was very doable.

51 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Maybe we redo his contract to one year vet minimum no guarantees. 

I've always wondered what a healthy Jet would have added to this offense. If he's will to re-work his deal, I could see him coming back and competing for a spot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Maybe we redo his contract to one year vet minimum no guarantees. 

Maiocco mentioned this a month ago. When Maiocco says something 49ers related, I listen! He said the team still would like McKinnon to have a shot to contribute but only with a non-guaranteed deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I also would like to see Zettel brought back. Think he has some potential to be a quality depth guy@DE. Like the little I saw from him. 

We're going to have to disagree here. Saw something from this man....Or very little. 

I heard that guy #99 from Missouri is six months sober and itching to get back on the field. Let's give him a call!