General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I keep waiting for the Day re-signing. Little surprised it hasn't happened yet. With the Buckner trade, I thought it made more sense for both parties now than it did a couple of weeks ago. That being said, maybe we are going to do a lot of rotating in and out between ends and interior. You can get a little creative with this. Like, I like stacking Ford / Bosa, whichi s a move that the Chargers do with Bosa / Ingram. Our bosa would slide inside against a guard while ford is lined up wide in the 9 against the tackle. Creates a lot of room for Bosa. Also AA can play inside, and I think that is where we'd like to exclusively play Solly, so maybe the Day re-signing doesn't happen. 

If they really believe in Street, it makes no sense to bring Day back. 

I just really think we can do better than Day. The guy does absolutely nothing really but take up space. That might be a little harsh but he really has no kind of impact when he's rotated in.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-23 at 3:46 PM, Forge said:

How soon we have all forgotten about the signing of Chris Thompson to a futures contract (no, not washington chris thompson, the other chris thompson for those who are confused) 

Didn't we sign a DB from the CFL as well? That has to get us excited, right?

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Sounds like Eifert will go to Jax. I know that we have to be looking at tight ends, so I'm hopeful that this spurs us to a small 1 year deal for Delanie. 

Delanie would be so great in this offense. Just imagine having him, Kittle and Juice on the field at the same time. I don't think he comes back, but it would be fun to see.

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

If they really believe in Street, it makes no sense to bring Day back. 

I just really think we can do better than Day. The guy does absolutely nothing really but take up space. That might be a little harsh but he really has no kind of impact when he's rotated in.

He doesn't even do that properly either 

I agree. He's not good and I would rather draft/sign someone who could potentially become good, whereas day is day and he's not going to be any better than he is now 

Is there any truth to the Odell Beckham Jr. to the 49ers rumors? How likely is he to be on the move? — Jonathan Z.

Nope. No truth to that. Sorry, gang. I know the 49ers loved him but they are trying to rebuild draft capital, not give up draft capital.

-Jay Glazer

Not a big surprise, but doesn't look like we will make a move for OBJ. Now let's see how many picks they can add from the draft with both their firsts. Does a QB slip to #13 giving us a chance to trade down some to get a 2nd rounder or multiple day two picks? Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

-Jay Glazer

Not a big surprise, but doesn't look like we will make a move for OBJ. Now let's see how many picks they can add from the draft with both their firsts. Does a QB slip to #13 giving us a chance to trade down some to get a 2nd rounder or multiple day two picks? Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

Yeah, Im thinking we definitely stay put at #13 and hope a QB or someone else falls to #31 and a team is desperate to jump up. I still dont know what the best offering we could get for #31, but if we can get a early round 2 and a late round 3 or 4 I would be happy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, Im thinking we definitely stay put at #13 and hope a QB or someone else falls to #31 and a team is desperate to jump up. I still dont know what the best offering we could get for #31, but if we can get a early round 2 and a late round 3 or 4 I would be happy

This is why I think unless there is a WR or certain tackle Shanny badly wants at #13, we will trade down from that spot. Will get more draft capital doing that opposed to trading down from #31.

Now this is where Shanny/Lynch/Peters/Mayhew make their money. This draft and the following drafts go a big way in determined just how much staying power this team has. Every year now we will be unable to keep a very good player with the cap being tight so they have to hit on these picks. Last year's draft may look special down the road but this year's draft is just as important. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

There are 3 trades in the past two years to look at it as a basis of what a trade for #31 could look like:

#1: Last year, the Seahawks traded #30 to the Giants for their 2nd, 4th, and 5th

#2: Last year, Rams traded #31 & a 6th to the Falcons for their 2nd & 3rd

#3: In 2018, the Eagles traded #32 & a 4th to the Ravens for their 2nd, 4th, 2019 2nd

My hope is that Jordan Love falls to 31 and either the Colts or Lions want to trade up for him. I'd ask for what the Seahawks got from the Giants at minimum, but I'd be more interested in swinging the Rams & Falcons trade to get a 2nd and a 3rd.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is why I think unless there is a WR or certain tackle Shanny badly wants at #13, we will trade down from that spot. Will get more draft capital doing that opposed to trading down from #31.

Now this is where Shanny/Lynch/Peters/Mayhew make their money. This draft and the following drafts go a big way in determined just how much staying power this team has. Every year now we will be unable to keep a very good player with the cap being tight so they have to hit on these picks. Last year's draft may look special down the road but this year's draft is just as important. 

Honestly, if Juedy, Lamb, or MAYBE Ruggs isnt there, I would love to trade back from #13 into the early 20's and net extra picks in rounds 2 and 3. Like I said before, there arent a lot of spots up for grabs on the roster at this point and if we could net a WR,CB,OG/OT in the first two or three rounds, I would consider it a win. 

Now its a matter of, are those early round #1 Wr's (Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs) worth sacrificing potentially two first rounders and potentially a 2nd and/or a 3rd. There are certain spots we know are going to have to be addressed next off-season with Sherman, Tartt and Staley all either FA's or aging, those extra picks give us a jump on the process for next year.

We could potentially go from, a few months ago where we had #31 and nothing until the 5th round.....to all of a sudden having two 1st rounder, a 2nd and a third to go along with our existing picks. That is hard to pass up

Edited by P_locniners

16 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Honestly, if Juedy, Lamb, or MAYBE Ruggs isnt there, I would love to trade back from #13 into the early 20's and net extra picks in rounds 2 and 3. Like I said before, there arent a lot of spots up for grabs on the roster at this point and if we could net a WR,CB,OG/OT in the first two or three rounds, I would consider it a win. 

Now its a matter of, are those early round #1 Wr's (Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs) worth sacrificing potentially two first rounders and potentially a 2nd and/or a 3rd. There are certain spots we know are going to have to be addressed next off-season with Sherman, Tartt and Staley all either FA's or aging, those extra picks give us a jump on the process for next year.

We could potentially go from, a few months ago where we had #31 and nothing until the 5th round.....to all of a sudden having two 1st rounder, a 2nd and a third to go along with our existing picks. That is hard to pass up

The bolded part is why I think we don't pass up Wills, Wirf or Thomas if they make it to us. Becton is too big for us to really consider I think. Those guys are all elite talents and you don't know what nexts years class is going to bring. Plus who knows, maybe we move on at QB next year. I doubt it but its possible. 

Imo, you trade down at 31 and take whoever is left of Jefferson, Aiyuk, Shenault, Reagor, Higgins or DPJ in the 2nd. All fantastic talents. I'm kinda crushing on Aiyuk at the moment, I'm thinking he could be very special.

edit: and honestly I'm not that big on Juedy especially. He's just too skinny, I don't trust him to stay healthy.

Edited by Ftn49
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

The bolded part is why I think we don't pass up Wills, Wirf or Thomas if they make it to us. Becton is too big for us to really consider I think. Those guys are all elite talents and you don't know what nexts years class is going to bring. Plus who knows, maybe we move on at QB next year. I doubt it but its possible. 

Imo, you trade down at 31 and take whoever is left of Jefferson, Aiyuk, Shenault, Reagor, Higgins or DPJ in the 2nd. All fantastic talents. I'm kinda crushing on Aiyuk at the moment, I'm thinking he could be very special.

edit: and honestly I'm not that big on Juedy especially. He's just too skinny, I don't trust him to stay healthy.

I have gotten to the point where i have watched college film on all the top WR's (like most of us have) and crushed on all of them at some point.

Juedy does have a slimmer frame, but in terms of his all around game, he could be a game-changer at the next level.He has that 'it' factor more than any WR in this draft IMO.

That being said, later prospects such as Mims, Reagor, Aiyuk,Higgins, Jefferson, Pittman that can be had late 1st round and into the second are intriguing. I am really shying away from Shenault at this point, his injuries are concerning, he has a lot of work to do in terms of route running and becoming a polished receiver, but I do like the 'offensive-weapon' element he possesses.....I just see him having an injury plagued career.

But yes, finding an early round OT that may be able to slide in at Guard puts us in a very good situation considering I expect Brunskill to compete there as well. 'Iron sharpens iron',only strengthens our O-line

8 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I have gotten to the point where i have watched college film on all the top WR's (like most of us have) and crushed on all of them at some point.

Juedy does have a slimmer frame, but in terms of his all around game, he could be a game-changer at the next level.He has that 'it' factor more than any WR in this draft IMO.

That being said, later prospects such as Mims, Reagor, Aiyuk,Higgins, Jefferson, Pittman that can be had late 1st round and into the second are intriguing. I am really shying away from Shenault at this point, his injuries are concerning, he has a lot of work to do in terms of route running and becoming a polished receiver, but I do like the 'offensive-weapon' element he possesses.....I just see him having an injury plagued career.

But yes, finding an early round OT that may be able to slide in at Guard puts us in a very good situation considering I expect Brunskill to compete there as well. 'Iron sharpens iron',only strengthens our O-line

If we're talking specifically about receivers, this is what I'm thinking:

If we stay at 13: Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs

If we stay 31: Jefferson, Mims, Reagor

If we trade down into the 2nd: Claypool, DPJ, Higgins, Aiyuk

• Like 1