General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

14 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Your last sentence is the reason the Seahawks will be above the Rams. 

I’m not sure what makes you think the Rams are good, but I just don’t see it. They’re not a playoff team right now.

The Rams have lost a lot on defense and not signed anyone that can really fill the vacated spots. They're O-line is still very suspect and they lost Gurley, even though he was injured, we saw what that run game did last season without him in the line up, AND they have terrible draft capital. I also think their WR group is VERY overrated.  People are going to be teeing off on Goff.

I am not seeing this team competing, I expect them to be last in the division. Seahawks and Cards will battle for #2

On 26/03/2020 at 8:05 PM, NcFinest9erFan said:

I heard for Rasul Douglas? I was hoping we'd keep him and that the year in the doghouse would help but maybe Kyle is over it.

I sincerely have no problem moving on from Pettis. But the report coming from a National Enquirer type source like Florio probably renders it horse poop. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Makes sense they are doing their HW, but go after Walker if you want to sign an older veteran at TE that has some health concerns. 

100% agree. Reed is basically overlapping with Dwelley in what they are bringing to the team. Honestly, I don't mind bringing in someone super cheap like David Morgan to be a blocking tight end and just trying to allow Dwelley to grow into that secondary receiving tight end. But if you're looking at a guy that you want to be a legit TE2 with decent snap share, Walker is your guy, not Reed. 

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

100% agree. Reed is basically overlapping with Dwelley in what they are bringing to the team. Honestly, I don't mind bringing in someone super cheap like David Morgan to be a blocking tight end and just trying to allow Dwelley to grow into that secondary receiving tight end. But if you're looking at a guy that you want to be a legit TE2 with decent snap share, Walker is your guy, not Reed. 

This is exactly what I think we should do. Morgan is one of the best blocking TE's in football and can be had for very cheap - perfect! Dwelley has shown that he can develop into a nice depth piece at TE. He reminds me of Hollister from the Seahawks. I'd be very happy with Kittle, Dwelley, and Morgan as our TE group, but I wouldn't mind bringing in a TE in the 5th round to compete with Dwelley in the long term or even roll with 4 TE's. I'm also interested to see what Helm looks like in training camp. I don't think Helm is going to be the next big thing, but he could be a useful utility guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Weren't we showing interest in Austin Hooper as well? 

Definitely think we want a legit #2 TE to bookend with Kittle. Dwelley is solid depth, but could be upgraded

Yes, the rumors are that we were in on him. Problem for me is that I wouldn't trust Reed to stay healthy, meaning I feel like that is a bit of wasted signing for me. Walker has had injury concerns lately, but I still trust him more to stay healthy than I do Reed, and I don't think that his skillset has completely eroded, so I think he is the best signing to fit what we want. After that, there's nothing really all that interesting on a free agent level. David Morgan is a really good blocking tight end (so Toilolo style replacement there). I suppose that Ricky Seals Jones is somewhat interesting, but he's been given chances and hasn't been able to capitalize. This is a pretty bad tight end rookie class in my opinion and I want nothing to do with a tight end in the first couple of rounds. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, the rumors are that we were in on him. Problem for me is that I wouldn't trust Reed to stay healthy, meaning I feel like that is a bit of wasted signing for me. Walker has had injury concerns lately, but I still trust him more to stay healthy than I do Reed, and I don't think that his skillset has completely eroded, so I think he is the best signing to fit what we want. After that, there's nothing really all that interesting on a free agent level. David Morgan is a really good blocking tight end (so Toilolo style replacement there). I suppose that Ricky Seals Jones is somewhat interesting, but he's been given chances and hasn't been able to capitalize. This is a pretty bad tight end rookie class in my opinion and I want nothing to do with a tight end in the first couple of rounds. 

Makes me wonder if they will take a look at Chase Claypool and play him at TE, makes sense in round 2 if we trade back