General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

Honestly i am off the philosophy of drafting/signing a late round QB every year if you have a starter in place. No need to pay back-up QB money to back-up QBs you don't want to play and if your QB has a serious injury most of the time the back-up QB you signed won't be good enough to really make the push you want to make so better to have a young guy developing (even if he turns out to be a stinker) than putting a Fitzpatrick in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The re-signed Chad Henne. I'm not sure why they would carry 3. 

Chad Henne?? He's still in the league???

Really curious why they would do that. Granted, not like Moore was much of anything before he stepped in last two when Mahomes got hurt. 

The more I think about our receiver situation, the more I think Shanny will value Ruggs fairly high. Ruggs is basically a rich man’s Marquise Goodwin: He’s faster (I know they ran the same 40, but Ruggs also ran a faster on field speed than any pro since they started tracking it), a better route runner, and has better hands. My favorite is still Lamb, but I think the distance between Jeudy and Ruggs may not be as big as I initially anticipated. 

• Like 2

Wish I had a better understanding of what happened with Breida. Sure, he had a few fumbles in a short span; that was annoying. Even with that, he was very impressive.. in both speed and vision. Mostert's earned plenty, but I would have hoped that Breida could have been given less alienation from the bosses. Sounds like Pettis earned his sentence.. but Breida? hmmm..... :/ 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Wish I had a better understanding of what happened with Breida. Sure, he had a few fumbles in a short span; that was annoying. Even with that, he was very impressive.. in both speed and vision. Mostert's earned plenty, but I would have hoped that Breida could have been given less alienation from the bosses. Sounds like Pettis earned his sentence.. but Breida? hmmm..... :/ 

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know. Either he will play for the 49ers and nothing will be said about his absence, or he will be traded and they will say he just didn't fit the plan anymore. 

I do find it very suspicious as he he was a major part of the offense in 2019 and the beginning of 2020. What did he do in the middle of season to lose his PT?  

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

What did he do in the middle of season to lose his PT?  

probably more a rhetorical question, but all I can think of are the fumbles. Granted, fumbles suck, but I didn't get the sense that he was given much chance to show that they were a brief weakness that had been corrected. And of course, Mostert made it tougher to share snaps. 

10 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know. Either he will play for the 49ers and nothing will be said about his absence, or he will be traded and they will say he just didn't fit the plan anymore. 

I do find it very suspicious as he he was a major part of the offense in 2019 and the beginning of 2020. What did he do in the middle of season to lose his PT?  

He got injured and started fumbling. 

Nothing suspicious. Just poor play a few times in a row after an injury 

He hasn't been able to stay healthy, unfortunately. His ankles have gotten twisted a few times.

To his credit he has played through it. Tough little bugger 

• Like 1

I like Breida a lot, but the 2nd round tender is a sizable investment in a reserve running back that might be fourth in the pecking order. If we can improve our draft resources by trading him, it just is what it is with the cap situation. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/snap-weighted-age-2019-nfl-rosters

We had the 7th youngest team in the league last year per weighted snap, including the 2nd youngest defense. Pretty special and young group we had minus really Uncle Sherm. A big part of why the team had great energy all season long. 

Imagine how historic this defense would've been if the injury gods didn't hate the 49ers so much.

19 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hey, I would settle for getting a 3rd round pick for Breida.  

As for keeping him? I get why he is in the doghouse. He earned it. In his last 16 carries, he has had 3 or 4 fumbles. That absolutely sucks.

I would definitely take a 3rd rounder for Breida.....that being said, didnt Mostert have some fumbling issues in 2018? Or am I mis-remembering? Fumbling issues are something that can be fixed, if Breida fixes that issue, he is still very valuable.

(Guess I was wrong about the Mostert fumbles)

Edited by P_locniners