General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I also would like to see Zettel brought back. Think he has some potential to be a quality depth guy@DE. Like the little I saw from him. 

I would rather bring in blair and Moore. Both guys showed me a lot more. Moore especially was unfortunate. 

Zettel didn't do much imo 

Blair should be brought back in my eyes and then add another speed rusher. Have to have someone with the same type of game to Ford. Even bringing a guy like Marsh back i wouldn't mind(i know not a populair opinion but as a 4th/5th option on the outside i think he is plenty good enough as long as he stops those stupid karate moves). 

For me the biggest thing with this defense is adding depth and getting competition for Moore at FS(either in the draft or signing a FA  if we can't afford to bring Ward back). Besides that a replacement for Harris, a 4th LB(Al-Shaair and Lee aren't good enough to fill in when one of the top three gets injured) and a extra edge rusher. At CB we are set with Sherman, Moseley, Williams, Spoon and Reed(can draft one in the later rounds like we did last year with Harris to compete for that 6th spot with upside).

On offense we are good at QB maybe trade either Beathard or Mullens and picking up a UDFA/late round option to be the 3rd/PS QB. I am off the opinion that when your starting QB goes out for the season its better to have a bad back-up over a good one because i prefer to suck completely over being competent enough to win 8/9 games and get stuck in the middle of the pack. At RB i wouldn't mind Coleman and McKinnon leaving(or in the case of McKinnon being brought back on a cheap one year contract). I feel as long as we have Bobby Turner as our RB Coach we are good in terms of picking the guys that fit in the system without having to spend a ton both in cap and in draft capital. FB no need to change. Juice has a big contract but he is so damn important both in the rushing and in the passing game. Receiver is a bit of a weird one for me. On one hand i believe in having a room full of number 2's as long as they have different skill sets. With Deebo i think we have a 2+ that has the upside to grow into a true number one in a year or two. Behind him we have a lot of guys that either have underperformed, been injured or are very up and down. If we can get Sanders back on a reasonable deal i would do it but i don't think he is worth paying a big contract too since he will basically be the third option behind Kittle and Samuel. Behind that we have to hope Taylor gets back healthy and turns back into the slot machine he was in his first year. And then Hurd who i am really curious about. Pettis, James and Goodwin i really don't care much to keep but i can understand bringing Pettis back. Bourne is maybe one of the most frustating receivers out there where on the one hand he has those important catches in the redzone and on third down but also drops the easiest ones. Expect him back but in a more limited role than he has now. TE we need to get better. Kittle is a monster and a key piece but we can really upgrade on guys like Dwelley, Toilolo and Helm. Having a second guy that can block on the level of Juice and Kittle and also adds something in the passing game would be huge for both Shanahan and Jimmy. 

Offensive line is good at Tackle(might want to add someone to compete with Skule for the swing tackle job). On the interior i like Richburg but can we trust him to stay healthy. Tomlinson is decent but nothing spectacular and Person should be getting replaced by Brunskill(should have kept his job in the play-offs in my eyes). Probably would resign Garland but can also see us going with the draft to add some extra depth on the interior. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco mentioned this a month ago. When Maiocco says something 49ers related, I listen! He said the team still would like McKinnon to have a shot to contribute but only with a non-guaranteed deal. 

I'd rather go this route and release Coleman, to be honest. Coleman actually saves slightly more to the cap anyway, and Jet, if healthy, can bring an added dimension that none of the other running backs have. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd rather go this route and release Coleman, to be honest. Coleman actually saves slightly more to the cap anyway, and Jet, if healthy, can bring an added dimension that none of the other running backs have. 

Which is what exactly?

Edited by NinerNation21

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

Not gonna fall into the trap of McKinnon finally becoming the RB we had hope for 2 yrs ago.

I agree. Like I said on page 1 of this thread, I am good with bringing him back for the vet min, but I still want to draft a workhorse rb. It's time

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I agree. Like I said on page 1 of this thread, I am good with bringing him back for the vet min, but I still want to draft a workhorse rb. It's time

Why? What is the purpose of a "workhorse"? Is having Josh Jacobs somehow better than having a running back trio? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sherm said:

Not gonna fall into the trap of McKinnon finally becoming the RB we had hope for 2 yrs ago.

I don't want to fall into the trap of paying Coleman five million lol

I'd rather give jet the non guaranteed performance based deal, have Breida/mostert/Wilson there when needed and see if I can find something with jet that we lack. We aren't losing much cutting Coleman

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Why? What is the purpose of a "workhorse"? Is having Josh Jacobs somehow better than having a running back trio? 

Having josh Jacobs as part of the trio, is better than having mostert coleman and breida, who quite frankly are only serviceable because our coach. Im not saying to cut mostert or anything, hes still going to be part of our team and get his 8-10ish touches a week. 

I get that having those guys negates the need for a true 3 down back, but having a special play maker at the position would take our running game to the next level imo. Someone who can pass block. Someone who can catch passes. Someone to punch it in on the goal line/4th and 1. 

I just don't think that any of our running backs are really that great in a vacuum. I understand we don't play in a vacuum and can still have a good rushing offense with what we have, but we have been living in the bargain bin at this position despite running the ball a lot (and despite allocating a ton of money to the position with McKinnon and coleman) so I think for such a high use position its time to upgrade the talent there. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I would rather bring in blair and Moore. Both guys showed me a lot more. Moore especially was unfortunate. 

Zettel didn't do much imo 

Meh, not the biggest Moore fan...to each his own

Blair isnt going to be healthy by the start of next season. More than likely a PUP canidate early on if he is brought back. ACLs usually take longer for lineman to comeback from so we'll need still to have another body there. I expect us to draft a DE...not sure excatly where though.

• Like 1

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Meh, not the biggest Moore fan...to each his own

Blair isnt going to be healthy by the start of next season. More than likely a PUP canidate early on if he is brought back. ACLs usually take longer for lineman to comeback from so we'll need still to have another body there. I expect us to draft a DE...not sure excatly where though.

moore just showed a lot of juice to me. he was playing like his hair was on fire. Good first step. I want another speed rusher as insurance for ford (insert lame car joke here)

this is why im still mad we didn't get an edge rusher a few years ago. we literally have no one outside of our two probowlers and you need depth everywhere

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Having josh Jacobs as part of the trio, is better than having mostert coleman and breida, who quite frankly are only serviceable because our coach. Im not saying to cut mostert or anything, hes still going to be part of our team and get his 8-10ish touches a week. 

I get that having those guys negates the need for a true 3 down back, but having a special play maker at the position would take our running game to the next level imo. Someone who can pass block. Someone who can catch passes. Someone to punch it in on the goal line/4th and 1. 

I just don't think that any of our running backs are really that great in a vacuum. I understand we don't play in a vacuum and can still have a good rushing offense with what we have, but we have been living in the bargain bin at this position despite running the ball a lot (and despite allocating a ton of money to the position with McKinnon and coleman) so I think for such a high use position its time to upgrade the talent there. 

So when you say upgrade the talent, are you saying you want to draft a RB? Because the type of RBs you speak of are usually off the board in the first 3 rounds. And I'm just not comfortable drafting a RB that high with other needs we have and the lack of picks for this upcoming draft. Shanny completely whiffed the last time he drafted a RB so I'm not ready to go down that road again.

I get what you're saying though, just don't believe its a pressing need at the moment. If McKinnon comes back healthy, you'll have 3 capable homerun hitters in the backfield, along with Wilson. I'm more than fine rolling with that group if we indeed cut Coleman.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So when you say upgrade the talent, are you saying you want to draft a RB? Because the type of RBs you speak of are usually off the board in the first 3 rounds. And I'm just not comfortable drafting a RB that high with other needs we have and the lack of picks for this upcoming draft.

that's exactly what I am saying. I want to traded down multiple times out of #31 and then use one of the newly acquired picks in the first three rounds to draft a RB while still being able to add depth and plug other holes. Look at what seattle did last year.

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Shanny completely whiffed the last time he drafted a RB so I'm not ready to go down that road again.

all I can say is - lol. wish this wasn't true. Imagine having Alvin Kamara instead of Joe Williams

12 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I get what you're saying though, just don't believe its a pressing need at the moment. If McKinnon comes back healthy, you'll have 3 capable homerun hitters in the backfield, along with Wilson. I'm more than fine rolling with that group if we indeed cut Coleman.

yeah, its good enough to where we are going to be fine there either way, but I think next year is about taking advantage of our window. A studly RB who can do everything (catch passes, pass block, run outside, run inside, run with power, make guys miss, run past people) would allow kyle to be even more creative with his personnel packages and play designs. I think that could greatly benefit us.