General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

Adding $10m in cap room withe restructure of Kwon's contract is great but will that affect future seasons or was that added to the 2019 season? Don't like the idea of moving Sherman to FS. If anything, I would release Sherman before moving him to FS. Why do some here want to let Ward go? I don't understand that. If anything, the team should release Sherman and re-sign Ward.

9 hours ago, dan77733 said:

Adding $10m in cap room withe restructure of Kwon's contract is great but will that affect future seasons or was that added to the 2019 season? Don't like the idea of moving Sherman to FS. If anything, I would release Sherman before moving him to FS. Why do some here want to let Ward go? I don't understand that. If anything, the team should release Sherman and re-sign Ward.

This is his first year of actually staying healthy for any length of time. This, coming off of another broken bone in pre-season, is difficult to gamble on. If he doesn't get much love in free agency and we could bring him back at modest pay bump, for sure. If we have to get into a bidding war with someone willing to over pay? No thank you. 

It's just so difficult to invest in someone who is coming up on 30 and can't stay healthy.

So @Forge give us a breakdown of how much cap space we have and will have once we get rid of Goodwin/McKinnon/etc? 

Anyways, next year we HAVE to implement the deep ball into our offense or at the very least attack the perimeter more. The offense is damn good don't get me wrong, it needs to even be better going forward if the defense takes bit of a step back. Though I'm confident the defense will still be elite if Armstead returns. But we saw how much the defense slipped with a few injuries and if Buckner/Bosa are to ever go down for a decent period of time, then the defense can be in a lot of trouble. 

Sanders can't really be the lone deep threat either, and that's if he even returns. Let's say we trade down, someone give me a potential target in the 2nd or 3rd round? Or possible FA addition? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Report: 49ers assistant Chris Kiffin leaves for Browns, Aaron Whitecotton replaces him

That sucks, really think Kiffin provided a spark for our D-line. But the Bills D-line has been pretty good over the last couple seasons, so hopefully this replacement is, at worst, a lateral move

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is his first year of actually staying healthy for any length of time. This, coming off of another broken bone in pre-season, is difficult to gamble on. If he doesn't get much love in free agency and we could bring him back at modest pay bump, for sure. If we have to get into a bidding war with someone willing to over pay? No thank you. 

It's just so difficult to invest in someone who is coming up on 30 and can't stay healthy.

Ward will be 29 in July. How much would the franchise tag cost for Ward and Armstead? Maybe resign Armstead and franchise Ward for a year and draft his replacement?

I wouldn’t be surprised if we just went with Moore. He had a few rough games as far as taking angles, but he was transitioning from corner and now has a full year playing at his natural FS position. Might lose a bit in the tackling department, but I think he’d add a ball hawking dimension Ward doesn’t seem to posses. We can’t resign everyone and I think Moore is ready to play and to do so at a much lower salary. If we can bring back Ward at a reasonable price then I’m all for it, but I think he’ll get more than it’s worth for the difference he makes compared to Moore.

• Like 1

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

I know they announced the Richburg news but yesterday was the first I heard of Kwon.

Nah, it was definitely announced during the regular season. I remember us having a discussion in one of the GDT or maybe in the minor news thread.

Kwon will basically be here for two more seasons and I'm fine with that. Our LB core gives us a HUGE advantage in pass defense and we need to keep it together. When Warner is up for a big deal, then it will be time to move on from Kwon. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, it was definitely announced during the regular season. I remember us having a discussion in one of the GDT or maybe in the minor news thread.

Kwon will basically be here for two more seasons and I'm fine with that. Our LB core gives us a HUGE advantage in pass defense and we need to keep it together. When Warner is up for a big deal, then it will be time to move on from Kwon. 

agreed I think we Greenlaw would be ready for a full time role by then not to mention Al-Shaair and of course we could draft another speed LB within the next two years