General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

21 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd try to piece it together with existing parts as much as possible, but I don't think that you can get away from giving up that first rounder, which kind of sucks. If I could? Here's parts I'd be more than willing to move:

Dee Ford is 100% in the mix given their need for edge rusher. Wouldn't love it given we don't have a replacement, but I think it's one of those things you dive into and there are guys available that you could theoretically replace him with for at least this year (which is honestly all I'd guarantee with Ford at this part anyway). Everson Griffen. Clowney. Wake, Sheard, Ziggy. Obviously none of those guys is going to be Ford if he's 100% healthy, but maybe there's something there where you wouldn't lose as much. 

Kwon? They don't really need him, but yep, he's a guy I could bump. You're gambling hardcore on Greenlaw at that, but I think Adams probably allows you to do that. 

Tartt is obviously headed there in any situation as a complimentary piece. 

Pettis I'm fine with moving on from, and I'm open to moving him in several deals. Mullens can be included is they want a backup QB. Thomas I'd easily move, especially for cap

Kwon I don't see happening because I think he's been said to be a big part of the recruitment. I think Ford is actually the best player we could trade, but I think he might the most easy to replace too. It feels like there's still a really good market crop of available edge rushers that we could throw out there. If you can grab one of those guys, a rotation of Blair, Bosa, Griffen/Sheard/Clowney is a solid 3 man rotation. Not to mention guys like Taylor, Thomas and Armstead being perfectly competent to hold the edge down on Base downs..(I realize Thomas is stretching.)..If we could structure a contract for Adams in which we defer his hit, we could probably get someone like that to replace ford..right?

I'm still not a fan of it.. I think reputation with players matters and I can't imagine it's a good luck to sign and then trade someone like Ford, who was actually very good last year. I know it's part of ths business, especially in football..but just leaves a bit of a sour taste. 

Just randomly looking at our list of 2021 FA's...boy its a long list of important players

-George Kittle

-Richard Sherman

-Trent Williams

-Jackquiski Tartt

-K'Waun Williams

-Kyle Jucyzk

-DJ Jones

-Emmanuel Mosley

-Kendrick Bourne

-Trent Taylor

-Ronald Blair

-Ben Garland

-Nick Mullens

-Kevin Givens

-Daniel Brunskill

-Marcell Harris

-Akhello Witherspoon

-CJ Betheard

-Solomon Thomas

-Tom Compton

-Robbie Gould (i believe its a team option)

Also could see Ford, Richburg, & Alexander released after the season due to injury/salary issues. Also, Tevin Coleman & Jeff Wilson are FA's, but Shanny finds RB's so easily that i doubt it'll be an issue 

Thats 37 UFA's...49ers are projected to have $42.9 mil in cap space in 2021, at a projected $209 million cap. Links below 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/all/san-francisco-49ers/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/2021/

We'll re-sign some of these players, have homegrown replacements step up for others, and let some walk. But it was still striking to see that many contributors as FA's this season. 

Main players i want to re-sign are Kittle,  DJ Jones, Brusnkill & Moseley. 

Most likely players i see leaving are Trent Williams, Sherman, K'Waun Williams, Bourne, Tartt, maybe even Juice...

I could see Woerner taking over for Juice, Moore for Tartt, Jennings for Bourne, etc. But no doubt in my mand that LT & CB will be top priorities next offseason

We'll really need to hit it out of the park in the 2021 draft to keep this thing going

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Just randomly looking at our list of 2021 FA's...boy its a long list of important players

-George Kittle

-Richard Sherman

-Trent Williams

-Jackquiski Tartt

-K'Waun Williams

-Kyle Jucyzk

-DJ Jones

-Emmanuel Mosley

-Kendrick Bourne

-Trent Taylor

-Ronald Blair

-Ben Garland

-Nick Mullens

-Kevin Givens

-Daniel Brunskill

-Marcell Harris

-Akhello Witherspoon

-CJ Betheard

-Solomon Thomas

-Tom Compton

Also could see Ford, Richburg, & Alexander released after the season due to injury/salary issues. Also, Tevin Coleman & Jeff Wilson are FA's, but Shanny finds RB's so easily that i doubt it'll be an issue 

Thats 37 UFA's...49ers are projected to have $42.9 mil in cap space in 2021, at a projected $209 million cap. Links below 

We'll re-sign some of these players, have homegrown replacements step up for others, and let some walk. But it was still striking to see that many contributors as FA's this season. 

Most likely players i see leaving are Trent Williams, Sherman, K'Waun Williams, Bourne, Tartt, maybe even Juice...

I could see Woerner taking over for Juice, Moore for Tartt, Jennings for Bourne, etc. But no doubt in my mand that LT & CB will be top priorities next offseason

We'll really need to hit it out of the park in the 2021 draft to keep this thing going

And in order to do that, we MUST keep our picks! We've parted with our 3rd; let's keep the rest.

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

-George Kittle

-Richard Sherman

-Trent Williams

-Jackquiski Tartt

-K'Waun Williams

-Kyle Jucyzk

-DJ Jones

-Emmanuel Mosley

-Kendrick Bourne

-Trent Taylor

-Ronald Blair

-Ben Garland

-Nick Mullens

-Kevin Givens

-Daniel Brunskill

-Marcell Harris

-Akhello Witherspoon

-CJ Betheard

-Solomon Thomas

-Tom Compton

I mean yes, it seems like alot but most of those names are replaceable and have heir apparents already on the roster. Only guys I really see as significant on that list is Sherm, Juice, Kittle, and Moseley. Both Moseley & Brunskill are ERFA so it shouldn't be a problem bringing them back. I like DJ Jones but he's not the type of talent that I would lose sleep over if he walked. I will have to see a step up in play this season for me to add him to the list. Everyone else would probably sting more, depth wise than anything else. Tartt will be a interesting one, as he's seen as a vital peice in the defense but I would assume he'll want a substantial raise to stay here, comparable to what he could fetch in the open market. And he and Harris being the only two true strong safeties on the roster, we'll be interesting to see how we approach that potential hole in 2021.

Edited by 757-NINER

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Both Moseley & Brunskill are ERFA so it shouldn't be a problem bringing them back.

A minor correction, but they would both be RFAs this year. Based on 2019 performance, I'd say each would probably fetch a 2nd round tender at the moment. In 2020, those were $3,278,000. That represents a significant 2.6M increase for each. Not huge - but $5.2M in extra cap space to those two players. Say Brunskill wins the RG job and repeats his 2019 performance? That's a certain jump up to a 1st round tender of $4,667,000 (in 2020 cost). The NFL highly covets offensive linemen, and he was unbeatable in 2019. To repeat that performance would suggest he's a high-level OL. I'd guess Moseley would still only be a 2nd round tender unless he takes a very unexpected major development leap and becomes a top 10 CB. Even if he develops into a top 30 CB, you don't necessarily need to go to a 1st round tender for him. 

11 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Also could see Ford, Richburg, & Alexander released after the season due to injury/salary issues.

I don't agree regarding Richburg because they just restructured his contract. I think he's likely going to see the full deal unless he chooses to retire due to injury. I agree about Ford and especially Alexander. This would be obvious if Dre Greenlaw has another good year, but either way, he represents what will likely be the easiest salary dump. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

When Rich puts it like that, we did have a pretty good offseason. 

Ive been saying this since the draft. We killed it this offseason. Pro maneuvering on their part. Everything fell into place perfectly. 

that yahoo article they referenced was so friggin dumb. how are you going to list offseason losses and not mention Joe Staley??

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 6:25 PM, 757-NINER said:

I mean yes, it seems like alot but most of those names are replaceable and have heir apparents already on the roster. Only guys I really see as significant on that list is Sherm, Juice, Kittle, and Moseley. Both Moseley & Brunskill are ERFA so it shouldn't be a problem bringing them back. I like DJ Jones but he's not the type of talent that I would lose sleep over if he walked. I will have to see a step up in play this season for me to add him to the list. Everyone else would probably sting more, depth wise than anything else. Tartt will be a interesting one, as he's seen as a vital peice in the defense but I would assume he'll want a substantial raise to stay here, comparable to what he could fetch in the open market. And he and Harris being the only two true strong safeties on the roster, we'll be interesting to see how we approach that potential hole in 2021.

I am very much hoping he proves you wrong this year, I expect DJ Jones to light it up this year.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 8:23 PM, Forge said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/6/23/21299668/49ers-receivers-deebo-samuel-brandon-aiyuk-kyle-shanahan

Correct link for those that had to go to theringer.com on your own since Forge can't apparently post links in a forum he moderates! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/6/23/21299668/49ers-receivers-deebo-samuel-brandon-aiyuk-kyle-shanahan

Correct link for those that had to go to theringer.com on your own since Forge can't apparently post links in a forum he moderates! 

oh man, I didn't even notice that. You know what's weird? It's not he beginning or the end of the link that's messed up. It's the double // in the middle of the address. How did I manage that if it's wrong? It was just a copy paste. I have no idea how that happened.