General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco reports 49ers DB D.J. Reed sustained a torn pectoral.

Reed only played a dozen or so defensive snaps last season, primarily providing value as a core special teamer. A torn pectoral likely sidelines him two months, which makes him questionable for the 49ers' season opener.

On 2020-07-01 at 1:24 PM, P_locniners said:

If we pulled off $13-15 million a year, I would say that is a huge win for the organization. He is worth that price range and maybe a little bit more, but when it starts getting closer to the $20 million range, that really hurts our cap room down the line.

The only way George gets "only" 13-15 million a year is if a large majority of it is guaranteed, in my opinion. I'm not opposed.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 1:40 PM, rudyZ said:

The only way George gets "only" 13-15 million a year is if a large majority of it is guaranteed, in my opinion. I'm not opposed.

There's a joke to be made about the exchange rate of Canadian dollars here, but I can't get the bat off of my shoulder

The opening few weeks are going to be a bunch of sloppy games. Already have a shortened offseason due to Covid-19 and now there will apparently be no preseason games. Luckily this roster is already stacked where there weren't many spots to win, but sucks for fringe players as they won't get a chance to showcase what they could do in an actual game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The opening few weeks are going to be a bunch of sloppy games. Already have a shortened offseason due to Covid-19 and now there will apparently be no preseason games. Luckily this roster is already stacked where there weren't many spots to win, but sucks for fringe players as they won't get a chance to showcase what they could do in an actual game. 

I can understand shortening the pre-season....but no games at all before the regular season?? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Joe Staley is already down 50 pounds since retiring. Those linemen lose it quick

They have to put on so much weight just to play, obviously unhealthy in the long run. Joe Thomas lost similar amount of weight when he retired. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

the calorie intake required to get that much exercise yet maintain 300+ lbs is unreal.

These guys honestly must spend their entire day eating and working out

Its not their natural weight. They carry around that weight to play and execute at a high level but most of these lineman have been trained to put on and maintain weight since entering college. Especially O-Lineman in alot of instances. 

59 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

So yeah...glad we got rid of Marquise Goodwin. 

I'll defer to Rod Serling as a response to what happened earlier, and leave it at that:

84eee1019f250e95f735b197a281a2e2.jpg

Ok, I'm throughly confused...what does this have to do with Goodwin excatly?