General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

Under-the-radar storyline heading into training camp

Will George Kittle play without a new deal? Nobody knows. A little birdie told me that Kittle’s deal is done, and his contract will look like an absolute steal. That deal would likely be announced sometime over the next week. If that happens, the focus may shift to whether or not Raheem Mostert will be traded, which seems unlikely, too.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/7/23/21334886/answering-seven-questions-to-help-preview-the-49ers-season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Will George Kittle play without a new deal? Nobody knows. A little birdie told me that Kittle’s deal is done, and his contract will look like an absolute steal. That deal would likely be announced sometime over the next week. If that happens, the focus may shift to whether or not Raheem Mostert will be traded, which seems unlikely, too.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/7/23/21334886/answering-seven-questions-to-help-preview-the-49ers-season

I remember seeing something a couple weeks ago suggesting that George wasn't asking for receiver money like much of the media had been indicating. It'll be interesting to see where it lands, but if it is anything 15 or below I consider that a huge steal. It will be really awesome to be able to lock up our best player for a fraction of the price of other team's top playmakers. 

38 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I remember seeing something a couple weeks ago suggesting that George wasn't asking for receiver money like much of the media had been indicating. It'll be interesting to see where it lands, but if it is anything 15 or below I consider that a huge steal. It will be really awesome to be able to lock up our best player for a fraction of the price of other team's top playmakers. 

One of the articles said something hilarious like 13 million per season. If we get him at 13 million it would be amazing highway robbery 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what's going on with Charlie Woerner? So far as I know, he still hasn't signed. Obviously there's a lot going on in the world, but seems odd that everyone else has been signed, including both first rounders and he's just chilling out there. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Charlie Woerner? So far as I know, he still hasn't signed. Obviously there's a lot going on in the world, but seems odd that everyone else has been signed, including both first rounders and he's just chilling out there. 

It has something due to him taking his physical I believe. Either Lombardi or Barrows mentioned that recently. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

what is the point of waiting to announce the deal? If I was kittle I wouldn't want to wait. for that reason, I dont buy it

I guess if there is uncertainty about the salary cap. Its pretty ridiculous that the NFL owners are already asking for concessions considering they have not missed a cent yet. I could see next year, sure, as the cap is a certain percentage of last seasons revenue. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N4L said:

what is the point of waiting to announce the deal? If I was kittle I wouldn't want to wait. for that reason, I dont buy it

I guess if there is uncertainty about the salary cap. Its pretty ridiculous that the NFL owners are already asking for concessions considering they have not missed a cent yet. I could see next year, sure, as the cap is a certain percentage of last seasons revenue. 

Fwiw, I think @The LBC can vouch for Kyle Posey at least not being full of crap. What he is hearing may not be true, but it may be the info that is wrong, not the fact that he's hearing it

12 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Man, that kind of drop would be crazy. 

Honestly, I don't think that we would be in that bad of a position to deal with it. It's just about cutting the fat. We'd be about 5 million under the cap currently, but almost the entire team needs a new deal. There'd be a lot of huge cuts or lack of re-signings, for sure. 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I don't think that we would be in that bad of a position to deal with it. It's just about cutting the fat. We'd be about 5 million under the cap currently, but almost the entire team needs a new deal. There'd be a lot of huge cuts or lack of re-signings, for sure. 

It would be distasterous, but at least it would be league wide. The timing basically could not have been worse though - right as we are in need of every dollar to pay our young core. I am still banking on the idea that the cap actually won't go down by much, especially if they are smart enough to move some games to Saturdays 

I guess the bright side of this is that we can expect a big jump up in cap space after the 4th year, which would be when bosa is set to be a free agent. The bad side is that there will probably be more than one team out there with an absurd amount of cap space 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

It would be distasterous, but at least it would be league wide. The timing basically could not have been worse though - right as we are in need of every dollar to pay our young core. I am still banking on the idea that the cap actually won't go down by much, especially if they are smart enough to move some games to Saturdays 

I guess the bright side of this is that we can expect a big jump up in cap space after the 4th year, which would be when bosa is set to be a free agent. The bad side is that there will probably be more than one team out there with an absurd amount of cap space 

Well yeah, that's how you're comparing it...against the rest of the league. And in that sense, we aren't bad off at all. Currently we would be 5 million under that amount where as half the rest of the league is already over it (including the Eagles, who have like 270 million in cap space tied up next year), though obviously that's pending Kittle's extension. There'd be a lot of fat trimming, for sure, but in the perspective, we could be in worse spots. Juice is either gone or comes back on a very limited deal (he'd probably have to accept something like 2 years / 2 million; half the league doesn't even use a FB any more). You may cut Dee Ford, though that was a possibility even without the decrease in salary cap. You could cut Kwon, which would could also happen regardless and at least we know we aren't falling off a cliff in that regard because Greenlaw isn't bad. We probably aren't bringing back Trent Williams, but a lot of people are thinking he's probably gone anyway.

So in truth, there are a lot of things that could certainly happen or are more likely to happen because of that decrease, but at the same time, a lot of these things were moves that could have been made anyway. And I think that this would actually improve our chances at bringing back mid tier guys on the cheap. Ronald Blair? Probably bring him back on 1-2 year deal super cheap without problems. DJ Jones? Yeah, probably comes back cheaply. Same for Trent Taylor ,and Kendrick Bourne. So that part actually isn't so bad. Hell, you may even get Tartt on a low ball re-sign at that point if we are being honest. 

Then you consider the Jimmy deal. That's one of the things that keeps us in solid shape - we have flexibility there. We can extend + restructure, and we could probably immediately save 10-12 million or so in that regard. Or we could release him outright, save 20 million, and see about signing someone else for much cheaper -there would be a number of quarterbacks that would end up hitting the market in this scenario because teams either would be forced to cut, or couldn't sign them. Dallas, for example, can't tag Dak again at that number on a 175M cap). Derek Carr probably hits the market. Dak. There should be 3 quarterbacks in the top 10 again this year (Lawrence, Fields, Lance), so there's absolutely a great chance that a team like the Lions, who probably pick in the top 10, drop Stafford at that point (they have 175M tied up in cap right now, cutting Stafford saves 14m). Drew Brees is 100% gone (Winston too) given that the Saints are 250M in space. Cam is back on the market. Big Ben costs 41 Million against the cap next season and saves 20 million if cut. He's gone. 

A lot of teams simply don't have that kind of flexibility, especially given the recency of the extensions they signed. The eagles and rams can't cut goff or Wentz to save money - the extensions are too new and they are deep underwater there. Same for the Falcons, who at the same time are also way over the cap. 

So if that were to happen...yes, there'd be a sort of league wide Armageddon that occurs...but I do believe that we are in better shape to weather that then most. Of course we would lose a lot of talent, most teams would (except the colts, who would basically own the NFL at that point LOL)

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Fwiw....

No idea who this guy is, but if true, the most interesting part of this is that tartt is not part of the deal. That tells me we were going to use Adams in some clever non traditional methods