Alex Smith talks his injury

Ryan_W

On 2/3/2020 at 10:46 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He really does need to retire and become a coach. Not a single person would disagree with that decision.

He has been hanging out with Snyder alot could see him a front office role he is a high IQ guy.

However he wont retire he wont leave that money on the table.

19 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

He has been hanging out with Snyder alot could see him a front office role he is a high IQ guy.

However he wont retire he wont leave that money on the table.

It just depends. His contract is only guaranteed for injury. If he's cleared (and I have no idea if he would be or not; I'm guessing he wouldn't be, but I can't say for sure), then they can cut him and move on and he could easily retire rather than try to catch on with someone else. If he isn't cleared to play, then yeah, he's not retiring (nor should he). Just collect those checks Alex. Consider it monetary reimbursement for the first 6 year or so of your career. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

It just depends. His contract is only guaranteed for injury. If he's cleared (and I have no idea if he would be or not; I'm guessing he wouldn't be, but I can't say for sure), then they can cut him and move on and he could easily retire rather than try to catch on with someone else. If he isn't cleared to play, then yeah, he's not retiring (nor should he). Just collect those checks Alex. Consider it monetary reimbursement for the first 6 year or so of your career. 

Alex got in when draft picks got big money

10 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Alex got in when draft picks got big money

At the time they were big, but now it seems super small tbh. His rookie deal only included 24 million fully guaranteed and they ended up reworking his deal pretty early on because of his struggles. It's actually kind of amazing to think about, but he actually earned less in 8 year with the 9ers than he has earned with either the Chiefs (4 years) or Washington (2 seasons, soon to be three given the guarantees for injury) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

QB coach with KC would be sweet

QB coach with San Francisco would be better. You're not improving on what Patrick Mahomes is doing, you're just along for the ride. If you go to San Francisco and get Jimmy Garropolo to improve on what he's done so far (he's got some things to improve on, but he's got the tools to do so) you're looked at as a QB whisperer and can start looking for potential OC roles, or maybe return to Utah for a HC gig.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Forge said:

At the time they were big, but now it seems super small tbh. His rookie deal only included 24 million fully guaranteed and they ended up reworking his deal pretty early on because of his struggles. It's actually kind of amazing to think about, but he actually earned less in 8 year with the 9ers than he has earned with either the Chiefs (4 years) or Washington (2 seasons, soon to be three given the guarantees for injury) 

And after he collects his checks from this coming season, he will have earned well over $100 million for his career.  He absolutely should not retire and continue to collect the checks.  It protects the players who come after him who have something similar happen.  

I'm glad that he didn't lose his leg or his life though.  That was a gruesome hit to see in person.  I'm sure he will be involved in football after he is done though.  I can see him as a coach or in the front office if he wants it.  But he also has 100 million reasons to sit at home and do nothing and enjoy life and get off the football schedule.  

36 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And after he collects his checks from this coming season, he will have earned well over $100 million for his career.  He absolutely should not retire and continue to collect the checks.  It protects the players who come after him who have something similar happen.  

I'm glad that he didn't lose his leg or his life though.  That was a gruesome hit to see in person.  I'm sure he will be involved in football after he is done though.  I can see him as a coach or in the front office if he wants it.  But he also has 100 million reasons to sit at home and do nothing and enjoy life and get off the football schedule.  

Yeah, he definitely shouldn't retire if he's not cleared. Take those checks. If he is cleared and they can cut him with no money issues (guaranteed for injury), then I'd hope he would retire rather than go elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Worked for Adam Gase as "offensive coordinator" with Manning. He's parlayed that into two NFL head coaching jobs

And it is a chance to become a branch on the Andy Reid tree... that's a lock to grow into something more.

So, maybe KC it is.