The good, the bad, the ugly vs. Jets

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Cooper opens a lot of things up for the offense, hes our biggest threat and teams try and take him away. Hell have a big week and all will forget.

We won't forget. It's just a seesaw of who the defenses keys on and/or who they put their top defender on. Matchups and hot routes determine who gets the ball, not who the #1 WR is or who has more talent. Of course at time we make an effort to get someone involved but in those case we try to adjust the plays and matchups in their favor.

The Good

Winning as we were expected to by a large margin - it's simply what good teams do to weak teams

KNJ blitzing Joseph repeatedly and being aggressive, it paid off and glad he didn't go conservative

Again, we won in the trenches and very pleased that we kept Wilkerson and Williams almost anonymous  (Wilkerson looks like a shell of the player he has been so glad we didn't give him $75m a year ago)

Conley had an excellent debut, looked very smooth and competent with no big mistakes - it's only one game so restraint is needed.......

Running game was varied and Downing is doing a great job so far I feel, not so predictable and mixing it up nicely. helps to have lots of options.

Carr played with just the right amount of risk/reward and looks like he's taking the next step, showing no ill effects of the leg break - was expecting a little nervousness in the pocket but it seems he's as composed as ever

LBs stepping up again and proving not to be a weak spot so far, we actually looked pretty good in coverage - albeit with the caveat the Jets have very little at TE

Penn showing no signs of fading so far and Newhouse is pretty solid at least - good value signing 

Special teams always seem to win their duel with opposing STs and it makes a real difference - I keep forgetting to mention them too!

The Bad

Amerson did miss on a few big plays and it could cost us in tighter games - not too worried as he still had good coverage just failed to get the PD

There was precious little else bad really from our perspective though it is sad to see the Jets looking so forlorn 

The Ugly

A number of officiating calls were complete nonsense - they should be brought to task same as coaches and players as in a tighter game could have made a huge difference. The officiating in this game was simply not up to professional standard (for both teams). Embarrassing to the NFL.

Overall, I thought this was a very good game from the Raiders, a little tighter than it could have been but I never felt like we weren't winning comfortably and it seemed to me like we were actually keeping some stuff back and that we could stretch away at any time. It feels like we're keeping Lynch on a chain and will just unleash him at the right time....... Very happy thus far with the DL and Vanderdoes, Jelly and MEJ look pretty good in there - though Eddie does sometimes over pursue and take himself out of plays with youthful over excitement I think he'll mature out of those types of things - you can't buy his motor and energy. Our OL is playing at an elite level - especially the big 3 inside. LBs have been a very pleasant surprise so far and look NFL starter quality at least after worrying all of us all off season.

It's too early to anoint the defence, just like it was too early to condemn them in pre-season but it's actually looking pretty positive so far. I'll need to see more evidence to declare them good but I think we initially look improved over last years vintage.

Most have been covered but 

Good - 

JDR giving it to the officials and not sitting on the fence. Some of those calls were a total disgrace. That being said special teams penalties like offsides on kickoff can simply not happen. 

Cordarrelle Patterson - Monster on special teams, his kick/punt coverage is worth his salary alone. Glad we are getting him involved on O, when we go 4 wide him giving Carr the option to audible for inside runs is a huge boon to the O. 

Bad -

Would like to see Carr hold the ball slightly more sometimes. His ball protection is fantastic but sometimes an extra second with how good our pass pro is would be great. 

52 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Most have been covered but 

Good - 

JDR giving it to the officials and not sitting on the fence. Some of those calls were a total disgrace. That being said special teams penalties like offsides on kickoff can simply not happen. 

Cordarrelle Patterson - Monster on special teams, his kick/punt coverage is worth his salary alone. Glad we are getting him involved on O, when we go 4 wide him giving Carr the option to audible for inside runs is a huge boon to the O. 

Bad -

Would like to see Carr hold the ball slightly more sometimes. His ball protection is fantastic but sometimes an extra second with how good our pass pro is would be great. 

He completed 82% of his passes and didn't make mistakes. What would holding onto the ball longer accomplish exactly? 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He completed 82% of his passes and didn't make mistakes. What would holding onto the ball longer accomplish exactly? 

I'm talking in general, against a team we are steamrolling that's fine but I think he leaves plays on the field sometimes. I love DC, he is on the road to elite but I would like to see a little bit more there just occasionally. 

Archived