How long until we stop seeing Allen's "legacy?"

Slateman

Can't help but notice things this season that serve as annoying reminders of Allen's tenure here.

• The RG3 debacle
  • The Kirk Cousins debacle
  • Alex Smith being a bust of a trade
  • Watching Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan take their new teams to the Super Bowl.
  • Trent Williams becoming a malcontent
  • Watching Kendall Fuller and Brashad Breeland anchor a Super Bowl winning secondary

At what point are we going to forget about this? Will it be years? A decade? 

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Can't help but notice things this season that serve as annoying reminders of Allen's tenure here.

• The RG3 debacle
  • Watching Kendall Fuller and Brashad Breeland anchor a Super Bowl winning secondary

Lest we forget

The cheerleader debacle

The Cravens debacle

7 out of 52 draft picks getting a 2nd contract

Scot McCloughan

Attendance

Hiring and then firing the new tickets guy

Voted least trusted executive 

Never spoke to media

Part of salary cap scandal

• Like 1

I agree with Lavar that the era will not be forgotten by diehard fans but, let’s not forget the bandwagon fans who gave up in 09 bc of Vinny came back in droves just at the hire of Allen and Shanahan in 2010. Then, they soured during 2011 only to come back in droves in 2012 under RG3 mania! 

If the team wins in a few years, the bandwagon type fans will return and people will just be saying Snyder finally did the right thing by firing Allen but he should have done it years before he did! They’ll also say if Dan had fired Allen sooner, we would’ve been a winner team sooner, but we’ll take the winning seasons if they come under Rivera in a few years and Bruce will just be a bad memory like Vinny now is.

8 hours ago, Slateman said:

• The RG3 debacle

With a aggressive Free Agency period and another GREAT draft, I could see a quick turnaround. The team had Talent they where just lacking the correct direction to turn it into Wins. The New Culture change will have these guys reaching their True potential. Next year I see at least 6 wins just off the guys already here and how they played this past season without Rivera. Rivera and his Staff will bring good change for this team Immediately. Give him 3 years they will be in the Playoffs again, maybe even before than. 

46 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

With a aggressive Free Agency period and another GREAT draft, I could see a quick turnaround. The team had Talent they where just lacking the correct direction to turn it into Wins. The New Culture change will have these guys reaching their True potential. Next year I see at least 6 wins just off the guys already here and how they played this past season without Rivera. Rivera and his Staff will bring good change for this team Immediately. Give him 3 years they will be in the Playoffs again, maybe even before than. 

Guys already here? Is that assuming that Scherff is retained?

I see 6 wins too w/o a few good FA addition and the draft.

Edited by turtle28

On 2/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, Slateman said:

• The RG3 debacle

The non-bandwagon fans aren't going to soon forget it.  However, if my prediction on Rivera comes true- he only lasts four seasons, one division title and leaves with a losing record- we might forget Allen pretty quickly.  

Because let's face it, Rivera's hiring has as much, or more, to do with perception than it does with his coaching ability.  

Snyder allowed 10 years of Bruce Allen to rule the roost.  During that time, Allen presided over one of the worst on-field NFL teams as far as records go.  He screwed over players.  He screwed over people he hired for jobs.  He screwed over people that Snyder hired for his job.  The Redskins became a joke, where no qualified coordinator candidates wanted to go- see the hirings of Joe Barry and Greg Manusky over others- and where free agents ignored the team unless you backed up a Brinks truck to them.  

Rivera is just as much about the perception of fixing that versus his abilities as a coach.  He's known as tough but fair by just about everyone giving a sound-bite about him.  In the nation's capital, he's a guy who is a huge support of veterans, as his father served over three decades in the military.  He's going to be heavily involved as a community ambassador once this first year is done, and he's a minority coaching hire who is also going to have personnel power- both are things that the NFL and other organizations are pushing to see.  I'm just noting all of this for my final statement, not looking to discuss anything else beyond the facts of it.  

If the Rivera coaching experiment fails, then it proves that Daniel Snyder lays at the center of it all.  He can point all he wants to doing what the fans wanted- change the culture, go with a "coach centered approach" and it didn't work.  He will come out and find some new way to do things, but ultimately, the failures of the past 20 years lie at the feet of one constant person- Snyder.  If Rivera fails, it's another reminder that the one person who can change things failed yet again, and that will chase away more fans than Bruce Allen did.  

57 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Al Galdi was just on the radio and said Kyle Shanahan said at the SB the 49ers offered the first round pick that became Joey Bosa for Kirk Cousins but Bruce Allen  said no.

How? The 49ers didn’t draft Joey Bosa. I think that first round pick became Solomon Thomas. Do you mean Nick Bosa?

Edited by turtle28

So, here’s my take on the Rivera era. If he is Joe Gibbs 2.0 (2 winning seasons in 4 w/ a playoff win) w/o the awful trading mid round picks for vet players, he’ll be here at least on a second contract if he wants to be. 

The bar is just so damn low, we all know that but we have to realize it too. If a coach just comes in here, changes the football culture and accountability and gets a few winning seasons, Snyder is going to give them a contract extension in hopes that their second contract gets him a Super Bowl.

Edited by turtle28

The Bosa on the 49ers.  It would have become him so it was a future first.  Obviously the 49ers ended up with Bosa because Jimmy G got hurt.  If they had Cousins maybe that doesn’t happen, so it could have ended up a mid to late first.  But still, then we could have taken Haskins and Sweat without trading up.  We’d have another 2nd round talent on our roster from last years class, and we’d still have our 2nd this year.  Thanks Bruce.