Green Bay Packers Salary Cap Thread

JBURGE

At this point in my fandom, team building is my favourite thing to follow, and I'm increasingly interested in cap management. 

I am not going to be RashaanSalaami or whatever his name was and post graphs and excel docs because we have OTC and Spotrac, but maybe I will if people are interested enough. 

I'm starting this thread for people (myself included) to ask questions about our cap. Who we could restructure and how it would impact the cap, extensions, really anything. 

I'm prompted to make this because of the news about our cap space being appx $31m after Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor cuts, along with $5m for the rookie pool. I think we all thought it would be closer to $45m when Rodgers' restructure was announced. 

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 5

Here is a glance at the rough numbers for the GB draft picks.   the pick numbers might be off with comp picks, but the $$ number should be close.

Important to understand the rookie picks will only add to the cap if they are above the 51st highest cap hit player (rule of 51), and some of the draft picks will only "add" the difference in their cap hit minus the player they are bumping from the top 51.

Available Draft Picks Base Hit Signing Bonus Cap Hit
1ST Rnd - Pick 30 | Ovrall: 30 $510,000 $1,686,078 $2,196,078
2ND Rnd - Pick 30 | Ovrall: 62 $510,000 $412,135 $922,135
3RD Rnd - Pick 30 | Ovrall: 94 $510,000 $254,595 $764,595
4TH Rnd - Pick 30 | Ovrall: 133 $510,000 $200,773 $710,773
5TH Rnd - Pick 36 | Ovrall: 176 $510,000 $81,516 $591,516
6TH Rnd - Pick 34 | Ovrall: 210 $510,000 $46,632 $556,632
7TH Rnd - Pick 1 | Ovrall: 219 $510,000 $33,262 $543,262
7TH Rnd - Pick 25 | Ovrall: 243 $510,000 $23,653 $533,653
7TH Rnd - Pick 26 | Ovrall: 244 $510,000 $23,461 $533,461
  • Like 1

Thanks @squire12, I think this is misunderstood a lot. People will add up the cap hits of the draft picks that you have listed above and assume that is what you deduct from the cap projections, but what you said is true. Only 51 players count towards the cap, and so for example if all of nine our rookies make the 53 man roster (unlikely), then they will bump 9 other players off the roster and payroll (these salaries they bump are usually minimum players). So yes, what counts towards the cap is the difference between the rookie's cap hit an the corresponding salary for the player that is cut. 

Per OTC we've got 23.7M (+53 people, so the same effective cap space).

Rookies  -3M

Options:

Cutting Graham +8M

Cutting Taylor +4.2M

Cutting Linsley +8.5M

Cutting M. Adams +0.8M

Extending Kenny +3M Max (I'd say)

Restructuring D. Adams +6M Max (converting base salary to signing bonus)

There are no more realistic restructuring options. Doing it with Davante would mean he'd have a 22.6M cap hit in 2021.

That's it, there's no more magic to be made.

Edited by VonKarman
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

If you give him a 5/72 extension (including this years 7.6M), give him a 23M SB and give a base salary of 1M for the first year you'd free 2M.

I asked this in another thread earlier, but if we give him the extension before the new league year kicks off, is the 5th year option ripped up or adjusted? 

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

Cutting M. Adams +0.8M

Not calling you out, but this is something I've seen time and time again.  The savings here are minimal when you include the fact that you have to slot in a replacement (~500k) into the salary cap, so your real savings are closer to $0.3M rather than that nearly $1M that appears.  That's why players on rookie contracts aren't release for "cap savings".  They're released for numbers reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not sure extending Kenny will give us anything.

Just depends on how they decide to structure it.  If they just tack on new years to the end of the deal, it obviously won't change.  But if they tear up the last year and extend into the new deal, it could go up or down as they wish.  I think Grady Jarrett is probably a pretty good contract comp for Kenny Clark.  The Falcons signed Jarrett to a 4 year, $68M deal with a $18M signing bonus.  The cap hit for the first two years were a combined ~$23.3M, where as Year 3 was $20.8M, and Year 4 was $23.8M.

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just depends on how they decide to structure it.  If they just tack on new years to the end of the deal, it obviously won't change.  But if they tear up the last year and extend into the new deal, it could go up or down as they wish.  I think Grady Jarrett is probably a pretty good contract comp for Kenny Clark.  The Falcons signed Jarrett to a 4 year, $68M deal with a $18M signing bonus.  The cap hit for the first two years were a combined ~$23.3M, where as Year 3 was $20.8M, and Year 4 was $23.8M.

Is that an option though, to tear it up? I expected it to be something closer to what @VonKarman said, wher we could adjust his salary or turn it into a bonus, whatever. But you would still have to work with that 2020 salary. 

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Is that an option though, to tear it up? I expected it to be something closer to what @VonKarman said, wher we could adjust his salary or turn it into a bonus, whatever. But you would still have to work with that 2020 salary. 

I don't see why not.  It'd essentially be like releasing him and immediately re-signing him.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not calling you out, but this is something I've seen time and time again.  The savings here are minimal when you include the fact that you have to slot in a replacement (~500k) into the salary cap, so your real savings are closer to $0.3M rather than that nearly $1M that appears.  That's why players on rookie contracts aren't release for "cap savings".  They're released for numbers reasons.

Yeah, you are right, it happens with every cut you make.

Here's a useful page at OverTheCap
It lists contracts by position and parses out total deal, guarantee and annual average
Just click on any position to see the top deals for that spot

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

Then think about the Packers mantra when it comes to non-elite players:
" If you want top 5 cash, good luck on your new team"
 "If you want a competitive deal, let's talk"