Green Bay Packers Salary Cap Thread

JBURGE

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The Mighty Green Bay Packers have an emergency fund that they've built up over many years
This fund is currently sitting at $387 Million and its purpose is to give the publicly- owned team a financial buffer similar to what a deep-pocketed owner might have for other teams. It seems likely that revenue will be greatly reduced on the local side and that's where this fund can help. Its been suggested that some teams will be looking to cut costs for 2020 to close the gap, including dumping high priced vets for teams that really aren't in contention this year

We'll see what happens-  but I don't mind leaning on that "rainy day" fund...its definitely raining this year.

Perhaps we should be creating a thread for speculating which players would get the ax...

What source are you quoting btw?

GB and Aaron Jones agent are engaging in initial conversations...to see if there's a middle ground
What's a fair number for Jones and the Packers ?
Assume a 2- 3 year extension on top of 2020 so Jones gets another bite at the apple while still an under -30 RB

And no, we don't need you to barf out your " don't pay RBs mantra"  yet again. All good on that front

Is there a fair number that both sides can live with ? I think it's possible -  so what is that number ?
Current RB contracts linked below,  maybe in the $ 6-7 M range ?

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

GB and Aaron Jones agent are engaging in initial conversations...to see if there's a middle ground
Assume a 2- 3 year extension on top of 2020 so Jones gets another bite at the apple while still an under -30 RB

And no, we don't need you to barf out your " don't pay RBs mantra"  yet again. All good on that front

Is there a fair number that both sides can live with ? I think it's possible -  so what is that number ?

ew. I can't imagine he takes less than $8m. 

On 5/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, Shanedorf said:

On 5/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, JBURGE said:

ew. I can't imagine he takes less than $8m. 

I want a 6-7M/average.  

But I rarely get what I want.  Add 30% to that number and I'm guessing 9M average over 3 years.  

I can even live and be pretty happy with a 3 year, $30M extension.

I don't want to pay a running back, but Jones is a true weapon and doesn't have a lot of mileage on him.

Pairing him with Dillon is pretty exciting.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I want a 6-7M/average.  

But I rarely get what I want.  Add 30% to that number and I'm guessing 9M average over 3 years.  

I can even live and be pretty happy with a 3 year, $30M extension.

I don't want to pay a running back, but Jones is a true weapon and doesn't have a lot of mileage on him.

Pairing him with Dillon is pretty exciting.

To me, RB should be a position we are able to have effective starters on rookie contracts and spend the money elsewhere. By drafting Dillon it seemed that was the case. If we then pay Jones and run the ball more than we should, big yikes for me. Why draft a RB in the 2nd if you are going to pay one $9m a year? You might say the Ravens are doing this with Ingram... not comparable as Lamar is on his rookie deal. We don't have that luxury. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

To me, RB should be a position we are able to have effective starters on rookie contracts and spend the money elsewhere. By drafting Dillon it seemed that was the case. If we then pay Jones and run the ball more than we should, big yikes for me. Why draft a RB in the 2nd if you are going to pay one $9m a year? You might say the Ravens are doing this with Ingram... not comparable as Lamar is on his rookie deal. We don't have that luxury. 

Unless Dillon bombs....possible, but unlikely IMO.....or AJ decides to stick around for a ridiculously low offer.....I think we're looking at Dillon and Jamaal as the 1-2 RBs of the future.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Unless Dillon bombs....possible, but unlikely IMO.....or AJ decides to stick around for a ridiculously low offer.....I think we're looking at Dillon and Jamaal as the 1-2 RBs of the future.

I really like Dillon a lot, but neither he nor Williams are starter material. They're RB2's; you need a legit starter and I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted another one early in next year's draft in the event Jones isn't extended or re-signed.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

I really like Dillon a lot, but neither he nor Williams are starter material. They're RB2's; you need a legit starter and I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted another one early in next year's draft in the event Jones isn't extended or re-signed.

a guy who hasn't yet played in the NFL, drafted in the 2nd round, and is the most athletic RB drafted since saquon barkley isn't starter material.  

k.

You have a very predefined set of skills you are looking for if Dillon isn't starter material.

Edited by skibrett15

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

a guy who hasn't yet played in the NFL, drafted in the 2nd round, and is the most athletic RB drafted since saquon barkley isn't starter material.  

k.

You have a very predefined set of skills you are looking for if Dillon isn't starter material.

That's why I don't think he's starter material.

Plus the fact that he's got a ton of mileage as is. I would say he's athletic, but I wouldn't say he's as athletic as Saquon...

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's why I don't think he's starter material.

because he's a rookie? like, what am I missing here?

Why can't a rookie be starter material, especially since you are talking "long term" with Dillon/Williams as the options for next year.  If you said he isn't the starter over jones, then sure we all agree.  But you're saying Dillon isn't starter quality player for next year!

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I look at it differently, and that is because I do have a soft spot for Jones.

We lack playmakers on offense.  Jones is one of them.  Dillon is an unknown right now.  MLF wants to run the ball.  We will need 2 backs, and maybe even 3.  Thunder and Lightning make sense to me, especially if our WR corp remains the same.

I'd pay to keep Jones on the team, but I wouldn't go nuts to do it.

If we had Prime Rodgers and were airing it out, I'd totally agree with you.  But we don't.  And won't.  So...might as well have a very strong running game.  

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I view Dillon, right now, as starter material.  You can do worse than him in the league.  I view Williams as a low end #2 RB, but high end #3.  I like the kid, but his game is very replaceable (Williams).

But, let's be very clear, he's not the same kind of back as Barkley.  Few are. 

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:
3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I look at it differently, and that is because I do have a soft spot for Jones.

We lack playmakers on offense.  Jones is one of them.  Dillon is an unknown right now.  MLF wants to run the ball.  We will need 2 backs, and maybe even 3.  Thunder and Lightning make sense to me, especially if our WR corp remains the same.

I'd pay to keep Jones on the team, but I wouldn't go nuts to do it.

If we had Prime Rodgers and were airing it out, I'd totally agree with you.  But we don't.  And won't.  So...might as well have a very strong running game.  

You can defend it with the bolded, however the bolded is also part of my problem. Running is inefficient and I hate the idea the offense will start with the run game

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

You can defend it with the bolded, however the bolded is also part of my problem. Running is inefficient and I hate the idea the offense will start with the run game

I don't like it either, but it is a reality.

And really, maybe we should embrace it a little.  We aren't stacked in the WR room.  Our QB isn't Prime anymore.  Might as well try the Bronco/Elway approach for a couple of years.