Green Bay Packers Salary Cap Thread

JBURGE

3 hours ago, craig said:

I don't think I'd put Bakhti that high.  Especially not in terms of extending now.  He's been really good for us, but he's been bashing away for 7 NFL seasons.  This will be 8th season.  We could tag for season 9.  After his tag season, his subsequent multi-year megabucks contract will be very expensive.  3rd-contract for guys in their 30's, sometimes good players earn good contracts for sure.  But I'd be a little hesitant to pay top-market dollars with big guarantee based on what a guy was in years 3-7 of his career, for a 30's guy in years 10-12 of his career.  

So I'd wait on him, and see if he stays healthy this year, and if father time starts to show.  Then I'd maybe tag him for another year.  

Not saying he won't be well worth paying, and paying high market price for an OT.  I'm just suggesting that trying to extend him at full-market price (or what would have seemed to be full-market price pre-Covid), seems premature now.  With Covid-based shrinkage of the salary cap, I'm not sure what market will be a season from now, or after a tag season.  I think it would make best sense to wait and see what happens with this season and with the cap, and then to maybe let his tag season play out, before making any long-term extension. 

So are you advocating using the franchise tag on Bakhtiari that would lock in a 1 year deal for ~$15M for the 2021 season, when bv the covid dynamic could flatten or reduce the cap for 2021?

Good point, squire, thanks.  Yeah, franchise tag might be harder to apply in cap-depressed world.  

We'll see what the market looks like after this season.  

Even then, a $15/1 deal *might* still end up looking OK.  IN either case, I don't think discussing an extension now, or before the season is well along and proven safe to be completed, is probably advisable.  

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If we're complaining about spending $2M on RB2 who played in a quarter of our snaps last year, then we're doing well.

Very true statement, IF that was what was happening... but it wasn't what was happening.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Brat&Beer said:

Packers have 5 starters who will be UFA's in 2021:

Clark 

Bakhtiari

King

Jones

Linsley

I've listed them in what I think the priority of signing them should be. 

The Packers would not have gone 14-4  without Aaron Jones, can't say the same about Kevin King. I put Jones no less than 3rd. 

2 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

The Packers would not have gone 14-4  without Aaron Jones, can't say the same about Kevin King. I put Jones no less than 3rd. 

Just want to make sure you're of the opinion that swapping out Kevin King with Josh Jackson wouldn't have had any effect on our record in a year where almost all of our games were one score games?

That's your stated and final position?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just want to make sure you're of the opinion that swapping out Kevin King with Josh Jackson wouldn't have had any effect on our record in a year where almost all of our games were one score games?

That's your stated and final position?

Hollman and Sullivan are better than Jackson at this point in the game. Despite what's been said by the coaching staff, I think we're still trying to figure out what Jackson's role may be...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Hollman and Sullivan are better than Jackson at this point in the game. Despite what's been said by the coaching staff, I think we're still trying to figure out what Jackson's role may be...

We know absolutely nothing about Hollman to be able to say that.

7 hours ago, Joe said:

We're now 2 years into Josh Jackson's career as a former 2nd round pick, and he played in less than 10% of the defensive snaps last year.  Meanwhile, Sullivan played in in 34% of the snaps and Hollman played in 4 snaps all year.  It's fairly clear that Sullivan has leapfrogged Josh Jackson the depth chart.  Josh Jackson is more likely in danger of being released this year then he is to figuring things out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Josh Jackson is more likely in danger of being released this year then he is to figuring things out.

Fully agree. If I were Murphy, I would've asked Gute to trade him by now. Try to get something for him. Hell, throw a pick and another player in and upgrade elsewhere. 

Personally, I think we should drop Jackson in as a Safety. If his ball skills are great enough to garner 1st round consideration you should be able to plug him in at Safety in relief of Savage or Amos and he should be able to give you quality reps.

Edited by Joe

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

Fully agree. If I were Murphy, I would've asked Gute to trade him by now. Try to get something for him. Hell, throw a pick and another player in and upgrade elsewhere. 

Personally, I think we should drop Jackson in as a Safety. If his ball skills are great enough to garner 1st round consideration you should be able to plug him in at Safety in relief of Savage or Amos and he should be able to give you quality reps.

I want to say that they tried him at safety last year.  I seem to recall reading that.  Obviously if they did, the results in practice weren't good enough to beat out Redmond and Sullivan for any reps.

I'm not giving up on Jackson yet, but CWood is right, he's on thin ice.