Atlanta Falcons will not pursue negotiations with Vic Beasley

Killashaw

47 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

EDIT: Then again, he could always trade back up...

He's trading back in. Probably going to trade Hopkins away for that.

For all of the criticism, BoB actually has a pretty good track record of first round selections. Not great, but good. Nobody figured Tytus Howard was worth the pick, but he was an all rookie selection and is a key guy on the OL opposite Tunsil.

I won't give him too much credit, but I'll give him credit for the occasional hit.

59 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's trading back in. Probably going to trade Hopkins away for that.

For all of the criticism, BoB actually has a pretty good track record of first round selections. Not great, but good. Nobody figured Tytus Howard was worth the pick, but he was an all rookie selection and is a key guy on the OL opposite Tunsil.

I won't give him too much credit, but I'll give him credit for the occasional hit.

Yeah, you’re right. Looking back, you guys have a pretty good track record with drafting. 

Just couldn’t resist a BoB joke.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, you’re right. Looking back, you guys have a pretty good track record with drafting. 

Just couldn’t resist a BoB joke.

There's an occasional Kevin Johnson that busts out hard, and you really can't praise the Will Fuller selection when he can't stay healthy and you'll get nearly nothing past the 2nd round (D'Onta Foreman and Martinas Rankin, we hardly knew ye) but... eh, not something to criticize.

If BoB would see his actual talent as a GM and bring in a HC to handle that job, I'd actually have a ton of faith in what's going on here. 

But... BoB is still calling the shots on the sideline. So, joke away.

12 hours ago, Hukos said:

Being mediocre doesn't mean you don't have heart. Guy could be busting his butt all day long and he's just bad. You can try, and try, and try until you're blue in the face and still be bad at something. We're not in the room with him behind the scenes, so we'll never know. Interpreting a man's heart from what you see on the outside is very dangerous, and generally only done in bad faith. It's not a practice that I endorse at all.

"He has no heart" is a take that's repeated a lot on Falcons twitter and I hate how everyone just accepts it. It's lazy analysis.

It's based on interviews and everything else I've seen. Some guys have that dog in them and want everything they can get. Vic has no heart in him for that. He doesn't love the game. That's where he busted. Can't measure that when drafting guys.

He's had a kinda...Bruce Irvin-like career.  Some real flashes early when used in that same sort of specially tailored role...and a lot of nothing else really.

I think it's an absolutely fascinating debate to be had over who people would take today between Beasley and Dante Fowler.  It was a big thing at the draft, and certainly among Jaguars circles where they had their pick of the two...and i'm not sure we've ever really got much clarity on that.  Beasley had that higher peak, but i think today...most teams would probably take Fowler instead.

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

Maybe Falcons fans could verify this or at least speculate, but I get the feeling this is a part of an overhaul on defense. 

The defense lacks a lot of talent in general, so yeah. I know Scar believes that they're really talented on defense, but I'm extremely skeptical, based on prior performance. I'd rather move on and try to replace a lot of underachievers on defense with some studs.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Joe said:

Maybe Falcons fans could verify this or at least speculate, but I get the feeling this is a part of an overhaul on defense. 

Semi-overhaul. Definitely on the defensive line.

21 hours ago, Hukos said:

The defense lacks a lot of talent in general, so yeah. I know Scar believes that they're really talented on defense, but I'm extremely skeptical, based on prior performance. I'd rather move on and try to replace a lot of underachievers on defense with some studs.

I think the defense has talent. But they need depth at certain spots and an overhaul of the DL. IF I was looking at it from the outside, I would only keep the following guys:

DL: Grady Jarrett, Takk McKinley, John Cominsky, Jacob Tuioti-Mariner, Deadrin Senat

LB: Foye Oluokun, Deion Jones

CB: Desmond Trufant, Kendall Sheffield, Isaiah Oliver, Jordan Miller

S: Keanu Neal (maybe move to LB or to a Big Nickel base with him as a box safety), Ricardo Allen, Damontae Kazee, Sharrod Neasman, Jamal Carter

Honestly, the only spot I'm 100% comfortable with is safety and nickel linebackers/4-3 WILL and MIKE. Needs on defense are plentiful:

1 DT, 1 DT/DE, 2 EDGE along the line at a minimum

SLB starter, 2 depth LB at LB

Depth CB in the secondary that might be able to start when Trufant is gone.

But basically focus on a DL rebuild and then sign a journeyman SLB to work with them.