I would try and bring in running back Melvin Gordon and others

Geno

9 hours ago, Geno said:

When Derrius guice get hurt again and Adrian Peterson get burnout let's see who all change they're their mind about a new running back he is better than who we have right now but only if the price is right

IF... if that happens, we still have Bryce Love and if he too doesn’t produce we’ll draft someone else in 2021. And, I’ll be disappointed but all that means is that I’d take a RB in the first or second round of 2021. I won’t pay a running back near $15 million a year, sorry, I never would if I was a GM.

I mean Mark Ingram is making $5.3 million per year this year, and Melvin Gordon say out bc he didn't get a new contract yet and was making $5.6 mil. His was a dumb holdout, as Le’veon Bell’s turned out to be, he’ll never make that $15 mil back from 2017 and cost himself and the Steelers a chance at another Super Bowl.

Seeing Bell and Gurley regress after getting their big contracts isn't helping running backs get pay days either.

Trent’s now, his made sense. No guaranteed $ and one of the top OT’s in the NFL, didn't trust Bruce Allen or the medical staff/trainer. He was part of the reason they were fired and replaced - which was part of his goal besides more guaranteed $.

Edited by turtle28

While I am not on the side of not spending on RBs, I think the chart posted indicates that a lot of successful teams are spending their money on other positions.  That is not to say RB is undervalued, but teams are drafting them and playing through their contracts and not spending big to keep them.  Considering the punishment that runningbacks take starting at the high school level, this is not a bad strategy.  

However, what I dislike about the NFL is teams having running backs for different situations.  At some point, you start telegraphing your plays based off who is in the huddle.  There should be an immense value on three-down running backs instead of having a 4-5 man depth chart.  That's where I have an issue with where the NFL is now.  

With our current roster, I absolutely support letting Chris Thompson walk.  Adrian Peterson should start the season and see his touches diminish and Derrius Guice and Bryce Love recover from their knee injuries and take more touches from Peterson.  I would love to take a shot on Malcolm Perry to fill out the depth chart and provide a change of pace back, as well as a trick play and emergency QB option, but that's the most that we need to focus on the RB position this off-season.  After this season, you evaluate further based off the play of Guice and Love.  

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You think? I think we can find a replacement for the 10 games he plays, and then maybe we'd get a bonus 6 more. The CT type players are out there. 

Bingo.  We have a drop-off when he doesn't play anyway, so let's get someone who has a clean bill of health.  

Also, RBs are quite plentiful in the draft now, especially with colleges adapting the pro mindset of "more is more" and having different guys for different packages.  

On 2/7/2020 at 7:57 AM, MikeT14 said:

You think? I think we can find a replacement for the 10 games he plays, and then maybe we'd get a bonus 6 more. The CT type players are out there. 

Sure there are guys that can do it but there are few that do it as well as him.

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Bingo.  We have a drop-off when he doesn't play anyway, so let's get someone who has a clean bill of health.  

Also, RBs are quite plentiful in the draft now, especially with colleges adapting the pro mindset of "more is more" and having different guys for different packages.  

If we have a drop off when he doesn’t play... doesn’t that prove my point? It’s not hard to find a RB who can catch - I’ll agree there - but it’s hard to find a RB who catches as well as CT and is dynamic after he gets that ball in open space.

I hope Bryce Love can fill his role, but I’m not sure if he can bc they don’t throw much to the backs at Stanford.