2020 BackDraft Draft

DaWg_LB.

Hotep Good Brothers, Just wanted to check in with my first Mock Offseason/2nd draft. Please give me your opinion's, Critiques, criticisms and suggestions for improvements. 

Release/Cuts

Demetrius Harris, TE - 1.0M cap hit, 1.25M cap savings

Chris Hubbard, OT - 2.4M cap hit, 3.7M cap savings

Eric Kush, OG - 350K cap hit, 2.1M cap savings

Kendall Lamm, OT - 300K cap hit, 2.35M cap savings

Christian Kirksey, OLB - 2.4M cap hit, 7.55M cap savings

Adarius Taylor, OLB - 500K cap hit, 2.4M cap savings

TJ Carrie, CB - 1.8M cap hit, 6.35M cap savings

Morgan Burnett, SS - 1.3M cap hit, 3.4M cap savings

Oliver Vernon- DE 15M cap savings (I'd start Chad Thomas this year, we will be glad we rolled this 15M over)

Don’t Resign:

Joe Schobert (will be too expensive)

Demarious Randle (Juice not worth the Squeez)

Extend:

Greg Robinson OT (2 years)

Rashard Higgins WR (3 years)

Juston Burris SS (1 year)

Eric Murry S/CB (2 years)

Free Agents:

DE Noah Spense

DT Danny Shelton

MLB Joe Walker

OT DJ Humphries (actually spend a little money here)

Draft 2020

1rst Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Height: 6-5. Weight: 320

2nd Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Height: 6-7. Weight: 310.

3rd Jon Greenard, DE, Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 263

3rd Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215

4th Leki Fotu, DT, Utah
Height: 6-5. Weight: 323

6th A.J. Dillon, FB Boston College
Height: 6-0. Weight: 245

7th Matthew Wilkerson, TE, Edward Waters
Height: 6-6. Weight: 270

• Like 1

Looks solid overall. You have my dude Dillon. I don't think he lasts that long, though. He's gonna be really good and can play RB quite well. Maybe a guy who can play guard (Biadasz, Lemieux, Muti, Wilson as guard etc.) in the second would make sense since you signed Humphries to start (?).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Looks solid overall. You have my dude Dillon. I don't think he lasts that long, though. He's gonna be really good and can play RB quite well. Maybe a guy who can play guard (Biadasz, Lemieux, Muti, Wilson as guard etc.) in the second would make sense since you signed Humphries to start (?).

Thank you for the comments my Brother.....I can follow that logic.....my thoughts is that we have DJ Humphries vs. Thomas vs. Jones for the LT and RT, the person who does not start, becomes that swing Tackle, and competes at the right guard spot, so the potential is McCray vs. Wyatt Teller (possible move to OC) vs. Drew Forbes aka Prospect X vs. Greg Robinson (with a year under Callahan...he made Erik Flowers a serviceable OG for the skins). I think under Callahan and Bintonio and Tretter forming the bedrock of the oline, I like getting 3 starters out of Thomas (OT/OG) vs, Jones (OT/OG) vs. Robinson (OT/OG) vs. Teller (OG/C) vs. McCray (OG) vs Forbes (OT/OG) vs. Humpries (OT). 

Fail letting Schobert walk.  Also there is no purpose to let 3 go in the secondary and added 1.  Our safeties would be a wreck and cutting Carrie right now while we have the disposable cap for this year to keep him is a horrible move. Both greedy and ward seem fragile.  Mitchell is a good starter in the event of injury, what what if both go down as they did last year?  Carrie is way above average for a #4 CB.  We won’t find anyone better for that spot on the roster if they have to start in the event of injuries as he had to last year.

Also I get the logic of trying to fix Robinson, but I am ready to call him a bust and just not waste the roster spot on him.  How many coaches have tried to fix him?  How many have failed?

First of all, I love that you showed your work.  Lots of effort and thought in this, but I got a few bones to pick here. 

Bone 1:  Oliver Vernon- DE 15M cap savings (I'd start Chad Thomas this year, we will be glad we rolled this 15M over)

This one is not so much a single bone as it is the backbone of the offseason.  It is the question of the year.  Do we terminate this exceptional, Pro Bowl level player's contract to save some cap space?  Or do we ride it one more year and collect what will likely be a 3rd round compensatory pick when he signs somewhere else?

For me, it's an easy decision to keep him.  He is the most criminally underrated player on the defense, and his injury was the first domino in the defense falling apart as the season progressed (or regressed, amirite?).  The production was definitely not there for him in Wilks' defense, but he is worth the contract for one more year.  

Most of all, I just can't see this front office walking away from a compensatory pick like that.  Not too many opportunities to get a 3rd come along.  They ate $18M for a 2nd round pick, so eating $15M for a 3rd makes a lot of sense.  Not to mention, Vernon is so very much better of a player than Brock Osweiler.

You know who else he's better than?  Chad Thomas.  There is nothing about Chad Thomas starting and Olivier Vernon playing somewhere else that could make anybody happy, except maybe Chad Thomas, Chad Thomas' family, and possibly also fans of Chad Thomas' musical recordings.

This front office has shown you that the cap is something that they will exploit to add talent and assets.  Not something to hoard while releasing talented players.

Bone 2:   Don’t Resign:  Joe Schobert (will be too expensive)

I just can't agree.  Joe has a very particular set of skills.  Skills that he's acquired over a long career.

He is worth a top 5 ILB contract.  What he does would be missed, and there is nobody in the draft, free agency or especially on the team that could replace it.

3 down inside linebackers with elite cover skills don't just walk into your organization every year.  When they do, it's best to not let them walk out.

Bone 3:  Extend:  Greg Robinson OT (2 years)

Veteran minimum, I assume?  If not, that is a peculiar move given all of the other assets you've spent at OT.  

Other than those things, I really liked this offseason.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

First of all, I love that you showed your work.  Lots of effort and thought in this, but I got a few bones to pick here. 

Bone 1:  Oliver Vernon- DE 15M cap savings (I'd start Chad Thomas this year, we will be glad we rolled this 15M over)

This one is not so much a single bone as it is the backbone of the offseason.  It is the question of the year.  Do we terminate this exceptional, Pro Bowl level player's contract to save some cap space?  Or do we ride it one more year and collect what will likely be a 3rd round compensatory pick when he signs somewhere else?

For me, it's an easy decision to keep him.  He is the most criminally underrated player on the defense, and his injury was the first domino in the defense falling apart as the season progressed (or regressed, amirite?).  The production was definitely not there for him in Wilks' defense, but he is worth the contract for one more year.  

Most of all, I just can't see this front office walking away from a compensatory pick like that.  Not too many opportunities to get a 3rd come along.  They ate $18M for a 2nd round pick, so eating $15M for a 3rd makes a lot of sense.  Not to mention, Vernon is so very much better of a player than Brock Osweiler.

You know who else he's better than?  Chad Thomas.  There is nothing about Chad Thomas starting and Olivier Vernon playing somewhere else that could make anybody happy, except maybe Chad Thomas, Chad Thomas' family, and possibly also fans of Chad Thomas' musical recordings.

This front office has shown you that the cap is something that they will exploit to add talent and assets.  Not something to hoard while releasing talented players.

Bone 2:   Don’t Resign:  Joe Schobert (will be too expensive)

I just can't agree.  Joe has a very particular set of skills.  Skills that he's acquired over a long career.

He is worth a top 5 ILB contract.  What he does would be missed, and there is nobody in the draft, free agency or especially on the team that could replace it.

3 down inside linebackers with elite cover skills don't just walk into your organization every year.  When they do, it's best to not let them walk out.

Bone 3:  Extend:  Greg Robinson OT (2 years)

Veteran minimum, I assume?  If not, that is a peculiar move given all of the other assets you've spent at OT.  

Other than those things, I really liked this offseason.

We have to disagree about vernon.  He wasn’t good for the Giants, scheme was blamed.

It was said Wilkes scheme fit his skills like a glove.  He wasn’t good here either, even pre injury.

I saw a lot more from Thomas than I saw from Vernon.  When he leaves here he is not going to break the bank elsewhere.  There is no way he brings a 3rd round comp pick.

I agree with your other 2 points.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

1st Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Height: 6-5. Weight: 320

Love it. I thought he was a little overrated as some can't-miss OT prospect, but he's certainly a good starting LT at the very least.

2nd Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Height: 6-7. Weight: 310.

I've never been a big Josh Jones fan. Big, but sloppy.

3rd Jon Greenard, DE, Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 263

Greenard is a stud. I think he ends up going in the middle of the 1st round in re-drafts. I'm going with a Brandon Graham comparison.

3rd Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215

Ht/Wt/Spd freak that actually has production. I'd be shocked if he were there in round 3 honestly. He'd be a huge upgrade at S for us.

4th Leki Fotu, DT, Utah
Height: 6-5. Weight: 323

Nice. Fotu is a big body that can stop the run and eat blocks. That's what we need in a rotation.

6th A.J. Dillon, FB Boston College
Height: 6-0. Weight: 245

I don't think he's a FB. He's a legitimate RB.

7th Matthew Wilkerson, TE, Edward Waters
Height: 6-6. Weight: 270

Is this you? I've never heard of this dude before, but I like the fact that he's a big TE. I'll bet he could block in-line.

Solid mock. But I'd be very scared of losing Schobert and replacing him with....Joe Walker.

• Like 2

Things I like:

-I like the Greenard and Spence as a bench/situational pass rushing group

-I love the run stopping combo of Shelton and Fotu, this would help out any linebacker combo we have

-I also like having Lamm on Robinson on the roster to have them compete with the rookies, I hate the idea of giving a rookie anything without a battle

Questions:

-We didn't address RG at all

-We need another reliable TE

-We need at least one more reliable CB to compete with or replace Carrie

-Is Joe Walker the replacement for Schobert and Kirksey? Are we just going to thug it out with Taki Taki and Wilson?

-We need a quality back up (Almost starter type at 3 tech)

-We may need an high upside WR with explosion to be a deep threat/KR

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Things I like:

-I like the Greenard and Spence as a bench/situational pass rushing group

-I love the run stopping combo of Shelton and Fotu, this would help out any linebacker combo we have

-I also like having Lamm on Robinson on the roster to have them compete with the rookies, I hate the idea of giving a rookie anything without a battle

Questions:

-We didn't address RG at all

-We need another reliable TE

-We need at least one more reliable CB to compete with or replace Carrie

-Is Joe Walker the replacement for Schobert and Kirksey? Are we just going to thug it out with Taki Taki and Wilson?

-We need a quality back up (Almost starter type at 3 tech)

-We may need an high upside WR with explosion to be a deep threat/KR

First and Foremost thank you to all the Brothers who took time to take a look a this and offer some feedback. @ditchdigger (All Legitimate Bone's to pick....honestly one of the biggest debates in my offseason was the Oliver Vernon question)

But to jump on the question, because what you like, seems to be the EXACT thought process I had on those points.

1. The RG question, a couple answer up, I expressed the thought process on how to get the RG position squared.

2. TE's, I might be in the Minority, but I want to double down on Njoku having a come back year, while still adding a nice prospect (who can block).

3. The CB position, I think should be solved with a Vet, with essentially 3 2nd year guys at CB and FS, I want some veteran presence back there.

4. Walker would be a replacement for Schobert, with WIlson at WillOLB and Taki Taki at SamOLB....but with the feedback I've been getting, I see that this and Vernon are my most hated moves.....I am rethinking them for my next Mock Draft Draft. I may have made a mistake there......

5. With the addition of the kid from Utah and Danny Shelton, that would push Sheldon Richardson back to a pure 3 tech, where he looked dominant at times last year, and that would also Push Ogunjobi to a rotation with Richardson, and myabe give him a chance to get back on track.

• Like 1