Jump to content
Bolts223

How would Mahomes be if he was drafted by the Texans/Bears? How would Watson/Trubisky be if they were drafted by the Chiefs/Texans?

Recommended Posts

Just now, showtime said:

I agree with football being more of a team sport.  I'm just saying that Mahomes is like probably the greatest talent we've ever seen at the QB position.  The guy is Jordan/LeBron-esque in terms of talent.  He's just a much better player than Watson is.  Mahomes can make throws that nobody else in the league can make.

I think it's debatable. People have forgotten just how insane prime Steve Young and Prime Rodgers were.

My point is that even with a Lebron/Jordan-esque talent at QB it's not as impactful as in the NBA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bolts223 said:

I think it's debatable. People have forgotten just how insane prime Steve Young and Prime Rodgers were.

My point is that even with a Lebron/Jordan-esque talent at QB it's not as impactful as in the NBA. 

I was going to say that this guy is as good as prime Rodgers... probably better tbh.  And yeah, a Jordan-esque player is less impactful in the NBA, but because he's playing QB that increases his value by a ton.  We've seen Brady's dominance and this kid is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, showtime said:

I was going to say that this guy is as good as prime Rodgers... probably better tbh.  And yeah, a Jordan-esque player is less impactful in the NBA, but because he's playing QB that increases his value by a ton.  We've seen Brady's dominance and this kid is better.

Thing about Brady that separates Brady is his longevity and amount of rings. But even in the case of Brady - he's been aided by also having the greatest coach of all time (Who also happens to be a great GM as well.)

Also helps that he's got a wife who makes more than he does and has taken discounts which helps the Pats build a great team around him.

We'll see if Mahomes can replicate that - odds are no because what the Patriots have done is so ridiculous in this era of football we'll probably never see it again. Reid is a very good coach (although a cut below Belichick) and the Chiefs are very good at finding talent, particularly at offensive skill positions. Thing is that Reid probably isn't going to last all of Mahomes career. He's 61 and to put this the nicest way possible - someone like him is likely to run into health concerns in the not so distant future unless he seriously makes changes to his lifestyle.

That having been said - Mahomes is more like Steve Young/Aaron Rodgers in that his elite play is dependent on athleticism that is almost not human. That usually doesn't age as well as someone like Brady/PM who is just insanely smart and has unbelievable mastery of the pocket.

Brady also spent the early parts of his career throwing to Troy Brown, David Givens and David Patten.

Mahomes has been throwing to Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill and Sammy Watkins.

Edited by Bolts223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mahomes is who he is. I think he has the ability to elevate any offensive talent to at least some degree. The bigger question is what would the defenses be like?

The thing about this question is, tbh, imo he isnt playing in the SB right now on those teams, he fits perfectly with the coaching staff and roster of the chiefs and that's more about the guys that he has at his disposal than it is about him. He isnt less good on another team those teams just arent as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wwhickok said:

Mahomes is who he is. I think he has the ability to elevate any offensive talent to at least some degree. The bigger question is what would the defenses be like?

The thing about this question is, tbh, imo he isnt playing in the SB right now on those teams, he fits perfectly with the coaching staff and roster of the chiefs and that's more about the guys that he has at his disposal than it is about him. He isnt less good on another team those teams just arent as good.

I think there is a chance he would be with the Bears. Last year the Bears almost certainly win one more game to get a Bye with Mahomes over Trubisky.

That defense with Mahomes playing QB would've been disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bolts223 said:

I think there is a chance he would be with the Bears. Last year the Bears almost certainly win one more game to get a Bye with Mahomes over Trubisky.

That defense with Mahomes playing QB would've been disgusting.

Fair point I can buy that. With the Texans I think it's more of a coaching issue.

To answer the other part of the question. I think Watson gets to the SB with KC. Trubisky...I just dont love him as a QB

Edited by wwhickok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Fair point I can buy that. With the Texans I think it's more of a coaching issue.

To answer the other part of the question. I think Watson gets to the SB with KC. Trubisky...I just dont love him as a QB

Watson absolutely could have won a SB with KC. I also think he could've with the Bears as well. (Same reasons I just gave)

I'll actually go as far to say I think Watson could've been an MVP with the Chiefs. He wouldn't throw for 50 TD's like Mahomes did but 35-40 with a ton of yards through the air and on the ground is not out of the question.

Edited by Bolts223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bolts223 said:

Watson absolutely could have won a SB with KC. I also think he could've with the Bears as well. (Same reasons I just gave)

I'll actually go as far to say I think Watson could've been an MVP with the Chiefs.

I agree completely with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bears receiving weapons still leave quite a bit to be desired. Outside of Allen Robinson, they're all JAGs

I’d take Anthony Miller, that offense has potential 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Watson absolutely could have won a SB with KC. I also think he could've with the Bears as well. (Same reasons I just gave)

I'll actually go as far to say I think Watson could've been an MVP with the Chiefs. He wouldn't throw for 50 TD's like Mahomes did but 35-40 with a ton of yards through the air and on the ground is not out of the question.

I think with the right coaching, Watson would be a good blend of what Mahomes is doing and what Lamar Jackson is doing. He probably wouldn't rush for 1,000 like Jackson, but he'd run enough to where you have to defend it. He wouldn't throw for 5,000 and 50TDs like Mahomes, but 4,500+ with 35-40 TDs is doable.

There is so much potential in Watson to be transcendent, not even great. But, I don't think we'll ever see him get to that point with O'Brien calling the shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ET80 said:

I think with the right coaching, Watson would be a good blend of what Mahomes is doing and what Lamar Jackson is doing. He probably wouldn't rush for 1,000 like Jackson, but he'd run enough to where you have to defend it. He wouldn't throw for 5,000 and 50TDs like Mahomes, but 4,500+ with 35-40 TDs is doable.

There is so much potential in Watson to be transcendent, not even great. But, I don't think we'll ever see him get to that point with O'Brien calling the shots.

Yeah I really sympathize with Texans fans. He is your Norv Turner. Wasting the best years of a great QB and talent like Hopkins, Watt, Mercilus, etc because your franchise has the hots for a coach who is totally incompetent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chiefs can lose Kelce, Hill, Watkins...all in one season and their offense will still be great. Yes Mahomes helps... but oh man some of you... nay, all of you are underrating how amazing that system is. If you think its the exact system Smith was in...... im just here like "watchya talkin bout willis"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the results would change, but the quality of the players wouldn't, IMO. Mahomes is a transcendent kind of talent. Watson is great as well, and has shown that by (somewhat) overcoming BOB. Trubs is the kind of guy that needs to be hidden, and I think that's true regardless. Shuffling them will change some results. I think Reid is more equipped to hide Trubisky's faults than Nagy is. BOB might be even less equipped to handle that than Nagy, though. Watson would be enabled more by Reid than he is by BOB, for sure. And then I think either Watson or Mahomes in Chicago's offense makes it look night and day from what it looks like with Trubisky. Mahomes and Watson may well have had a superbowl win in 2018 in Chicago. Watson might have made the superbowl this year with us (I don't think he would win it with what the 49ers DL was doing to us.)

But I don't think any of that changes the players they are. Mahomes is the best QB in football. Watson has clear potential to be number 2. And Trubisky is a bad investment. I think that's true regardless of shuffling them around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O'Brien has winning seasons with Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, and Osweiler. What’s this about not being able to hide a QB?

Edited by patriotsheatyan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×