• Mahomes vs Baker
    • Mahomes vs Burrow
    • Mahomes vs Watson
    • Mahomes vs Tua
    • Mahomes vs Lawrence
    • Mahomes vs an NFC QB
    • Another combination including Mahomes
    • Another combination NOT including Mahomes
    • There are too many young, great QBs in the league now. Due to parity, there won’t be another Manning/Brady

To be Brady/Manning, they need to be in the same conference unless we get some kind of dueling dynasty scenario where they play in the SB every year.

I think too that there needs to be a good deal of back and forth.

Right now it's probably Watson..but the Texans need to be better. 

I dont see the Browns & Bengals winning their division all that much, so it'll limit the matchups a good deal.

I guess Tua could become that if the Dolphins would ascend past the Patriots...which I'll believe it when it happens.

Lawrence could be the guy if he goes to the AFC..if the Raiders or Chargers sucked it up this year and got 1st pick, having the two of them in division would be huge.

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Just so you know, this is false. QB contracts are still roughly the same % of the cap from the Brady/Manning era. 85% of the cap is still available for the rest of the team.. Just like its been all the way back to the time Steve Young was the highest paid QB.

I dont know why people keep repeating this. 

Its because so few people have a franchise QB in the stable and need to imagine a scenario to comfort themselves.

"If the Packers and Saints could afford a better <insert position here> they would have been in the SB as often as Tom Brady."

History shows there's a pretty decent rotation of teams getting to the super bowl.

The big QB vs QB matchup only happens generationally because only a handful of teams will have the top 2-4 QBs.

Really feel like some people are being too quick to crown LaMar Jackson. Sure the guy had a great season, but I really question whether he'll be able to sustain his level of play. Defenses are going to adapt in the off-season. And of course his playstyle still puts him at injury risk. No, I'm not saying he can't be a good QB, but I don't think he's going to continue playing at the level he did this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Really feel like some people are being too quick to crown LaMar Jackson. Sure the guy had a great season, but I really question whether he'll be able to sustain his level of play. Defenses are going to adapt in the off-season. And of course his playstyle still puts him at injury risk. No, I'm not saying he can't be a good QB, but I don't think he's going to continue playing at the level he did this year.

This is why I still value Watson/Mahomes at a higher value.

Eventually the young grow old and their bodies can't do the same things (happens relatively quickly naturally, let alone when you're getting pounded into the turf by linebackers.) I mean, the point I am making is how much threat is there when Kap/Newton/Vick can't run? We've been down this path before.

Once he demonstrates that he can dominate a season from the pocket, I'll be sold. Not saying "hE cAnT tHrOw" I am just saying the guy hasn't shown that he can have a winning season on the merit of his arm alone (and yes I know Mahomes and Watson scramble, but it's not in the same league. More akin to Russell than Jackson.)

1 hour ago, lolsurebro said:

This is why I still value Watson/Mahomes at a higher value.

Eventually the young grow old and their bodies can't do the same things (happens relatively quickly naturally, let alone when you're getting pounded into the turf by linebackers.) I mean, the point I am making is how much threat is there when Kap/Newton/Vick can't run? We've been down this path before.

Once he demonstrates that he can dominate a season from the pocket, I'll be sold. Not saying "hE cAnT tHrOw" I am just saying the guy hasn't shown that he can have a winning season on the merit of his arm alone (and yes I know Mahomes and Watson scramble, but it's not in the same league. More akin to Russell than Jackson.)

Lamar cut his rush attempts down from being "on extrapolated pace" for 300+ his rookie year to 176. That includes a significant number of kneel downs btw. I expect that trend to continue. Maybe around 140-150 next year. Early career Russell was at 100-120 attempts. Also have to keep the perspective that rookie Wilson was older than Lamar will be for his entire 3rd (yet to happen) season.

Not saying Lamar is an equal for Mahomes, who's proven to be a step ahead of the field. But, Lamar already showed he could be a force the entire conference has to account for.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

**Here we go again meme**

His athleticism saves him from a lot of hits in the pocket and keeps pass rushers from being too aggressive. Injuries are less predictable than directly correlating rushing attempts with odds of injury. He will need to continue to evolve his game and likely lower the runs and slide more, but that's something he can learn to do. He turned 23 a month ago and wasn't some 5 star college QB prospect who grew up with a professional training regiment. He's shown to be very receptive and benefit from a billion dollar organization's coaching and training.

3rd year Russell Wilson had 118 rush attempts. If Lamar gets around that number next year can we start including him in potential career comparisons along with Vick and Kaep?

Lamar/Mahomes actually probably most closely tracks with Manning/Brady as a rivalry at this point, in that Mahomes winning a ring early on his career puts him on the Brady path whereas Lamar is coming off a dominant regular season performance but is dealing with lingering questions around his ability to deliver in the playoffs which puts him squarely in young Peyton territory as far as career narratives go. The analogy isn't perfect of course - most directly in that Mahomes has much gaudier regular season stats than a young Brady ever did so it's not a situation of just 'rings vs. stats' like the argument went with early Manning vs. Brady. But it's definitely a rivalry that is likely to continue/grow over the next several years with some relevant similarities already starting to fall into place. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp