2020 Packer Forum Dynasty League (Discussion/Rules)

Cadmus

Welcome back to YEAR 8 of the PACKER FORUM DYNASTY LEAGUE

2013 Champion: JBurge

2014 Champion: Kal-El

2015 Champion: Kal-El

2016 Champion: JBurge 

2017 Champion: Charisma

2018 Champion: JBurge 

2019 Champion: Cadmus

I wanted to start earlier than usual due to a number of proposed rules changes, etc (not that we'll be getting a ton completed/voted on until the summer, but it's always good to have an open forum to discuss any potential ideas to improve the league).  

Just going to start with a basic roll call. Please let me know your intentions as soon as possible. 

You guys did an awesome job again last year, and I thought it was a fairly smooth transition to Sleeper. I had very few issues with weekly lineups, and it remains one of the easier leagues I've ever managed. Since I promised a $20 Amazon GC to the 2019 winner and I ended up being the owner to dethrone @JBURGE  I've decided to roll that $20 over for the 2020 Champion. 

(At the moment) League Members for 2020 (Please let me know if you don't want to be in the league as soon as reasonably possible): 

@JBURGE @ChaRisMa @CombOver @Lieker @Bieker1 @PandaSquadAlpha @Dwade1001 @chucknorris101 @ajdodge09 @DannyB @squire12 @Cadmus @Packerraymond @KingOfTheNorth

2020 Draft Order (As discussed last summer, and I have provided regular season chart below)

1)    ChuckNorris
2)    DannyB 
3)    PackerRaymond
4)    PandaSquadAlpha
5)    CombOver
6)    KingOfTheNorth 
7)    Squire12
8)    Charisma 
9)    Dwade
10)    Lieker
11)    AJDodge
12)    Bieker 
13)    JBurge 
14)    Cadmus 

d23950d0b73f1c43b34486d4b97495f7_origina

Any Questions/Concerns? 

Let's discuss ideas for 2020. 

Kill Defense. With Fire. its a worthless random crapshoot from a byegone fantasy era. Id we must have something make it IDP.

1/2 PPR.

Bring the league out of the stone age. with the above

TBH, Id love to also bring it to a full dynasty, so early picks arent overvalued and lower picks (only to like 4 rounds iguess then) have some value.

And tbqh if im getting everything i want, superflex is the only way to give QB any actual value. especially so in 14 team. Only way we could make that transition maybe fair would be to set it up for 4 years out or have a QB wipe and supplemental auction/redraft of QBs or something along those lines.

Edit: if you havent done a sleeper transition before, its not a major deal, just click on the transition button, and hit dynasty and then select everyone to come back. the 2019 league will still exist, and be under a drop down on the app or in the 2019 year in the desktop

Edited by chucknorris101

• 2 months later...

Alright, I (hopefully) have a brief reprieve from work over the next 24-36 hours... so let's throw a few ideas around. 

What are we looking to do here in terms of votes? (I'm fine with some of these things being implemented immediately, but others will need to take time 

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh. 

3) Should we kill defense? 

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. 

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. 

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set). 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. 

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 volunteered. I think that's something that at the very least deserves discussion among owners, and potentially a league vote (So PLEASE let me know how you feel). 

Please add any other league business/ideas that I didn't address above. 

Thanks

- Cad

@JBURGE @ChaRisMa @CombOver @Lieker @Bieker1 @PandaSquadAlpha @Dwade1001 @chucknorris101 @ajdodge09 @DannyB @squire12 @Cadmus @Packerraymond @KingOfTheNorth

I don't care about ppr, and that's with having caff. I guess I would vote yes to give some wrs more relevance. 

I would vote to changing how we get pick #1. Personally I don't like the highest optimal points. 

Co commish sure for Chuck. 

Don't really care how we draft. Personally I like slower first few rounds if possible cause last year killed trades. 

I would vote a no to everything else with my strongest no to superflex.

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  YES

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh. YES - QBS HAVE LITTLE TO NO VALUE IN NON SF LEAGUES. IT ALSO MAKES ROOKIE DRAFTS MORE INTERESTING.

3) Should we kill defense? YES YES YES PEOPLE WHO WANT TO KEEP DEFENSE IN FANTASY ARE STILL LIVING IN THE 90s. ITS BASICALLY A RANDOMIZER WITH BONUS EFF YOU TOSSED IN. WHOEVER DRAFTED NE DEF LAST YEAR GOT A BONUS RB1. OTHERWISE ITS A ROULETTE WHEEL. FANTASY IS ABOUT USING YOUR FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE AND RESEARCH TO TRY TO OPTIMIZE TOTAL POINTS WHILE MINIMIZING VARIANCE. KICKERS AND DST IN PRACTICE WORK DIRECTLY OPPOSITE THAT GOAL

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. FAAB # is really irrelevant with sufficient total $s for value delineation, i think this is why 100 is the usual number. but anything over that is really just working out %s

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. 11, REDUCE DRAFT - MAY AS WELL BE NOW

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set). MAX PF IS THE BEST WAY TO PREVENT TANKING OF A SUPERTEAM TO LOAD UP. "OWNERS CHOICE" IS A GARBAGE ARGUMENT WHEN THAT SINGULAR CHOICE MEANS THE PLAYING FIELD IS TILTED FOR THE 13 OTHER TEAMS

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. DEFINITELY SLOW DRAFT 8 HOUR (LONGEST ON SLEEPER) PLUS FOR FIRST TWO ROUNDS. IM PLAYING WITH THE IDEA OF HAVING THE LEAGUE I RUN HAVE 24 HOURS TO PICK IN ROUND 1, THEN MOVING TO 8 HOUR CLOCK AFTER ROUND 1

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 YES

Edited by chucknorris101

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  YES

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh. YES 

3) Should we kill defense? Indifferent. I would change how it’s scored.

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). KEEP THE SAME

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. INCREASE TO 11

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set). MAX PF 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input. SLOW

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 YES

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:58 AM, chucknorris101 said:

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. FAAB # is really irrelevant with sufficient total $s for value delineation, i think this is why 100 is the usual number. but anything over that is really just working out %s

I agree with you completely on FAAB %, but owners have asked so I felt that option should be considered. 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. DEFINITELY SLOW DRAFT 8 HOUR (LONGEST ON SLEEPER) PLUS FOR FIRST TWO ROUNDS. IM PLAYING WITH THE IDEA OF HAVING THE LEAGUE I RUN HAVE 24 HOURS TO PICK IN ROUND 1, THEN MOVING TO 8 HOUR CLOCK AFTER ROUND 1

I'm open to pretty much anything here, as long as the draft is done in a timely matter. I don't want to restrict trade options too much---so if we wanted to continue a "slower" draft (likely 2 hours per pick after Round 3 or something)--- I'm fine with that, but I don't think it's wise to have the draft last nearly a month. 

My thoughts in red. 

Edited by Cadmus

On 4/6/2020 at 11:03 AM, Lieker said:

3) Should we kill defense? Indifferent. I would change how it’s scored.

If we do keep defense, I agree that scoring needs to be changed. I simply kept the scoring settings that have been in place since the beginning of the league, but we really need to update/change them to something more logical. 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input. SLOW

Slow throughout the entire draft? I want to hear your thoughts on this. 

My thoughts in red

Edited by Cadmus

On 4/4/2020 at 8:49 PM, Cadmus said:

Alright, I (hopefully) have a brief reprieve from work over the next 24-36 hours... so let's throw a few ideas around. 

What are we looking to do here in terms of votes? (I'm fine with some of these things being implemented immediately, but others will need to take time 

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  Yes

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh.   No

3) Should we kill defense? Indifferent but I'll say yes

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition.  No

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex.    10 keepers is fine by me

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set).  Yes, my team showed this year max PF is highly flawed

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here.  No, draft is fine as is, rookie only.

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 volunteered. I think that's something that at the very least deserves discussion among owners, and potentially a league vote (So PLEASE let me know how you feel).  Yes

Please add any other league business/ideas that I didn't address above. 

Thanks

- Cad

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set).  Yes, my team showed this year max PF is highly flawed

@Packerraymond I know you sent me a lengthy message on how you wanted to modify draft position. 

Can you present the basics (or you can be more specific, up to you) on how you'd like to modify draft position. 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here.  No, draft is fine as is, rookie only.

I think you misunderstand, we always have unclaimed vet + rookie draft--I just want to know if owners want to slow down the first few rounds to facilitate trades (last year we had pretty much zero trades in draft).