2020 Packer Forum Dynasty League (Discussion/Rules)

Cadmus

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

@Packerraymond I know you sent me a lengthy message on how you wanted to modify draft position. 

Can you present the basics (or you can be more specific, up to you) on how you'd like to modify draft position. 

I think you misunderstand, we always have unclaimed vet + rookie draft--I just want to know if owners want to slow down the first few rounds to facilitate trades (last year we had pretty much zero trades in draft). 

Ah yes, slower draft is fine for first few rounds, trade facilitation is wanted.

I feel like all max PF does is reward teams that had injuries or lacked depth. I don't remember all my research, but I found that every single team in the league had 3 or more players on their roster that scored more points than my #1 player, yet I had higher max PFs than teams for a couple reasons. Mostly because my bench was full of players accumulating points, and many other benches had players that didn't play. When teams rebuild they trade 1 good player for multitudes of picks and players, therefore rebuilding teams have depth and lack stars, random players will go off one week and suck for 2 weeks and so on and so forth. I just think the punishment for tanking (if a top team benches top players to get a better pick) should be removal from the league, and all max PF does is punish rebuilding while rewarding teams that don't have enough depth to fill bye weeks or injuries. That's how I lost the #1 pick straight up, I always had a bench player to score points when I had injuries or bye weeks, other teams didn't.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, Cadmus said:

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR? 

SURE

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh.

I'M OKAY WITH DOING IT THIS YEAR, BUT I ALSO UNDERSTAND IF PEOPLE WANT TO WAIT UNTIL 2021

3) Should we kill defense?

I WON'T LOSE SLEEP IF WE DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT STUPID DEFENSE

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. 

LEAVE IT, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. 

IF WE GO SUPERFLEX, EXPAND THE ROSTER

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set).

GIVE ME FIRST PICK ALL ROUNDS

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. 

I'M GOOD WITH THAT IDEA

On 4/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, Cadmus said:

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  Sure, don't care

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh.  I am a hard no on Superflex. 

3) Should we kill defense?  Sure, don't care

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. Fine the way it is imo

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. Fine the way it is, but if we do Superflex, expand by 1 spot

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set).  I don't like the max PF after seeing it play out. I would be for reverting back to what we were

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. Definitely slow draft for at least the first 2 rounds. This would allow us to increase the time for the live draft too 

Happy @Cadmus ?

The problem with using records for standings is that you add the noise of specific matchups - i dont know if our schedules are based on divisions - but i think the past few years weve had very lopsided divisions, which if affecting schedules would drastically impact the resulting records and draft picks. If you have a good team but end up facing the top 6 teams where someone else with a **** team faces the bottom 6, likely the records are lopsided vs actual team talent. Sure maybe thats part of the actual NFL, but we dont need to be the NFL, i see fantasy as being more a test of strategy and understanding of the game and players, rather than random chance.Sure there's the random chance of week to week scoring, but fantasy is all about optimizing the predictability of the scoring - get the best players who will consistently produce. 

I think the issue might lie with PF as I saw the same thing with a team in the league I run - WR 'hoarding' its up to every team to manage how they like, but I can definitely see how this system might punish hanging onto up and coming WRs potentially before the'breakout'. Looking at Ray's roster i see several WRs who flashed for several weeks+ but didnt stay consistent the whole year - hence the high PF but not the great record. 

Reading into it a bit more https://old.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/comments/e6oo3d/determining_rookie_draft_order_an_analysis_of/ sounds like Max PF might not be the ideal. Id be open to moving to something like the draft lottery, based on the record or max pf. I think generally the max pf system works better, apart from outliers

-I’m all in on moving to a 1/2 PPR

-I also would like to add a SF, but believe that should start in 2021. Gives everyone a whole season to prepare.

-I don’t put a ton of thought into defense, so I guess get rid of it.

-I say keep FAAB as it is.

-Stay at 10 keepers.

-Draft position could be done NBA lottery style for non-playoff teams... increased odds to the teams with worst record.

-I like doing the slow draft for at least the first few rounds.

-I’m good with chuck being co-commish.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:26 PM, Packerraymond said:

Ah yes, slower draft is fine for first few rounds, trade facilitation is wanted.

I feel like all max PF does is reward teams that had injuries or lacked depth. I don't remember all my research, but I found that every single team in the league had 3 or more players on their roster that scored more points than my #1 player, yet I had higher max PFs than teams for a couple reasons. Mostly because my bench was full of players accumulating points, and many other benches had players that didn't play. When teams rebuild they trade 1 good player for multitudes of picks and players, therefore rebuilding teams have depth and lack stars, random players will go off one week and suck for 2 weeks and so on and so forth. I just think the punishment for tanking (if a top team benches top players to get a better pick) should be removal from the league, and all max PF does is punish rebuilding while rewarding teams that don't have enough depth to fill bye weeks or injuries. That's how I lost the #1 pick straight up, I always had a bench player to score points when I had injuries or bye weeks, other teams didn't.

How do you feel about a lottery system? 

8 non-playoff teams are assigned "balls" in reverse order. 

1) 8 balls 

2) 7 

3) 6 

4) 5 

5) 4 

6) 3 

7) 2 

8) 1 

Maybe something like this? 

https://www.draftpicklottery.com/

Edited by Cadmus

On 4/14/2020 at 12:00 PM, chucknorris101 said:

The problem with using records for standings is that you add the noise of specific matchups - i dont know if our schedules are based on divisions - but i think the past few years weve had very lopsided divisions, which if affecting schedules would drastically impact the resulting records and draft picks. If you have a good team but end up facing the top 6 teams where someone else with a **** team faces the bottom 6, likely the records are lopsided vs actual team talent. Sure maybe thats part of the actual NFL, but we dont need to be the NFL, i see fantasy as being more a test of strategy and understanding of the game and players, rather than random chance.Sure there's the random chance of week to week scoring, but fantasy is all about optimizing the predictability of the scoring - get the best players who will consistently produce. 

I think the issue might lie with PF as I saw the same thing with a team in the league I run - WR 'hoarding' its up to every team to manage how they like, but I can definitely see how this system might punish hanging onto up and coming WRs potentially before the'breakout'. Looking at Ray's roster i see several WRs who flashed for several weeks+ but didnt stay consistent the whole year - hence the high PF but not the great record. 

Reading into it a bit more https://old.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/comments/e6oo3d/determining_rookie_draft_order_an_analysis_of/ sounds like Max PF might not be the ideal. Id be open to moving to something like the draft lottery, based on the record or max pf. I think generally the max pf system works better, apart from outliers

I still think we should Max PF as the guideline for assigning lottery odds, but I could be alone in that sentiment. 

6 hours ago, Cadmus said:

How do you feel about a lottery system? 

8 non-playoff teams are assigned "balls" in reverse order. 

1) 8 balls 

2) 7 

3) 6 

4) 5 

5) 4 

6) 3 

7) 2 

8) 1 

Maybe something like this? 

https://www.draftpicklottery.com/

I just did 5 runs for fun, think there needs to be more weight to being bad, as the #2 overall team for "balls" picked 7,7,5,3,2 in my 5 simulations. The #2 worst team picking 7 would be crippling for them and only made the top 3 twice. I'd say match the exact percentage of total balls versus balls received the NBA uses. Also only pick the "top 3" like the NBA does and everyone else stays in their spot. That way the worst #1 could do would be pick #4.

I like the idea though. Just think it needs more weight for bad teams.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:41 AM, Packerraymond said:

I just did 5 runs for fun, think there needs to be more weight to being bad, as the #2 overall team for "balls" picked 7,7,5,3,2 in my 5 simulations. The #2 worst team picking 7 would be crippling for them and only made the top 3 twice. I'd say match the exact percentage of total balls versus balls received the NBA uses. Also only pick the "top 3" like the NBA does and everyone else stays in their spot. That way the worst #1 could do would be pick #4.

I like the idea though. Just think it needs more weight for bad teams.

How would you propose we structure it for the 8 non-playoff teams?

• 4 weeks later...

@ChaRisMa @CombOver  @PandaSquadAlpha @Dwade1001  @ajdodge09 @squire12   @KingOfTheNorth

I believe we are still waiting for your input on questions from Cad on the previous page

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh. 

3) Should we kill defense? 

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. 

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. 

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set). 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. 

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 volunteered. I think that's something that at the very least deserves discussion among owners, and potentially a league vote (So PLEASE let me know how you feel). 

Please add any other league business/ideas that I didn't address above. 

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR?  Sounds good.

2) Superflex? (I'm open to this and I have 2 ideas of how this could be implemented fairly--- 1 being a rather rapid transition and another being a slower, more methodical transition). I want to hear the ideas/opinions from other owners before I present my two approaches (I want to avoid pushing my own concepts as commish before others have a say). My overall idea (and hope) with a transition with superflex would be an attempt to increase parity (I want to push all teams toward the middle, and do my best to reconfigure the league to establish more balance).  It could also help keep the league fresh. Superflex sounds good to me and I am good with a rapid approach.

3) Should we kill defense? Yes!

4) Do we change FAAB #? (I will be upfront here and say that I think we could use another year at our current FAAB # to see if it's appropriate or not). I think most/any issues owners encountered were tied to the initial transition. I say keep the current for 1 more year.

5) Number of keepers? (Increase to 11 to reduce draft or stay the same, and when/how?---this will likely be tied to what type of decision we make with regard to superflex. Increase to 11.

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set). Lottery process sounds good to me for non playoff teams. Playoff teams are set by results of playoff.

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here. I am completely open on this. I like what Cadmus is thinking.

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 volunteered. I think that's something that at the very least deserves discussion among owners, and potentially a league vote (So PLEASE let me know how you feel). Sounds Good

Please add any other league business/ideas that I didn't address above.