2020 Packer Forum Dynasty League (Discussion/Rules)

Cadmus

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Having depth is not a bad thing, how that depth is utilized on a weekly basis matters.  Startable depth is an asset that needs to/can be used.  

If you are looking for depth to be universally beneficial and not hurt you, then best ball is a better league.

I am just not understanding the rational of how Team A has 1 player that scores more points than anyone on Team B, yet Team B might have 3-4 players that score better than Team A's 2nd best scoring player.   Looking at it from a top scorer on each team perspective is where I am getting lost on the rational.   

It's not just one player, it's their best 2,3,4 players were better than mine. I just had guys up and down my lineup that saw snaps every week, versus a lot of other teams that roster #2-#3 RBs in hopes that injuries happen but score around 0 every week. Why should a bad team who wants draft capital be punished because John Ross has a random huge week? I'm fighting for the next guy that tries to rebuild and not myself as it is was it is this year, but I would've never rostered Ross or extra QBs or basically anything worthwhile on my bench if I knew before it was too late that we we're going off max PF. 

This is the first league I'm in that's utilizes it, tanking is easy enough to prevent.

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not just one player, it's their best 2,3,4 players were better than mine. I just had guys up and down my lineup that saw snaps every week, versus a lot of other teams that roster #2-#3 RBs in hopes that injuries happen but score around 0 every week. Why should a bad team who wants draft capital be punished because John Ross has a random huge week? I'm fighting for the next guy that tries to rebuild and not myself as it is was it is this year, but I would've never rostered Ross or extra QBs or basically anything worthwhile on my bench if I knew before it was too late that we we're going off max PF. 

This is the first league I'm in that's utilizes it, tanking is easy enough to prevent.

Most leagues I am in utilize max potential points to determine non-playoff team draft order.   what are some potential rules on what does/does not constitute tanking while at the same time allowing teams to start players that they want to based on a feeling of the match up?   

I feel it becomes a slippery slope that establishing a rule on  starting a player based on weekly projections, or having to justify why an owner might start player X over Player Y.

1) Should we implement 0.5 PPR? Yes

2) Superflex? I would vote no to superflex but I'd be interested to hear the ideas.

3) Should we kill defense? Sure. I'm indifferent, don't mind the Defense but don't need it.

4) Do we change FAAB #? No. I thought the FAAB number was Fine last year.

5) Number of keepers? No. Keepers are fine at 10.

6) How we calculate draft position (in 2021 and beyond, as the current league year is already set).

I'm fine with how we calculate draft position currently. 

7) How we draft (rookie/un-claimed vet) in 2020 (I'm thinking of Round 1 & 2 slow draft, followed by Round 3 as a fast/live draft), but I want to hear everyone's input here.

I think the first two rounds being slow makes sense, maybe even round 3. There was just not enough time during the live draft to trade up/down.

8) I'm also looking to add a co-commish, and @chucknorris101 volunteered. I think that's something that at the very least deserves discussion among owners, and potentially a league vote (So PLEASE let me know how you feel).

I'm okay with @chucknorris101 taking on co-comissioner duties. 

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Most leagues I am in utilize max potential points to determine non-playoff team draft order.   what are some potential rules on what does/does not constitute tanking while at the same time allowing teams to start players that they want to based on a feeling of the match up?   

I feel it becomes a slippery slope that establishing a rule on  starting a player based on weekly projections, or having to justify why an owner might start player X over Player Y.

There wouldn't be a rule like that, there are guys you're never going to take out of a lineup no matter what, the top dogs, your QB1, RB1, WR1, TE1 type guys. From there everyone plays matchups.That is just normal fantasy. Trust me I started playing Parker early in the season because he never producers and ended up being my best player.

Tanking is just the obvious moves anyone can spot to throw a game. If you sit Tyreek Hill for any reason, you're tanking, if you play a guy who doesn't see snaps over any teams starter, that's tanking. It's not meant to be difficult.

20 hours ago, squire12 said:

Having depth is not a bad thing, how that depth is utilized on a weekly basis matters.  Startable depth is an asset that needs to/can be used.  

If you are looking for depth to be universally beneficial and not hurt you, then best ball is a better league.

I am just not understanding the rational of how Team A has 1 player that scores more points than anyone on Team B, yet Team B might have 3-4 players that score better than Team A's 2nd best scoring player.   Looking at it from a top scorer on each team perspective is where I am getting lost on the rational.   

Maybe a blanket statement on depth is too broad. But i saw the exact same situation happen in the league i run - we had a very bad team pick 6th because their bench was loaded with middling options at WR. Maybe its not just depth thats the problem, but having a bunch of WR3s hoping one makes it to WR2 or 1 territory is going to be hurt by maxPF instead of dealing them for picks or consolidating.Maybe its just my philosophy now that ive really dug into dynasty, but im trying to get rid of all WR3 types because theyre bench cloggers typically. some do improve but most just stay boom or bust. and that boom or bust is why the maxpf punishes that team construction.

I also see max PF as the blanket most accepted strategy across leagues.

1 hour ago, chucknorris101 said:

Maybe a blanket statement on depth is too broad. But i saw the exact same situation happen in the league i run - we had a very bad team pick 6th because their bench was loaded with middling options at WR. Maybe its not just depth thats the problem, but having a bunch of WR3s hoping one makes it to WR2 or 1 territory is going to be hurt by maxPF instead of dealing them for picks or consolidating.Maybe its just my philosophy now that ive really dug into dynasty, but im trying to get rid of all WR3 types because theyre bench cloggers typically. some do improve but most just stay boom or bust. and that boom or bust is why the maxpf punishes that team construction.

I also see max PF as the blanket most accepted strategy across leagues.

If you have 5 players that are WR3 types, starting the right collection of them is the issue.  I get that missing on starting the player that has the better game, but that is part of fantasy football in making the correct plays.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@JBURGE @ChaRisMa @CombOver @Lieker @Bieker1 @PandaSquadAlpha @Dwade1001 @chucknorris101 @ajdodge09 @DannyB @squire12 @Cadmus @Packerraymond @KingOfTheNorth

A whole lot of you have no set keepers, and probably havent been paying attention to sleeper. Fix yo notifications. Draft is Saturday, Noon. Slow draft for duration.

Set your keepers by Wednesday the 12th or ill drop your team. Set the player nickname to keep or similar

5 hours ago, chucknorris101 said:

@JBURGE @ChaRisMa @CombOver @Lieker @Bieker1 @PandaSquadAlpha @Dwade1001 @chucknorris101 @ajdodge09 @DannyB @squire12 @Cadmus @Packerraymond @KingOfTheNorth

A whole lot of you have no set keepers, and probably havent been paying attention to sleeper. Fix yo notifications. Draft is Saturday, Noon. Slow draft for duration.

Set your keepers by Wednesday the 12th or ill drop your team. Set the player nickname to keep or similar

I think it would be reasonable to keep 10 players that would make sense rather than drop the whole team lol

12 hours ago, chucknorris101 said:

How do I do this?

1 hour ago, chucknorris101 said:

their desktop interface kinda sucks. It is hidden on your team page - click your team name, itll bring up a popup in the middle of the screen, which should have a 'customize team' link near the top

those tabs do nothing.  clicked every word that is on the pop up.   does not advance to anything  For such a supposedly awesome platform, it sucks at some basic elements