Make FF Great again! Ideas and suggestions to increase forum activity

Webmaster

5 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

It doesn't on reddit from what I've seen, but you may be right.

Whole lot of "EDIT: Downvoted for ______. Smh"

we also don't want to dissuade people from posting unpopular opinions just because they could be downvoted. We're primarily a debate forum. Just because people don't agree, doesn't make it less valuable.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

we also don't want to dissuade people from posting unpopular opinions just because they could be downvoted. We're primarily a debate forum. Just because people don't agree, doesn't make it less valuable.

Maybe we could hold debates between two members on various football-related topics? 

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Good point, it was just a thought I had.

Just now, Desperado82 said:

Maybe we could hold debates between two members on various football-related topics? 

We used to have a debate tournament. Jawn hosted them and then disappeared right as I was about to win the first one I entered. Still salty 7 years later.

We could definitely look into setting that up again though.

Like the debate idea.  On that note we could have some of our TAST game hosts create something for some of the team forums.  For example a Dolphins themed game in the Dolphins forum.  

Also, each week we could pick a slow team forum to boost activity.  Make it an event.  We could host a game, have a debate, start a great gameday topic, etc. Combine that with some kind of invite for old members to return.  Every forum has 10-20 very active members who just disappeared years ago for one reason or another.  I could send them an email with an update on the forum changes and fun activities happening in their team forum that week.  

7 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

On that note we could have some of our TAST game hosts create something for some of the team forums.  For example a Dolphins themed game in the Dolphins forum.

We could definitely do that. Mafia games are really easy to set up if you already have a theme. and then they just take some activity to keep up with as the host.

We could run them thematically where civs are various legends for that team, and the mafia is opposing teams. I've wanted to do this for a while but was told we weren't allowed to move the games out of TAST.

We need to revive the FFMD back to its former glory.  Keep it simple and try to promote new members into participating.  It should just be about having fun, not what's most "realistic".  There are other mocks for that.  The FFMD is why I joined the forum to begin with.  

Hadn't seen this thread, but I found this forum because of the search for Mock Drafts, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Give them more of a limelight. I know you typically don't like to reference other Sports fandom sites but let me use this one as an example: http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php

That's an easy way to look at a whole plethora of Mock Drafts all at once. Perhaps put a direct link on the front page to the Mock Drafts forum to sort of emulate that page I've linked (but rather than various websites, the mocks from our users).

One additional thing I might consider bringing to the table of suggestions. One of the rules being the use of "colorful language" I'll call it. To what degree is that being enforced? I feel like as long as it isn't being directed at another member then should be ok to use. Now a question that does come to mind (and I'm not expecting you to answer it): How do the advertisers feel about said language? If the foul language rule is meant to make the forum a more family friendly place and safe for everyone, then I think it might be leading away some of your target audience. (Mostly people who have already heard such language in middle school to adulthood). I understand the need to not put up with toxicity, but foul language doesn't necessarily equate to bad blood between people. Sometimes while watching the game many people just want to type "That was [effing] stupid." But refrain from doing so because it's against the rules. Over time may feel that footballsfuture is too.... 'strict' I suppose is the word I am looking for. Sorry if this came off in a convoluted fashion. I think it's something to think about. 

Some more thoughts about the discipline system. I've had a month ban in the past, and without external connections to my fellow Eagles posters I'd never have known why I couldn't access the forum. I think it'd be wise for either you or one of your Global moderators to convey in some fashion whether it be via E-Mail or an internal notification here on the new forum when trying to access if they have been banned, why they've been banned, for how long they've been banned, and how to go about returning to good standing. I also believe that when a user receives a warning that they need to be personally notified of it, rather than just a post in the thread where it occurred stating so. I would hope that with this new forum comes a modern discipline system with Warning Notifications being sent directly to users upon the warning being issued and archived in a place outside of any forum.

57 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Looooving the debate ideas. We could get a list of knowledgeable debaters going, signups too. Maybe a nomination system.

Divisional rival debates could be really great.

From what I remember, there was some really high quality posting during the debates Jawn hosted. Would definitely love to see them brought back.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I also believe that when a user receives a warning that they need to be personally notified of it, rather than just a post in the thread where it occurred stating so. I would hope that with this new forum comes a modern discipline system with Warning Notifications being sent directly to users upon the warning being issued and archived in a place outside of any forum.

I think this will be made easier now. When handing out a warning, all a mod has to do is @Danger and at the very least they'll have a notification that alerts them.

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Hadn't seen this thread, but I found this forum because of the search for Mock Drafts, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Give them more of a limelight. I know you typically don't like to reference other Sports fandom sites but let me use this one as an example: http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php

That's an easy way to look at a whole plethora of Mock Drafts all at once. Perhaps put a direct link on the front page to the Mock Drafts forum to sort of emulate that page I've linked (but rather than various websites, the mocks from our users).

If there's any website that FF should siphon traffic from, it's walterfootball. 

You could build a directory (or, use an official @FootballsFuture twitter account) to promote high quality posts like @CWood21's draft thread or Goldfishwars rankings.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You could build a directory (or, use an official @FootballsFuture twitter account) to promote high quality posts like @CWood21's draft thread or Goldfishwars rankings.

I actually really like this idea. Get official Social Media outlets going, have trusted moderators or members handle the matter if you're too busy for it Webmaster. 

One more thing I can suggest (not necessarily in good conscience) is something on the site that says "Please consider whitelisting footballsfuture.com on your AdBlocker", but definitely not some forced thing. 

EDIT: This might be advertiser friendly, but it's not really user friendly, so I'm going to retract this and the real goal is to build a userbase back up.

Archived