Make FF Great again! Ideas and suggestions to increase forum activity

Webmaster

As far as "social media integration", I don't see the benefit of linking to places like Facebook, Reddit, etc. But Twitter football communities always eagerly share good content from other sites, and we could be one. Either way, looking forward to any new ideas.

Never understood sites that allow contrarian or "unpopular" opinions to get down-voted into oblivion. It just results in everyone walking on eggshells trying to say the right things instead of expressing themselves freely, even if their opinion goes against the grain. I definitely think FF has a lot to offer still in this day and age. Twitter would be one way to gain exposure.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

As far as "social media integration", I don't see the benefit of linking to places like Facebook, Reddit, etc. But Twitter football communities always eagerly share good content from other sites, and we could be one. Either way, looking forward to any new ideas.

Agreed. Twitter is the one with the most, well any benefit to this site. 

1 minute ago, Phire said:

Never understood sites that allow contrarian or "unpopular" opinions to get down-voted into oblivion. It just results in everyone walking on eggshells trying to say the right things instead of expressing themselves freely, even if their opinion goes against the grain. I definitely think FF has a lot to offer still in this day and age. Twitter would be one way to gain exposure.

Agreed, which is why I never enjoyed reddit. It also hurts my eyes.

So to go more in-depth with the twitter thing, we should get one.  I believe we need these new forums to leave beta first, of course, get some more good content into the forums, along with the blog feature. That will be the end-goal so to speak once we have a good amount of followers. 

So how to build followers and in-turn add new members to the forums?

The first thing we need to do is get everyone here to follow our twitter account. RT anytime it tweets out to your followers already. This gets more exposure to people that already follow us on twitter that is interested in sports and in-turn the teams we follow (which should help the team forums). Also, replying to the big news tweets from the 'big dogs' of NFL writers. Not saying spam, but reply with maybe the thoughts of the most 'liked' post about that subject.  Along with team forum mods replying to local beat writers about big news with your comments that you've posted on the forum.  

Those are off the top of my head, but I've learned a lot about how to gain engagements on twitter for brands over the last year. Just these simple things can really help get the FF brand out there via twitter which would increase traffic to the site. Plus, TBH once you get people here, chances are they will stay with all the different forums and the community we have in place. 

I think the site should be on a 5-6 month timeframe from getting out of beta, and getting the blogs, site all setup. So that by around the first of the year, when fans start looking towards 'next year' is the perfect time to really make a blitz to bring in a ton of new members. 

EDIT: Saw someone post about having personal information on twitter as a reason not to do this, but you shouldn't have personal information on twitter, period. If you do, change your @ and get rid of personal information tweets or whatever and make a personal twitter. 

4 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Based on what I'm reading here, breaking out of the habit of only posting in huge general topics is a must.   I'll keep preaching this to the mods, you vets keep reminding the members too.

More games, badges, trophies, and trying to revive the FFMD are all things we need to do.

Improving the content on the main site is the next priority after we get through the transition to the new forum.  I'll somehow promote the great content on the forum to do this.  I know this software allows for member blogs and some other features which we can add to use member content on the non-forum pages.  

Regarding twitter and social media integration.  I'll need to do more research on how to best implement it, but something will be done.

Adding subforums could be an option, if the activity is there.  Right now I can't think of forum that has so much activity that it would need a subforum.  Baseball isn't there yet.   

One thing I would add to this list is keeping up the continued focus on feedback and forum improvement. like what has been going on here. A new user going through a thread like this would feel a real sense of community.

22 minutes ago, Danger said:

@Webmaster I can't recall if you'd said you had a timetable in mind for the Beta period.

This was in the original announcement on the old forum.  

FAQ: When will the forum transition over to the new software platform? 
We are currently in the alpha stages of testing the platform. We are moving to beta testing this week. If the beta test goes well the transition should happen in about a month. The goal is to have everything complete before the NFL season starts. 

Sorry, I'm not picking on you @Danger this is happening multiple times all over the forum.  Even with mods.  With the @mention feature members aren't reading and just saying hey @Webmaster with every question or every idea.   I'm answering the same question over and over again.  My notification bar dings like I just hit the jackpot.  I may have to turn off my notifications for mentions when we go live.  I don't want to, but I'm not sure I have a choice.  

19 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

This was in the original announcement on the old forum.  

FAQ: When will the forum transition over to the new software platform? 
We are currently in the alpha stages of testing the platform. We are moving to beta testing this week. If the beta test goes well the transition should happen in about a month. The goal is to have everything complete before the NFL season starts. 

Sorry, I'm not picking on you @Danger this is happening multiple times all over the forum.  Even with mods.  With the @mention feature members aren't reading and just saying hey @Webmaster with every question or every idea.   I'm answering the same question over and over again.  My notification bar dings like I just hit the jackpot.  I may have to turn off my notifications for mentions when we go live.  I don't want to, but I'm not sure I have a choice.  

I understand how crazy that must be. I think after the initial month or so after it goes live it will be relatively calm.

I'm not sure whether a mobile app is necessary, but I do think an official FootballsFuture Twitter/Facebook account is a no brainer. With Twitter especially, it is so easy to promote content. Follow a bunch of the draft twitter guys then @ them with a link to top discussions in the draft forum. You could also tweet out links to some of the better mock drafts, I know those are what got me here in the first place. I wanted to find mock drafts, but the top mock draft sites only update theirs every so often. I was searching for a database of mock drafts, which led to me finding the NFL mock draft forum. Having tons of unique mock drafts with new ones being made daily (near draft time) is a huge selling point. Hell, every year @Desperado82 posts mock drafts in the mock draft forum that are better than anything you can find anywhere else. He posted a 7-round mock draft in May this year. You can't find that anywhere else. Walterfootball only has 2 rounds, fox sports only has 2 rounds, draftsite finally has 3 rounds, and most other major sites only have one round (and that's with their updates in July). You can even split that into 33 different pieces of content if you want. A 7 round mock draft for each individual team (with a link to each team forum) and then finally the whole thing put together. 

18 hours ago, cddolphin said:
18 hours ago, Phire said:

Agreed, which is why I never enjoyed reddit. It also hurts my eyes.

To be fair, you are not supposed to downvote unpopular opinions on Reddit if they are relevant to the discussion.

How about a team forum of the month or week?

Encourage members to go into that team forum and get to know the posters and the team. I'm sure Stallyns would like some company in the Colts forum. I've wanted to go into team forums before to ask questions but then remember that there is no activity there and I'd be waiting for a few days to get my answer.

So, here's a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

If we're looking to recruit new members to FF, should we try and recruit them to the "old" forum now, and let them get their feet wet there, or do we hold on until the new site is out of beta, and recruit them to that one?

Archived