Make FF Great again! Ideas and suggestions to increase forum activity

Webmaster

Once you guys are done getting used to the features, please get out and start posting in the football forums.  I know it is the off-season, but we need to boost activity in the team forums and I'd like members to get back in the habit of posting in team forums.  

Also, let's watch out for these huge general topics in all the forums.  They have become popular with the very active veteran members, but they are killing the activity in all the forums.   The average member doesn't have time to follow 100 pages of WAYTA or 100 pages of 'Off-season' talk.  They ignore these topics and when they don't find any other interesting active topics in the forums, they leave.  I'm hoping the new forum update will bring back the forum activity, but if all we do is post in a handful of huge general topics,  the average member won't return.   We need new and interesting football topics with descriptive subjects to draw in the average member and get them engaged and interested in the forum again.  New features are only useful if there is interesting content to discuss and debate.

Edit to add - Just split this out of WAYTA. Title stolen from @iPwn.

15 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

Once you guys are done getting used to the features, please get out and start posting in the football forums.  I know it is the off-season, but we need to boost activity in the team forums and I'd like members to get back in the habit of posting in team forums.

It's going to be a little hard drumming up posts in the team-specific forums until minicamp begins in a week or two, especially for teams like Miami who have a small user base. But once it does, the ability to embed tweets and youtube videos should help things along quite a bit, I know several Miami posters linked a lot of tweets and whatnot in recent years, and merging the two websites somewhat should be a boon.

Have you considered the ability to link anonymous (no personal information) twitter accounts with FF accounts, maybe with some rules and caveats? I know most of us like the long-form style posting and discussion we get here, so I can't imagine it siphoning off users or anything like that. If anything, a new user finding out about FF through "NFL Twitter" may help the site grow.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

It's going to be a little hard drumming up posts in the team-specific forums until minicamp begins in a week or two, especially for teams like Miami who have a small user base. But once it does, the ability to embed tweets and youtube videos should help things along quite a bit, I know several Miami posters linked a lot of tweets and whatnot in recent years, and merging the two websites somewhat should be a boon.

Have you considered the ability to link anonymous (no personal information) twitter accounts with FF accounts, maybe with some rules and caveats? I know most of us like the long-form style posting and discussion we get here, so I can't imagine it siphoning off users or anything like that. If anything, a new user finding out about FF through "NFL Twitter" may help the site grow.

To add on to this, here are a few ideas for new threads:

With the tweets, one way to try and use the site's features for more content would be highlight threads. So each team forum could have a pre gameday thread, gameday thread, highlight thread, and post gameday thread.

NFL Gen could have a highlight thread each bracket of games (Thursday, noon CT, 3:00, etc.), and you could even try something like a "Footballsfuture Play of the Week" or something like that where people vote.

It might be out of the scope of the rules, but the Reddit "Trash Talk" threads on the sports subs are generally done in good faith and can be pretty hilarious from time to time. That might be another way - you can't break the site rules but you get a little more leeway as long as the post is clearly just joking around and not an attack. Tough to mod though so I would see why people wouldn't want to do it.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

It's going to be a little hard drumming up posts in the team-specific forums until minicamp begins in a week or two, especially for teams like Miami who have a small user base.

Too many veteran members have stopped posting in the team forums because of a lack of activity, but the only way to get more activity is for the veteran members to start posting in there.  I'm hoping during the beta I can convince some of the active members to get in the habit of posting in their team forums more.   

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

NFL Gen could have a highlight thread each bracket of games (Thursday, noon CT, 3:00, etc.), and you could even try something like a "Footballsfuture Play of the Week" or something like that where people vote.

Good idea.  A while ago we would have a game of the week highlighted in NFL general to direct members to the team forums.

Just now, iPwn said:

What would you think of having forums "host" their home games for the away fan base?

Might work in some forums.  Would be a disaster in others.   Probably most members would just post where they want anyway.   Right now some team forums are super active on game days and others are dead with their fans posting in NFL general.  

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To add on to this, here are a few ideas for new threads:

With the tweets, one way to try and use the site's features for more content would be highlight threads. So each team forum could have a pre gameday thread, gameday thread, highlight thread, and post gameday thread.

It might be out of the scope of the rules, but the Reddit "Trash Talk" threads on the sports subs are generally done in good faith and can be pretty hilarious from time to time. That might be another way - you can't break the site rules but you get a little more leeway as long as the post is clearly just joking around and not an attack. Tough to mod though so I would see why people wouldn't want to do it.

Agree with this, the roast threads this off-season were pretty good, I even bookmarked the Saints one.

2 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Agree with this, the roast threads this off-season were pretty good, I even bookmarked the Saints one.

At the same time, I could see it being a nightmare to moderate, because unlike Reddit, FF isn't set up to make bad content go away with votes.

One way to mitigate that might be a "best of" feature where you take posts that got a lot of likes and feature them. There would be some quality content there (the waldo stuff is probably the shining example) but there would also be some burns on team threads.

12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

What would you think of having forums "host" their home games for the away fan base?

I really like this idea. Might lead to some fights, but I definitely think differing opinions spur activity.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At the same time, I could see it being a nightmare to moderate, because unlike Reddit, FF isn't set up to make bad content go away with votes.

One way to mitigate that might be a "best of" feature where you take posts that got a lot of likes and feature them. There would be some quality content there (the waldo stuff is probably the shining example) but there would also be some burns on team threads.

Maybe we could add a dislike button as well.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes.  I just can't see this working on here.   It would also bleed into other topics and just cause more problems. 

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:
17 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I really like this idea. Might lead to some fights, but I definitely think differing opinions spur activity.

I think we could only do it for the slow forums and non-rival games.  Which would probably be fine, since it's the slow forums we are looking to boost.   

Archived