Make FF Great again! Ideas and suggestions to increase forum activity

Webmaster

26 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

But today I look at the baseball forum and there isn't even a topic on the Harper injury.  I guess that discussion is buried in one of the big general topics in there.  Who knows.  I don't frequent the baseball forum, but I sure would read a topic about the Harper injury and see what was going on.   However, I'm not going to go search for it and neither will most casual members.  

Another thing people have to keep in mind is that a lot of users aren’t necessarily as connected to outside sources as you might be. A lot of people don’t have a Twitter and don’t watch ESPN nightly, so they don’t even know some things are happening. They check the forum to get their news and discuss it, but they don’t necessarily have the time to go digging through 10 pages of discussion to see what’s the latest news either.

General discussion threads are good for minor notes and minor things. No one really cares to discuss if John Smith had a highlight interception in practice, or Jim Smith went 3/4 with a home run after a long slump. They’re nice things to update the true die hards on that will read through big *** threads to find out every nugget they can about a team or sport. But you shouldn’t expect every member to wade through them to find the content the general public would care about. 

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Another thing people have to keep in mind is that a lot of users aren’t necessarily as connected to outside sources as you might be. A lot of people don’t have a Twitter and don’t watch ESPN nightly, so they don’t even know some things are happening. They check the forum to get their news and discuss it, but they don’t necessarily have the time to go digging through 10 pages of discussion to see what’s the latest news either.

Exactly.   I had a link up on the homepage to the Elliot suspension news a few minutes after it broke and the forum activity blew up.   If that had been buried in a 'News' topic few people would have seen.  

Archived