Home Buying Help Thread

TOUCAN

On 10/13/2020 at 12:39 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Reached out to a loan officer to see what rate I could get from on the market compared with going with the builder's originator, and I was told I'd get 2.75%. Rates are unbelievable right now.

I got a 15 at 2.62% back in July and now I could refinance to a 2.5% if I wanted to. It's crazy! That said, what it would cost me in closing costs to get that rate and then factoring in my monthly savings isn't worth it.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I got a 15 at 2.62% back in July and now I could refinance to a 2.5% if I wanted to. It's crazy! That said, what it would cost me in closing costs to get that rate and then factoring in my monthly savings isn't worth it.

Geez.  I thought my 3.375 was low.  That's ridiculous.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theJ said:

Geez.  I thought my 3.375 was low.  That's ridiculous.

We had the option of flexing that rate and rolling the dice that it could go lower (which it did), but I opted for the locked in and guaranteed fixed rate at 2.625% and felt like I just won the lottery! :)

Just now, Counselor said:

First time home buyer have a credit score in the 800’s. What kind of loan should I try and go after?

I don't know all the specifics, but FHA has a limit based on which state (or county?) the home is in, for Arizona it was $331k, which means any home value over that, you would have to pay yourself.

Conventional loan doesn't have that limit, and right now rates are amazing. My own credit score is in the low 700's, and I got 2.75% this week with 5% down. The upcoming election could shake things up, I lucked out with my closing at the end of November so I will lock my rate this month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

I don't know all the specifics, but FHA has a limit based on which state (or county?) the home is in, for Arizona it was $331k, which means any home value over that, you would have to pay yourself.

Conventional loan doesn't have that limit, and right now rates are amazing. My own credit score is in the low 700's, and I got 2.75% this week with 5% down. The upcoming election could shake things up, I lucked out with my closing at the end of November so I will lock my rate this month.

Good info thank you. What lender do you suggest? 

21 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Good info thank you. What lender do you suggest? 

Hard to say. I got my initial pre-qualification late last year with the company I work for, my builder (since I went the new build route) required I get pre-qualified with their in-house originator at the beginning of this year. I probably would have ultimately gone with the builder's mortgage but I was referred to a guy who does a lot of loan origination, and he was able to get me the deal that I'm going with. He's more specialized for Arizona though, so I'd recommend talking to coworkers / friends / family and see if there's any recommendations.

• Like 1

I will say this though - I probably would stay away from any of those online mortgage originators. I tried Quicken Loans alongside my company during the pre-qual portion, and Quicken came in much lower on my limit. This is in large part because I didn't have as lengthy of an established history of my current income, but I think it highlights that those 'quick' online mortgages are not going to get the best 'personal' fit for you.

17 hours ago, Counselor said:

First time home buyer have a credit score in the 800’s. What kind of loan should I try and go after?

If you can work a conventional with 20% down, I'd recommend this route. You're more appealing to a seller and you avoid PMI on the mortgage. Typically, if you can get a loan from a credit union of some kind, their rates are very competitive and often lower.

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If you can work a conventional with 20% down, I'd recommend this route. You're more appealing to a seller and you avoid PMI on the mortgage. Typically, if you can get a loan from a credit union of some kind, their rates are very competitive and often lower.

20% in California I would have to sell my kidney