Packers Regression

skibrett15

15 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think a strong argument can be made that with some reasonable improvements at WR, IDL, and ILB, the Packers are a top three team next year (GB, SF, and Seattle). The draft is set up to stock the WR position, and FA has some good IDL. I think we win the NFC North again. Whether we can get by SF remains to be seen, but Jimmy G didn't look all that good in the Super Bowl. Wilson is probably the best QB of the three, but I would take Rodgers over Jimmy G. 

I'm not so sure SF gets out of it's own division next year.  Seattle has their number, Arizona and Rams tougher next year too.  Jimmy G is who he is and SF will lose players off their current roster too.

11 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

We will get the talent undoubtedly to look better on paper. I don't see the offense getting any worse in 2020, 2nd year in Lafleurs scheme, and a couple new weapons, we should be a lot better. Of course Rodgers needs to be more accurate and trust his receivers more, but it's just really hard for me to see the Offense get worse, even with Rodgers decline. If he starts to throw more picks, yes we will regress immensely on offense. But for all the grief Rodgers has gotten over the past 2 seasons, he still takes care of the ball well like he's always has. Guy needs to work on his accuracy, because he still makes pretty good reads, he just misses wide open guys. 

Defense, we just need a consistent defense and I think we're back in the NFCCG at the very least. We're probably gonna get a new DL to sure up the Front 7, and get some other depth pieces. What kind of Pettine are we going to get though? An aggressive style Pettine we had year 1, or a soft coverage rush 4 year 2 Pettine. I'd like him to get more aggressive again. I don't know what we're going to do at ILB, but at least get a decent guy there. Cheaper than Blake.

Basically I don't think we are going to be starved of talent that makes us regress. Just comes down to the health and execution of our team on both sides of the ball. 

Is the first part still true?

Dude's taking a ton of sacks on not recognizing blitzes and passing up open receivers to say he's still making pretty good reads.

13 hours ago, Redt said:

The defense needs to get stronger up the middle with IDL and ILB upgrades. We were owned in the middle of the field this year.  I think we can all agree that Blake was adequate, but never had the ability to be a tone setting difference maker. I think year two on the offensive side of the ball will be more consistent and proficient, hopefully with the addition of an explosive slot player. That said, I do not expect 13-3 again, but I will be happy to win the North and have a shot.

You get we're very likely downgrading at ILB this year?

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is the first part still true?

Dude's taking a ton of sacks on not recognizing blitzes and passing up open receivers to say he's still making pretty good reads.

Or, maybe in it's first of year of new offense he still isn't 100% sure/confident in it.  Or, maybe the rag tag group of receivers aren't where they're supposed to be.  Or, maybe it's a combo of all? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Or, maybe in it's first of year of new offense he still isn't 100% sure/confident in it.  Or, maybe the rag tag group of receivers aren't where they're supposed to be.  Or, maybe it's a combo of all? 

The excuses about the receivers can't be flying after personally killing anywhere from 4/6 to 6/6 first half drives in a playoff game. 

Not sure we should be giving him a pass on scheme either after:

1. He was responsible for getting the old scheme taken out.

2. He had 17 previous games to ease into the system. 

3. He's doing the same stupid **** to kill drives that he was doing in the last scheme.

• Like 2

Maybe it is just me, but I think there is a high probability that MLF doesn't win 14 games in a season again while in GB.

But...that doesn't mean he won't win a Super Bowl with us.

I think the team can be better, but get fewer wins.  We were pretty fortunate this past year.  Getting 13 wins is really tough to do.  I can see GB winning 10-11 games and being a better team overall.  

(And I hope that first line doesn't age well on this site.)

• Like 1

Odds greatly favor a "regression" next season - simply because winning 13 regular season games doesnt happen with regularity.

Although things vary from season to season - we're in a division where the majority of the organizations are relatively stable and above average or "better than competent." Both MN and CHI have good spreads of overall talent. Like any team, they've got a chink in the armor here there - just like ours. DET might be the outlier to that equation - but they're hitting their second off season of picking from the rarefied air section of the draft - so we've gotta expect their enhanced talent will show through in some way.

The competition's gonna be there year in year out - but if we can maintain our divisional dominance (it all starts at the division level) - thats six W's right there with ten games left. 50/50 gets us to 11 - which is "regression" but not bad. Still a good year. 60/40 gets us 12.

Talent.
Health.
Breaks.

The basic food groups of any winning season.

Is getting fewer wins = regression if the team is playing better?  We were lucky this year with injuries and we faced KC without Mahomes are a couple of reasons why we won 13 regular season games.  If we can improve our receiving corps and shore up the middle of the defense we will be better and will win the NFCN even if have fewer overall wins in 2020.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The excuses about the receivers can't be flying after personally killing anywhere from 4/6 to 6/6 first half drives in a playoff game. 

Not sure we should be giving him a pass on scheme either after:

1. He was responsible for getting the old scheme taken out.

2. He had 17 previous games to ease into the system. 

3. He's doing the same stupid **** to kill drives that he was doing in the last scheme.

Again, 17 games isn't much time to get comfortable in any scheme ... period.  He wasn't responsible for getting the old scheme out - McCarthy did that to himself staying with outdated offensive play calling.  Think you'll see uptick in offense next year with some new weapons and more comfort level.   

45 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Again, 17 games isn't much time to get comfortable in any scheme ... period.  He wasn't responsible for getting the old scheme out - McCarthy did that to himself staying with outdated offensive play calling.  Think you'll see uptick in offense next year with some new weapons and more comfort level.   

Think you'll see about the same offensive production with worse injury luck, and a further regression of our old QB cancelling out any upgrades to the offensive weapons and comfort in the system. 

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Think you'll see about the same offensive production with worse injury luck, and a further regression of our old QB cancelling out any upgrades to the offensive weapons and comfort in the system. 

You mean cancelling out the play that's been called and inserting a chunk yardage play in which he either overthrows the receiver, gets sacked, or the receiver drops it...

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are Rodgers’ troubles in 2019 the same kind that he had in 2015? Or do you see him failing in different ways?

So another question to any cap guys and gals out there... I keep hearing that Mahomes future deal could be around 40mil a year. That Dak wants around 39, and the Boys are only willing to go to around 33. Now the reason I bring this up is because the debate of being able to win a champion ship with a QB contract eating a major portion of cap hasn't been done. I know Aaron created some money for this year, but next year it's right back up there. Sorry, I can't remember the numbers. Finally the point... The 2020 cap is projected to go up by 8 mil, and then in two years we will have a new CBA agreement. So basically, short story long, If the cap goes up, and they make a deal to increase it even more does a 30-40 mil deal a year ever become functional for a team? Just curious because I don't see this trend going away.