Packers Regression

skibrett15

11 minutes ago, Redt said:

You get that Blake was limited athletically and you could be incorrect.

Limited athletically compared to whom?

Blake Martinez has a better 40 time, 3 cone time, and 20 shuttle than both Chiefs starting ILBs. He would easily have been the second most athletic ILB playing in the Superbowl behind only Warner. 

What the **** happened in the 4 years since the draft that Martinez went from a good athlete to useless stiff in the minds of Packer fans?

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Blake Martinez has a better 40 time, 3 cone time, and 20 shuttle than both Chiefs starting ILBs. He would easily have been the second most athletic ILB playing in the Superbowl behind only Warner. 

What the **** happened in the 4 years since the draft that Martinez went from a good athlete to useless stiff in the minds of Packer fans?

I know you like to use comparisons that fit your argument, but today's game is shifting to ILB with exceptional athleticism that Blake does not posses. Who is the top rated ILB in the 2020 draft, I think he might just be a little more athletic than Blake.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You think Blake the LB on the football field plays to those shorts numbers he put up? I personally do not.

14 minutes ago, Redt said:

I know you like to use comparisons that fit your argument, but today's game is shifting to ILB with exceptional athleticism that Blake does not posses. Who is the top rated ILB in the 2020 draft, I think he might just be a little more athletic than Blake.

Have you looked at the ILBs in the conference championship games?

Blake Martinez: rookie contract (4th rounder)

BJ Goodson: vet minimum contract

Fred Warner: rookie contract (3rd rounder)

Dre Greenlaw: rookie contract (5th rounder)

Damien Wilson: 2/5.75 contract

Anthony Hitches: 5/45 contract

Rashan Evans: rookie contract (1st rounder)

Jaylon Brown: rookie contract (5th rounder)

+++

7/8 are super cheap.

6/8 were minimal investments.

The key to ILB is about finding adequate players that cost nothing. That's why Martinez needs to go. That doesn't make Martinez a bad player.

I don't give a **** what the highest ranked player is. We better not be taking a damn ILB in the first round, much less with Lowry and Lancaster starting in front of him.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is the first part still true?

Dude's taking a ton of sacks on not recognizing blitzes and passing up open receivers to say he's still making pretty good reads.

I would say it's not as bad as his accuracy issues. I'll give you he isnt as good against the blitz as he once was. But it felt like that last Lions game we almost lost was a good example, he made good reads that game but missed a crap ton of open guys as well.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

How did Martinez chatter morph over to the Regression thread?  He's getting to be like AR....you find discussions about him everywhere.

In any case....I agree with this....

42 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't give a **** what the highest ranked player is. We better not be taking a damn ILB in the first round, much less with Lowry and Lancaster starting in front of him.

Except (and unless) we draft one of those SuperDuper ILB's in the first and follow up with a stud DL to pair with our stud FA DL.

Then our "core" will be intact :)

this team was the healthiest team in the NFL (no source here, just my feel for what happened).

It still won way too many games than it should have.

So, my question to the forum is... can this team win the SB as a wild card?  Can it win as a 3 or 4 seed?  Or does it need to have a bye?

If you answer is that the team needs to have a bye to win the SB, the numbers suggest that this team will win 9 or 10 games next year and maybe squeak into the playoffs.

My personal thoughts is that a bye is the best way to win the SB because while you might come out a bit slow in the divisional round, you are often on much better footing than a non-bye team come the NFC championship. 

This team has a lot to overcome and needs to take a significant leap just to win 11 or 12 games.  Keeping the status quo and "running back this year" will in all likelihood not end with a playoff bye.  Schedule will be tougher, team will be more injured.

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

So another question to any cap guys and gals out there... I keep hearing that Mahomes future deal could be around 40mil a year. That Dak wants around 39, and the Boys are only willing to go to around 33. Now the reason I bring this up is because the debate of being able to win a champion ship with a QB contract eating a major portion of cap hasn't been done. I know Aaron created some money for this year, but next year it's right back up there. Sorry, I can't remember the numbers. Finally the point... The 2020 cap is projected to go up by 8 mil, and then in two years we will have a new CBA agreement. So basically, short story long, If the cap goes up, and they make a deal to increase it even more does a 30-40 mil deal a year ever become functional for a team? Just curious because I don't see this trend going away.

My thoughts are this...the Rodgers deal, with hindsight, is probably a so-so deal.  Maybe the team should have let him play out his deal and used a possible franchise tag on him.  Again...maybe.

But...here we are and your point is correct.  Cap is going up.  Some young studs are going to get paid big time.

I don't feel like the Rodgers contract is going to limit GB in any sort of crippling way.

What will limit GB is the play of Aaron Rodgers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

this team was the healthiest team in the NFL (no source here, just my feel for what happened).

It still won way too many games than it should have.

So, my question to the forum is... can this team win the SB as a wild card?  Can it win as a 3 or 4 seed?  Or does it need to have a bye?

If you answer is that the team needs to have a bye to win the SB, the numbers suggest that this team will win 9 or 10 games next year and maybe squeak into the playoffs.

My personal thoughts is that a bye is the best way to win the SB because while you might come out a bit slow in the divisional round, you are often on much better footing than a non-bye team come the NFC championship. 

This team has a lot to overcome and needs to take a significant leap just to win 11 or 12 games.  Keeping the status quo and "running back this year" will in all likelihood not end with a playoff bye.  Schedule will be tougher, team will be more injured.

It is much harder to win the super bowl as a wildcard than a 1st/2nd seed.    It can happen, but winning 3 games on the road vs playoff teams and the 2nd of those games when a team has had a bye the week prior is a tough ask.