Packers Regression

skibrett15

14 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Of course areas of the team will regress, that applies to all teams. Every team has older players who could decline next year.  Every team will have injuries next year that could if they are in key areas derail the team

Like other teams, we have a lot of young players who could get better next year making the team better. We will probably have free agents coming in and a new draft class. If the stuff making the team better outweighs the stuff that makes us regress then we get better ......  at this point we don't know.

As for "Unfortunately there is no realistic avenue to upgrade the QB play". A lot of the passing game is based on timing, you would expect that to be a lot better in the second year of a new system. The receiving group is the worst Rodgers has ever played with in his professional career. We don't know who will be drafted or signed but you would like to think the group will be significantly improved.  Rodgers skills may continue to regress but its extremely realistic to hope for much better results from the passing game and much better results from Rodgers next year. No guarantees of course. 

Forget the 13-3.  That is irrelevant. Its a new season, lets hope we have a good team - we have a very good base to work from.

I  think the whole get a WR2 and fix the run defence and we are sorted thing is overblown though. There is a good chance these get addressed but we will have holes next year. We don't know what they are yet but we will have them and have to hope we can overcome them. 

Do players ever really perform better in their 37 year old season than their 36 year old season barring a significant injury the previous year?

Hard to imagine his garbage deep ball getting better. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do players ever really perform better in their 37 year old season than their 36 year old season barring a significant injury the previous year?

Yes, a lot of QBs. Manning had freaking 12 month neck surgery and came back and put up the greatest statistical season for a QB. You're bordering on Outpost level nonsense that I just ignore when it comes to our QB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, a lot of QBs. Manning had freaking 12 month neck surgery and came back and put up the greatest statistical season for a QB. You're bordering on Outpost level nonsense that I just ignore when it comes to our QB.

Our 30 million dollar QB just lost us a playoff game. And took like zero heat for it. 

Rodgers pay for play right now is the biggest issue the Packers have in 2020. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Our 30 million dollar QB just lost us a playoff game. And took like zero heat for it. 

Rodgers pay for play right now is the biggest issue the Packers have in 2020. 

Rodgers could've had a 158.3 rating and we still had a good chance of losing that game. He didn't play great, needs to be better. I refuse to out sole blame on him for that game. No one played well. Also, the hell does that game have to do with 2020. Z sucked too, are we writing him off now? You hate Rodgers...we get it, a bit over seeing it in every thread. It reads as straight up pessimistic, not realistic.

• Like 1

I for one really have to agree with AG20 on this.   We can talk about receivers all we want, and yeah sure any team is better off with BETTER receivers.  Our issue though is better QB play, which we were lacking far too often last year and for a while now.  Rodgers's inaccuracy at times is apparent, I'm a lot more worried about his decision making in the pass game and beyond.  Why would he improve at this point?

Edited by 15412

9 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I for one really have to agree with AG20 on this.   We can talk about receivers all we want, and yeah sure any team is better off with BETTER receivers.  Our issue though is better QB play, which we were lacking far too often last year and for a while now.  Rodgers's inaccuracy at times is apparent, I'm a lot more worried about his decision making in the pass game and beyond.  Why would he improve at this point?

Because this is a generational QB we're talking about. Maybe the most talented one ever to play (if Mahomes doesn't take that title) and we're talking about him like he's an aging Chad Pennington. It's ridiculous lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Hate to wade into this, but maybe it's because it was the whole offense's first year in a new scheme. 

Agree that he missed some wide open guys, but to blame him for the Debacle II in Frisco is a little stretched.  When the other team runs you into the ground and you (not you personally) want to blame our QB?  Seems like there is plenty of reasons we didn't compete.  I'm thinking that Rodgers is doing a lot of self scouting and will come into next year with more command of the offense.  We tend to compare him to himself when he was the very best QB in the league, fair or unfair that is a bar that nobody in the league can live up to right now.

Edited by Dubz41

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers could've had a 158.3 rating and we still had a good chance of losing that game. He didn't play great, needs to be better. I refuse to out sole blame on him for that game. No one played well. Also, the hell does that game have to do with 2020. Z sucked too, are we writing him off now? You hate Rodgers...we get it, a bit over seeing it in every thread. It reads as straight up pessimistic, not realistic.

Pettine was an absolute disaster. No argument. 

But Rodgers had 14 drives in the first half against the 49ers this year. Her produced 0 points and turned the ball over 3 times. 

If that was an anomaly, that would be one thing. But we've now got an EXTENSIVE history indicating that Rodgers just isn't good enough against good defenses, especially in the playoffs. 

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because this is a generational QB we're talking about. Maybe the most talented one ever to play (if Mahomes doesn't take that title) and we're talking about him like he's an aging Chad Pennington. It's ridiculous lol.

Yeah .. it is ridiculous.  Hopefully with some legit NFL talent at wideout Rodgers can start silencing some critics.  He's got things to cleanup, but a step in the right direction would be adding legit NFL talent at WR.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. it is ridiculous.  Hopefully with some legit NFL talent at wideout Rodgers can start silencing some critics.  He's got things to cleanup, but a step in the right direction would be adding legit NFL talent at WR.

Receiver talent wasn't the reason our offense failed in the playoffs. 

When our good receiver got hurt, the offense played better. 

• Like 1

This is not the first year ol' Rodgers has been lacking.   I've witnessed this for a few years now.  Of course before it was all MM's fault, or at least their relationship.   Rodgers is still a good NFL QB.  He is not elite and we are paying for elite.

And you can claim his injuries shortened some years but some of those have been exactly part of what I am talking about.   Hold the ball a little longer maybe and get the other collar bone busted on a legit hit.  There are a whole number of decision making fails from ignoring open receivers and poor check down reads and other low percentage decision making at hand here.

Take what is there and move the chains is the definition of an efficient offense.  And leave the ego trip at home.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tom Brady 

Age 36: 60.5 Cmp%/4343 yards/25 TDs/11 INTs/87.3 RTG

Age 37: 64.1Cmp%/4109 yards/33 TDs/9 INTs/97.4 RTG

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Receiver talent wasn't the reason our offense failed in the playoffs. 

When our good receiver got hurt, the offense played better. 

I think timing is a huge thing with Rodgers and if routes are off, or guys aren't where they are supposed to be Rodgers kind of falls apart a bit.   Yeah, the offense may have played better when Adams went down, but some of that could easily be attributed to the team stepping up and rallying.  Also, the game plans may have been simplified some to help get past the loss of Adams.  One thing I do know .. Allison, MVS and Kumerow were not NFL quality options in 2019.  

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I think timing is a huge thing with Rodgers and if routes are off, or guys aren't where they are supposed to be Rodgers kind of falls apart a bit.   Yeah, the offense may have played better when Adams went down, but some of that could easily be attributed to the team stepping up and rallying.  Also, the game plans may have been simplified some to help get past the loss of Adams.  One thing I do know .. Allison, MVS and Kumerow were not NFL quality options in 2019.  

MVS is an NFL quality option. 

Team didn't "step up," offense wasn't "simplified."  Rodgers had to throw to other options or lose. 

This is Rodgers in a nut shell.  Look at the Niners game and you'll see a QB who was too scared to do anything until it was do something or lose.  That has been Rodgers since 2014. 

Rodgers had the best game of his entire career against Oakland with Davante out.  Oakland is not a bad defense.  He followed that up with a really strong outing against the Super Bowl winning defense. 

13.8 yards per attempt against the Raiders.  429 yards.  5 touchdowns.  0 interceptions.  158.3 QB rating. 

YOU LITERALLY CANNOT HAVE A BETTER QB RATING.

It was literally at the very least tied for Aaron's best game in his career. 
9.2 yards per attempt, 305 yards, 3 touchdowns, no picks, 129 rating. 

Adams comes back.  Adams has 7 receptions for 41 total yards, which is really bad. 
Rodgers has 4.6 yards per attempt.

So you're telling me that it was a simplified offense and other players just stepping up?

Why haven't they stepped up ever before? 

It's Rodgers.  Rodgers is a whiny ***** who hurts his own team with his whiny ***** particularly anal perfectionism.  He needs to STFU and throw the ball.