Mark Dantonio resigns from MSU; potential recruiting violations

catcheryea

I think this is a job Luke Fickell would have taken for sure if not for the weird circumstances. He wouldn’t have met with the athletic director if he wasn’t interested. Fickell to Michigan State made sense for a while, before Dantonio abruptly retired. Those close to him have even suggested this was a job he was waiting on, prior to recent developments. I don’t really even think this is a case of him waiting on a bigger job. He is a Big Ten guy.  I do think he is probably on the shortlist for a better job next season, depending on what opens up. Cincinnati should have a really good season next year. If Mike Norvell was able to get a Florida State job this year, I wouldn’t rule out a jump to a program like USC next year assuming no big names like Urban get in the mix. Notre Dame also would make a lot of sense if Brian Kelly were to leave in the next couple of seasons.

As it stands, I think he made the right decision on this one. I don’t really know what type of sanctions, if any, that Michigan State could be facing. But I do know that Michigan State is going to have a hard time right now in the Big Ten East with Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan, given the additional factors involved in East Lansing as well. Best case scenario, Michigan State is probably stuck as a floor loss team for the foreseeable future. There is no urgency to get out of Cincinnati. He has a good thing going there. Ride it out until a better opportunity comes up. I don’t really think any blueblood ACC jobs open up in the next year or so, but that conference is ripe for the picking right now. It is a one team conference. A big-time coach could come in right now and within a couple seasons compete much easier than some of the other P5 destinations. 

This what happens when you put an average administrator in an important position like AD.  Beekman is a joke, and should be replaced asap.  He didn't even offer a contract, just said you can have the job if you want.  Mark Hollis would have had Fickell in EL for the interview and wouldnt have let him leave without signing a contract.  If the board wasn't confident in Fickell, they shouldnt have let it get as far as they did.  This whole thing is a dumpster fire and if we end up with Bielema or Pelini, I am going to puke and cancel my season tickets.