Jaguars hire former 49era GM Trent Baalke as new Director of Player Personnel

.Buzz

Well, i really hope he has nothing to do with your draft board. If so, prepare for a deluge of ACL guys who can't play their first year and some pretty horrible draft classes overall. 

Though I will say that his drafts do look a little better now that Armstead played competently this year and Ward / Tartt managed to play almost full seasons this year. 

But yeah, he's one of the worst drafters I have seen. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Well, i really hope he has nothing to do with your draft board. If so, prepare for a deluge of ACL guys who can't play their first year and some pretty horrible draft classes overall. 

Though I will say that his drafts do look a little better now that Armstead played competently this year and Ward / Tartt managed to play almost full seasons this year. 

I highly doubt Director of Player Personnel is going to be the one making the call on picks.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I highly doubt Director of Player Personnel is going to be the one making the call on picks.

For your sake, I hope not. His drafts were brutal. 

That being said, I was one of the few that actually liked his free agency approach for a team that was close to competing. He took shots on good buy low guys and most of his moves made sense in that regard. He had some iffy deals with regards to extensions (Vance McDonald, Carlos Rogers), but he took reasonable risks and found some really good value free agents during his time in SF. He's probably not a guy I want to be in charge of a ton of cap space, but he can navigate some solid deals with limited room. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

For your sake, I hope not. His drafts were brutal. 

That being said, I was one of the few that actually liked his free agency approach for a team that was close to competing. He took shots on good buy low guys and most of his moves made sense in that regard. He had some iffy deals with regards to extensions (Vance McDonald, Carlos Rogers), but he took reasonable risks and found some really good value free agents during his time in SF. He's probably not a guy I want to be in charge of a ton of cap space, but he can navigate some solid deals with limited room. 

Again, Caldwell is the GM. He will be making the calls for who is picked (along with Marrone who is splitting decision making responsibility). Baalke is not the GM or at the top of football operations.

On 04/02/2020 at 2:18 PM, Forge said:

Yeah.  That's what i hope the plan in all of this is.

I'd guess they're turning the reins on drafting, back over fully to Caldwell...where he's actually been alright (outside of abysmal 1st round performance).  Seems like they're bringing in Baalke to kinda "Co-GM" as the more Pro-Scouting/Contracts oriented side of things.

Honestly, my impression was mostly that Baalke was a big part of driving a championship caliber team into the ground.  This seems like a bad partnership with the guy in Caldwell who got demoted...then re-promoted, in charge of running an embarrassing Jaguars team forever now.  I don't understand how a "two-headed monster" like this is going to work any better than Coughlin roaming around the halls yelling at clouds or whatever.

But honestly...i don't see people lining up for positions like this with the Jaguars right now.  At least Baalke has a lot of experience and he is still associated with the Niners when theye were kinda good for a while back then.

Just flipping through the Baalke drafts...it really is ghastly.  It's just a bunch of injured guys and HWS flyers that didn't ever work out.  The saving grace is some studs like...back when it's hard to attribute anything directly to him.