Boston trades Mookie to the Dodgers

pwny

53 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Id blame Dombrowski but at least Boston got a championship out of it.

You shouldn't. Dombrowski is a known quantity. He's going to decimate your farm system and load up your team, then bail a few years later. There aren't many GMs that go all in nearly as well as he does.

He did exactly what Boston paid him to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Yep, this is my view of the deal as well. People are letting redsox ownership off the hook too by trying to justify it.

"Mookie was going to test free agency no matter what so I don't mind the redsox stapling david price to him to save money they wont spend on the team down the road". When you say it like that you sound like a complete dunce. 

Not as bad as selling Babe Ruth for money to pay for your theater ventures, but its not that far off. Purely a cash dump from one of the premier franchises in sports. gross

It's not Babe Ruth bad, but the reality is that Boston resetting the luxury tax doesn't save them much money unless they go up over $275MM and get into the major penalties. They save something like $10M/year in penalties. They have a draft pick go down 10 spots (not even a lost pick), which is worth a couple million. At most, you're talking about $25MM total. And that's if the payroll immediately bounces back.

This was a standard salary dump that would make Jeffrey Loria jealous.

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You shouldn't. Dombrowski is a known quantity. He's going to decimate your farm system and load up your team, then bail a few years later. There aren't many GMs that go all in nearly as well as he does.

He did exactly what Boston paid him to do.

I'm a Tigers fan. We get nothing. :D

Edited by nagahide13

On 2/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, MookieMonstah said:

Not really. Luxury tax was going to be brutal and cost us draft picks. We re-set it this year and splurge again next off-season, pretty common practice. I wouldn't be surprised if we gave Mookie the highest offer next off-season.

Yeah, a bunch of contenders have done this. The Dodgers, the Yankees, etc.

And LOL at people thinking the Red Sox got cold feet because of the media reaction. Yeah, I'm sure Bloom and Henry had no idea that trading MOOKIE BETTS would have some backlash. Get a grip.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:28 AM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Yeah, a bunch of contenders have done this. The Dodgers, the Yankees, etc.

And LOL at people thinking the Red Sox got cold feet because of the media reaction. Yeah, I'm sure Bloom and Henry had no idea that trading MOOKIE BETTS would have some backlash. Get a grip.

None of the players the Yankees and Dodgers traded were near the level of Mookie though. I couldn’t imagine them trading Bellinger or Judge.

But as @MookieMonstah said, if they sign him in the off season it’ll all obviously be worth it. The question comes down to odds you can convince him to stay during the season vs assets and chances at signing him next offseason.

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

He missed the last few months of the season and the playoffs for it but didn't know it might cost him time in 2020 as well. No wonder AF was willing to trade him. 

When trading for Mookie you gotta give up something. He is young and good but at least this makes it easier to trade but still we get Mookie. At least it wasn't Lux

• Like 1