Boston trades Mookie to the Dodgers

pwny

14 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I know Boston offered Mookie a long term deal, but he wanted to test the waters. Was he really that unhappy in Boston, if so, why?

He was dead set on becoming a free agent and also feels like it's his "duty" to hit the market for the players. He wasn't signing any extension.

Doesn't make it sting any less, though.

I’m surprised more teams weren’t in on price/Betts for what they went for... i saw Boston is paying half of prices contract or so... 3 yrs 48 mil of price isn’t that bad(wheeler got 5 yrs 118 mil)  and worst case with Betts if you don’t resign him you get a comp pick correct? 

32 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

It just baffles me how you can’t retain Mookie freakin Betts. You aren’t the Tampa Bay Rays, you’re the Boston Red Sox. You don’t let this happen. Oof

They're trying to get under the luxury tax. Seeing Betts go sucks, but he's going to make an insane amount of money next offseason.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

It just baffles me how you can’t retain Mookie freakin Betts. You aren’t the Tampa Bay Rays, you’re the Boston Red Sox. You don’t let this happen. Oof

This wasn't about money. He was never going to sign an extension. He wanted to test FA. 

Everyone is ragging on the Sox but to me this is simple
1. Were they going to compete this year with the team they had
2a. If yes then this is stupid
2b. If no then this is smart

I think the answer to 1 is no so this smart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

He was dead set on becoming a free agent and also feels like it's his "duty" to hit the market for the players. He wasn't signing any extension.

Doesn't make it sting any less, though.

38 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This wasn't about money. He was never going to sign an extension. He wanted to test FA. 

Everyone is ragging on the Sox but to me this is simple
1. Were they going to compete this year with the team they had
2a. If yes then this is stupid
2b. If no then this is smart

I think the answer to 1 is no so this smart.

I mean tbf guys they kind of lowball him if the reports are accurate.  They offered him $200M after last season the same time Bryce was getting $330M, Machado was getting $300M, and Trout was getting $426M.  More recent reports say he had $300M on the table at some point which is closer to his market value if true, but still.  If I'm him, I'm a step up from Harper and Machado and trying to get as close to Trout money as possible and $200M for probably the second best player in baseball is a joke.

No he's not Trout as TLO has established in his endless wars with Boston sports writers but if the Sox had offered him 350-400 after last season, my guess is he'd have been in Boston for life.  That was his market value at the time and probably still is.

Edit: I guess the $200M was after the 2017 season and $300M after last year.  That's a little more reasonable but still feels like a bit of a lowball offer compared to what the other three guys signed up for.  He almost exactly the same age as Harper and a much better player.  He's younger than Trout.  He was coming off a historic 10 WAR season.  I think it would be fair to think 10/350+ should've been the starting point.

Edited by mission27
  • Like 2