Boston trades Mookie to the Dodgers

pwny

11 hours ago, tom cody said:

Guess the deal got done. Wish the Red Sox would have got more than just Verdugo from the Dodgers for Betts and Price. A guy like Betts you should be able to get a excellent return. Not sure Verdugo is that. 

I think it was a pretty good deal from the Red Sox perspective.  Because of other bad contracts from Dave Dombrowski, they were in lose-lose territory here in regards to money and the luxury tax.  Also, after listening to Jim Bowden on MLBNR today, he had previously spoken to both DD and Alex Cora and the Betts camp rebuffed all efforts to negotiate a deal at all- it was clear he was heading to test free agency.  

So the Dodgers taking on $27 million in salary from Betts, plus $48 million from David Price, who is injured again and may not be ready for the start of the year.  In return, they are getting Alex Verdugo, a former top prospect who is likely a 3-4 win player, with a plus glove in RF and whose bat will translate well to his new home park, and Graterol is a top 100 guy as well with a big arm that is worth taking a gamble on.  

So if you don't trade Betts,  they were going to lose him instead of dumping salary and getting under the luxury tax, and getting back two above-average pieces.  Even with Betts and Price, there are injury concerns with Sale and Eovaldi, an average at best bullpen, but they still possess a good offensive team as well as good defense.  If things go right for Boston, they could still sneak into the playoffs, but as of right now, the Yankees and Rays are better teams.  

I think Bloom did the best that he could, and at least one of the trade pieces is going to adequately replace Betts immediately.  That's hard to say about replacing the second best player in baseball.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

They offered him a market value deal afterwards, reports are he declined and asked for 15 years which is absurd. It's both, and it usually is in these situations. 

11 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Literally no one is saying this 

Look it sounds like Mookie was lowballed had every intention of testing FA didn’t want to commit to anything right now unless it was unbelievably favourable I think this is Red Sox doing some PR spinning which IS in fact creating this narrative that Mookie is the bad guy for not taking what is perceived as market value. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Look it sounds like Mookie was lowballed had every intention of testing FA didn’t want to commit to anything right now unless it was unbelievably favourable I think this is Red Sox doing some PR spinning which IS in fact creating this narrative that Mookie is the bad guy for not taking what is perceived as market value. 

lol no. Red Sox offered him over 300M, and I believe he wanted 12 years 400M. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, pretty decent chance the Red Sox offer Mookie the biggest deal in free agency. #Yaplayedyourself

41 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

lol no. Red Sox offered him over 300M, and I believe he wanted 12 years 400M. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, pretty decent chance the Red Sox offer Mookie the biggest deal in free agency. #Yaplayedyourself

12/400 is more market for Mookie than 300 is.  300 is a borderline lawball offer.

Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are $300M players.  Mookie is a huge step up from both of those guys.

• Like 1

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Must've missed the "over" in that sentence

The reports I saw said the Sox offered 10/$300m and he wanted 12/$400m

Maybe the reporting is wrong, but if it’s right, the Red Sox didn’t do everything they could to resign him.  He asked for a market deal and they decided to trade him instead 

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The reports I saw said the Sox offered 10/$300m and he wanted 12/$400m

Maybe the reporting is wrong, but if it’s right, the Red Sox didn’t do everything they could to resign him.  He asked for a market deal and they decided to trade him instead 

I'm trying to find it but a pretty plugged in Boston guy said the last offer they made was over 300M, he said it weeks ago. Regardless, even if they offered him 400M Mookie has been dead set on testing free agency. Which is 100% his right, it also makes sense for Boston to trade him instead of potentially losing him for nothing. This could be a best case scenario where we end up getting two good pieces for him and then we sign him in the off-season anyways.

11 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm trying to find it but a pretty plugged in Boston guy said the last offer they made was over 300M, he said it weeks ago. Regardless, even if they offered him 400M Mookie has been dead set on testing free agency. Which is 100% his right, it also makes sense for Boston to trade him instead of potentially losing him for nothing. This could be a best case scenario where we end up getting two good pieces for him and then we sign him in the off-season anyways.

If he countered with 12/400 what makes you think he wouldn’t have accepted 12/400?  That is market for him.  That’s about what he’d get as a free agent.  That’s what he was asking for.  That’s what the Sox said no to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

If he countered with 12/400 what makes you think he wouldn’t have accepted 12/400?  That is market for him.  That’s about what he’d get as a free agent.  That’s what he was asking for.  That’s what the Sox said no to.

He countered at 12/420. Mookie isnt Trout. If someone else wants to pay him like Trout, so be it. The Red Sox didn't "Low ball" him this off-season though, it sounds like they offered him a ton of freaking money.

We will see what happens next off-season.

15 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Mookie never wanted to stay in Boston. He's the 2nd best player in baseball, sure. But imagine what he could be marketed as in LA or a bigger city than Boston.

Strongly disagree.  In baseball, being on the Red Sox is second only to being on the Yankees.  Big LA market or not nobody watches west coast baseball, a lot of people in LA could care less about baseball.  It’s the reason Trout isn’t as big a deal as he should be.  The Sox are on national TV all the time and play in a big market (and even bigger sports market), get to play the Yankees 19 times a year, and have a top-2 fan base in the sport both in the country and globally.  It’s a great marketing opportunity.  Look at Big Papi.