Boston trades Mookie to the Dodgers

pwny

9 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

He countered at 12/420. Mookie isnt Trout. If someone else wants to pay him like Trout, so be it. The Red Sox didn't "Low ball" him this off-season though, it sounds like they offered him a ton of freaking money.

We will see what happens next off-season.

12 year deal is market in baseball for a 26 year old superstar.  You’ve gotta buy out some rough years at the end to sign a player of that caliber and in your mid 20s that means a very long contract.  

35m is what one of the top-2 players in the sport should be paid per year.  That’s less than Trout makes.  It’s a little more than guys like Arrenado and Miguel Cabrera and Giancarlo Stanton, who are all good but not at Mookies level and all signed deals in softer markets.

12x35=420.  Simple math.

Trout could have asked for $40m+ per season and somebody would’ve paid it.  He took a discount to stay where he was comfortable.  If teams are going to use that to argue that no other player should break $400m, then Mookie is absolutely right to test free agency.  Because someone will pay him $400m+ and it’s the right thing for him and the players at large.

Its pretty ridiculous to expect Mookie is going to take below market value to stay in Boston when there’s no salary cap and the team regularly runs the highest payroll in baseball or close it and is worth billions.  It’s insulting to offer him $30m per year.  They were paying David Price $32m per year. 

Bottom line its clear Boston didn’t understand or want to pay Mookie what he was worth and Mookie was aware of his market value.  That’s the disconnect here.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think it was a pretty good deal from the Red Sox perspective.  Because of other bad contracts from Dave Dombrowski, they were in lose-lose territory here in regards to money and the luxury tax.  Also, after listening to Jim Bowden on MLBNR today, he had previously spoken to both DD and Alex Cora and the Betts camp rebuffed all efforts to negotiate a deal at all- it was clear he was heading to test free agency.  

So the Dodgers taking on $27 million in salary from Betts, plus $48 million from David Price, who is injured again and may not be ready for the start of the year.  In return, they are getting Alex Verdugo, a former top prospect who is likely a 3-4 win player, with a plus glove in RF and whose bat will translate well to his new home park, and Graterol is a top 100 guy as well with a big arm that is worth taking a gamble on.  

So if you don't trade Betts,  they were going to lose him instead of dumping salary and getting under the luxury tax, and getting back two above-average pieces.  Even with Betts and Price, there are injury concerns with Sale and Eovaldi, an average at best bullpen, but they still possess a good offensive team as well as good defense.  If things go right for Boston, they could still sneak into the playoffs, but as of right now, the Yankees and Rays are better teams.  

I think Bloom did the best that he could, and at least one of the trade pieces is going to adequately replace Betts immediately.  That's hard to say about replacing the second best player in baseball.  

Yeah, they had to make the move, no doubt. Chances are Betts wasn't going to stay there after free agency. verdugo is a decent return plus that pitcher, just wish they got another player from the Dodgers. 

https://theathletic.com/1587470/2020/02/06/rosenthal-three-team-mookie-betts-trade-held-up-may-be-adjusted-over-medical-review/

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the three-team, five-player Mookie Betts trade is being held up due to concerns over Brusdar Graterol's medical review.

Graterol, the Twins' top pitching prospect, is supposed to go to the Red Sox along with young Dodgers outfielder Alex Verdugo, with Minnesota getting Kenta Maeda from the Dodgers and Los Angeles receiving both Betts and David Price. But the Boston front office now views Graterol "more as a reliever than as a starter" in the long term after looking over the hard-throwing right-hander's medical records. Rosenthal writes that the Red Sox "might ask for an additional player and/or money to bridge the gap" and that the trade should ultimately go through -- "but perhaps not in its original reported form." This situation has also stalled the deal that would send Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling to the Angels for infielder Luis Rengifo and prospects.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Bottom line its clear Boston didn’t understand or want to pay Mookie what he was worth and Mookie was aware of his market value.  That’s the disconnect here.

Paying him less than Gerrit Cole, Giancarlo Stanton (even after factoring in the 2 arb years Miami bought out), and Manny Machado (because of Manny's opt out) is not a real final offer. The only purpose of that type of offer is to convince Boston fans that they made a sincere attempt.

If Boston had started with something like 12/$360MM, this might have gone very differently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

lol no. Red Sox offered him over 300M, and I believe he wanted 12 years 400M. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, pretty decent chance the Red Sox offer Mookie the biggest deal in free agency. #Yaplayedyourself

I’m sorry for your loss

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

Strongly disagree.  In baseball, being on the Red Sox is second only to being on the Yankees.  Big LA market or not nobody watches west coast baseball, a lot of people in LA could care less about baseball.  It’s the reason Trout isn’t as big a deal as he should be.  The Sox are on national TV all the time and play in a big market (and even bigger sports market), get to play the Yankees 19 times a year, and have a top-2 fan base in the sport both in the country and globally.  It’s a great marketing opportunity.  Look at Big Papi.

That's true. I haven't spent much time on the west coast so I can't speak on that. It makes sense though. I just feel like Mook hasn't been nearly as popular or marketable as Papi, Manny in 04-07. Just seems less popular than them. But it's to be expected. Didn't play for us as long or help get us 3 things like Papi did.

Maybe it has to do with living in LA vs Boston? Not necessarily the baseball side of things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

That's true. I haven't spent much time on the west coast so I can't speak on that. It makes sense though. I just feel like Mook hasn't been nearly as popular or marketable as Papi, Manny in 04-07. Just seems less popular than them. But it's to be expected. Didn't play for us as long or help get us 3 things like Papi did.

Maybe it has to do with living in LA vs Boston? Not necessarily the baseball side of things.

Papi and Manny were a special pair.  Gonna be tough to top that.  

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You know you screwed up the trade when the other teams are so desperate they'll just give you more prospects to get it over the line.

True, but I'd still rather have 1 pretty good MLB ready prospect, a wildcard prospect and a 3rd piece vs. Just the comp pick when he walked...

Hindsight though, as BOS put themselves in the position in 1st place...

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You know you screwed up the trade when the other teams are so desperate they'll just give you more prospects to get it over the line.

You can’t really ask for a better return. Verdugo was a great prospect and had success at MLB level. Mookie is obviously a one year rental, you were never going to get multiple top prospects for him.

5 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

You can’t really ask for a better return. Verdugo was a great prospect and had success at MLB level. Mookie is obviously a one year rental, you were never going to get multiple top prospects for him.

Well I mean you obviously can, the Red Sox did.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

13 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I’m saying, the Red Sox got about what you’d expect given the circumstances. Sorry. Obviously you could ask for more.

Would have gotten more if they kept price.. 

Some might say the price is right, but happy Gilmore would tell you the price is wrong