Covington to Houston, Capela to Atlanta

CWood21

Link coming

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28638121/sources-robert-covington-clint-capela-part-4-team-12-player-deal

Rockets get - Robert Covington, Jordan Bell

Hawks get - Clint Capela, Nene

Wolves get - Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Jarred Vanderbilt

Nuggets get - Shabazz Napier, Gerald Green, Keita Bates-Diop, Noah Vonleh

MIN, DEN get 1st-round picks

Dude this is the craziest thing i've ever seen pulled off by a GM lol.   This is the witchery that schlenk pulled off over the last 3 or 4 years somehow.

Schlenk traded

Jeff Teague for a 1st round pick that tuned into Taurean Prince a few years ago.

He traded Prince for brooklyns 1st round pick #17 in 2019, and 2020 brooklyn pick and Allen Crabbe

He then traded one of those picks to move up to get Deandre Hunter at 4.

Then traded Crabbe for Teague back and Traevon Graham

Then traded the other 1st round pick for Clint Capela

So in total he somehow turned Jeff Teague    into      Jeff Teague, Traevon Graham, Clint Capela and a pick that got us Deandre Hunter

• Like 12

Disappointed that this is all the Nuggets could get for Juancho and Beasley, but I guess not too surprised, not like they are having great years. Going to miss them! Beasley I think has potential to easily be the best player involved in this deal in a couple years, very surprised we put him in Minny. I guess that really shows our FO didn't value him that much to ship him to division rival? Obviously chose Gary over him. Feels a bit pointless for Nuggets to only marginally improve team, surely could have gotten a better short term upgrade w/ Bealsey + Juancho than Green?

That being said, as high as I am on Beasley for his raw talent, he's not a defensive mined guy. Could he improve? Of course, but he's offensive centric. The Wolves should be doing everything they can to surround KAT, a special offensive talent, w/ defenders since evidently he is just not improving on that end... and if you're not willing to mask his defensive weaknesses w/ plus defenders, you have no future w/ him as the guy, so trade him ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't get this from the Nuggets perspective.

They also got KBD, Napier, and Vonleh. I think.

Didn't want to pay Beasley. And Juancho hasn't been good. 

I think KBD can be decent enough to cover some of what Beasley's absence left. And they got a 1st.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I think KBD can be decent enough to cover some of what Beasley's absence left. And they got a 1st.

That makes a little bit more sense.

5 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Yeah, they have some choices to make in regards to who they want to pay. Seems they chose to pay Grant, Morris, and MPJ so Beasley and Juancho were casualties of that. Getting assets for them and essentially resetting the clock was a good move.

Not a fan of this trade for any of the teams besides the Rockets. I like the Rockets haul the best because Covington is a perfect fit for their system and personality wise next to Harden/Westbrook/Tucker. Although it is hilarious how Morey has mortgaged their entire future with this trade and the CP3 deal. Dude has gone full Mikhail Prokorov.

The Hawks made out the worst in this deal. They'll probably win a few more games now and miss out on a top 3 pick and Capela is soft and injury prone with years left on his deal. Not sure why they had the urgency to get a center now while they're at the bottom of the standings and have a ton of cap space this offseason, while many teams won't.

Nuggets gave up two decent players for a very late 1st, not seeing much upside there but they didn't have a 1st this year and are good at drafting so I wouldn't really care if I was a Nuggets fan, I just think that pick will be about 5 spots too low for them to get anything good with it. And for the Timberwolves they seem too trigger happy in this deal and could have gotten more for Covington IMO.

Edited by Kirill

Any praise Atlanta is getting for this deal is ludicrous. Nets pick is currently 16th and they could easily play themselves out of a top 3 pick with Capela on their roster now. And it kills the cap flexibility they had this offseason. The deal would only remotely make sense if Capela was a huge culture shifting guy but I really doubt he is.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 1